Fatal Accident in Chiang Mai Claims Five Lives Including Pregnant Woman

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

A tragic car crash in Chiang Mai province led to the death of five people, including a pregnant woman carrying her unborn child. The accident took place on Chiang Mai-Phrao Road on May 9. Involved vehicles were a hospital ambulance and a pickup truck, carrying four and six individuals respectively.

The accident was reported to the Chiang Mai Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office around 5.20pm, after which authorities and rescue teams were immediately dispatched. Upon arrival, two highly damaged vehicles were found near a forest, with injured occupants. These injured individuals were immediately transferred to nearby hospitals while others had tragically died on the spot.

The medical worker and ambulance driver were amongst the injured. The latter being severely hurt while seated and needed to be extricated using special tools. The medical worker reportedly endured limb deformities from the incident.

Among the deceased are three people from the pickup truck and the pregnant woman with her fetus. The ambulance was transporting the pregnant lady to a hospital in Mueang district for childbirth when the accident happened.

Initial reports suggest the pickup driver lost control on the wet road causing the disastrous collision. An official investigation is currently underway to verify the exact cause of the accident.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-10

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

Initial reports suggest the pickup driver lost control on the wet road causing the disastrous collision. An official investigation is currently underway to verify the exact cause of the accident.

No that can't possibly be true because the driver is never at fault. The official investigation will be based solely on how much money changes hand.

• Confused 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AnotherOneHere said:

You mean black cars front left seat? Were all 5 people siting in this seat?

Op says 6 in the pickup.

Vehicle has two bucket seats in front which means there we 4 in the jump seat behind.

These extra cab vehicles do not have seat belt in the back.

Surely you have enough smarts to understand why 3 died in the pickup.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

pickup driver lost control on the wet road

Wet road? Never happened before in Chiangmai. So it's not the driver's fault. He drove the same style as always🙏

6 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

It looks like solid middle lines. Which one was overtaking or going into the oncoming lane? 

The report says the truck idiot lost control....but whatever....typical a***les on the roads!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Initial reports suggest the pickup driver lost control on the wet road causing the disastrous collision

My condolences to all involved and their families. What I found very sad was the situation where a dedicated medical team (ambulance) transporting and caring for the pregnant lady to give birth in hospital was suddenly "taken out" by the pickup - it must have been very traumatic, especially for the unborn baby's father. RIP to all deceased, including the unborn baby girl or boy. 😢

7 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

You mean black cars front left seat? Were all 5 people siting in this seat?

With respect, probably not. Maybe those killed in the truck were seated in the open rear with no seatbelts and were forcibly ejected onto the road etc. on sudden impact. I am sure we will never know. 

8 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

I never understand how people can die in accident like this. Damage is only outside of the passenger cabin. Passenger space is intact.

When one vehicle impacts another (or an inanimate object) there is a second impact, the occupants of each vehicle striking the interior. The third impact is the internal organs and brains of each occupant striking their ribcages/skulls. Either of these last two impacts can be fatal if the first is not. This is literally how seatbelts save lives.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

I never understand how people can die in accident like this. Damage is only outside of the passenger cabin. Passenger space is intact.

Lot of Thai are adverse to wearing seatbelts, my ex never used to wear one unless forced to by a taxi driver or such. Passenger space intact but bodies thrown around inside.

2 hours ago, neverere said:

When one vehicle impacts another (or an inanimate object) there is a second impact, the occupants of each vehicle striking the interior. The third impact is the internal organs and brains of each occupant striking their ribcages/skulls. Either of these last two impacts can be fatal if the first is not. This is literally how seatbelts save lives.    

This UK public service ad was/is disturbing, but explains the possible consequences of not wearing seatbelts ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

This UK public service ad was/is disturbing, but explains the possible consequences of not wearing seatbelts ...

But they worked... remember 'clunk click every trip'.. or 'only a fool breaks the two second rule'... perhaps Thais needs to see the results of a serious crash in all it's glory, instead of a load of pixilated tosh..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

But they worked... remember 'clunk click every trip'.. or 'only a fool breaks the two second rule'... perhaps Thais needs to see the results of a serious crash in all it's glory, instead of a load of pixilated tosh..

I just came back from Thailand which I visit twice a year I was the only one worn a seat belt 

2 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Agreed. They were very effective public safety campaigns - supported by effective, targeted policing. I'm not sure the police here would be capable/willing to provide the necessary support.

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I just came back from Thailand which I visit twice a year I was the only one worn a seat belt 

My car will not move an inch until every passenger has secured their seatbelt. The message was received and understood in less than half a minute.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

My car will not move an inch until every passenger has secured their seatbelt. The message was received and understood in less than half a minute.

Try telling those passengers seated in a minibus with no seatbelts 

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:
19 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Agreed. They were very effective public safety campaigns - supported by effective, targeted policing. I'm not sure the police here would be capable/willing to provide the necessary support.

I used to see 'smashed vehicles' on the side of the road - deliberately placed as a stark warning to anyone paying attention.

BUT...  It wouldn't take much at all for Thai Authorities to generate similar road safety campaigns as discussed above..

... Seat-belts, helmets, pedestrian crossings, speeding, tailgating etc...  

... also water safety campaigns, and electrical safety campaigns..

Just a couple of minutes of each, played in the TV breaks at peak intervals of TV viewing...  

Put them in TikTok, FaceBook etc..    have teachers play them at schools... 

All of this is completely and very easily doable, so why doesn't anything like this exist in Thailand ???

The only conclusion I come to is that those in positions of decision making power really do not care enough about this issue... its not profitable to them.

• Agree 1