Thai Airways' staggering journey from bankruptcy to recovery

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai Airways International has announced plans to finalize its restructuring efforts later this year, marking a remarkable comeback from the financial woes brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The airline, based in Bangkok, has been working tirelessly to reduce its debts and revamp its operations amid a sharp decline in air travel caused by the global health crisis.

With hopes high for a return to profitability, Thai Airways recently reported positive Q1 2024 results, signaling a promising path forward as it aims to relist on the stock market and regain its former standing in the industry.

Despite facing bankruptcy protection in 2020, Thai Airways has undergone significant changes over the past four years, implementing a wide-ranging restructuring plan to revitalize the company.

While the airline managed to stay profitable in Q1 2024, challenges remain, including rising operating costs and a decrease in restructuring gains that led to an 80% drop in net profit compared to the previous year. However, the airline saw an 11% increase in revenues, supported by a rise in passenger numbers.

Looking ahead, Thai Airways is looking to expand its operations with new European routes and the addition of more Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet.

Picture courtesy: Wikimedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Thai Airways reported a quarterly net profit of Bt2.4 billion ($65.2 million), down 80% compared to the year-ago period, where it recorded gains from restructuring and foreign exchange rates. 

Revenue rose about 11% year on year to Bt46 billion, with passenger revenues up about 10%. Thai carried close to 3.9 million passengers during the quarter, representing a 10% increase against the year-ago period. Traffic and capacity both grew around 10% as well, with passenger yields holding steady against 2023 levels.”

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/thai-airways-to-exit-restructuring-in-2024-as-first-quarter-profit-shrinks/158239.article

This was helped as revealed by one of the Board of Directors who shared data which shows that Thai in 2023 was the world’s highest profit margin making airline, as Thai is reportedly charging the highest margin on its ticket sales among all airlines.

This below was posted by Piyasvasti Amranaf who is an independent director.

IMG_2733.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, still kicking said:

Come on guys start picking on Thai not everybody comes from Europe. Nothing wrong with Thai if you come from Australia 

Brisbane? Delusional

Edited by findlay13

4 hours ago, webfact said:

marking a remarkable comeback from the financial woes brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Second miraculous recovery this year... 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

Come on guys start picking on Thai not everybody comes from Europe. Nothing wrong with Thai if you come from Australia 

I'm Aussie and fly Thai everywhere, not just to Australia.....while so many say they're too expensive...I don't know why.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, still kicking said:

Nothing wrong with Thai if you come from Australia 

True.....one thing they could do though is re-instate their Brisbane-Suvarnabhumi and return direct flights.

Right PIA to have to travel down to Sydney and back, not only the time (loose a day each way) but costs approx. an extra $1500 for myself and the wife.

Personally couldn't care less if Sydney sank into the harbour to be quite honest.

Hotels and flights with Qantas(yuk)

Edited by bluejets

The website is a dog's dinner. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I am referring to my attempts to book a flight to Nepal in November. Initially the website insisted that I wanted to fly today and return today. Sometimes the booking calendar appeared. Sometimes it did not. Eventually my outward and inward dates were recognized. I tapped to book and the page returned to today's date. I give up. A travel agent can do it for me. There are lots of pretty pictures on the website I give them that.

Thai Airways liabilities are still close to 300 billion THB. 

You can put that reduction from 500 billion THB down to old fleet sales and debt restructuring, but it very much appears like nothing has changed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thai Airways liabilities are still close to 300 billion THB. 

You can put that reduction from 500 billion THB down to old fleet sales and debt restructuring, but it very much appears like nothing has changed. 

Yes agree, and those liabilities grew by 7.3% in 2023.

https://ir.thaiairways.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/20240223-thai-mdna-y2023-EN.pdf

IMG_2738.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Thai Airways reported a quarterly net profit of Bt2.4 billion ($65.2 million), down 80% compared to the year-ago period, where it recorded gains from restructuring and foreign exchange rates. 

Revenue rose about 11% year on year to Bt46 billion, with passenger revenues up about 10%. Thai carried close to 3.9 million passengers during the quarter, representing a 10% increase against the year-ago period. Traffic and capacity both grew around 10% as well, with passenger yields holding steady against 2023 levels.”

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/thai-airways-to-exit-restructuring-in-2024-as-first-quarter-profit-shrinks/158239.article

This was helped as revealed by one of the Board of Directors who shared data which shows that Thai in 2023 was the world’s highest profit margin making airline, as Thai is reportedly charging the highest margin on its ticket sales among all airlines.

This below was posted by Piyasvasti Amranaf who is an independent director.

IMG_2733.jpeg

British Airways did not make the list? How sad is that....🤔

Thai Airways has completed the sale of 18 aircraft.

“Thai Airways International (THAI) announced the successful completion of the sale of its entire fleet of 18 retired aircraft, comprising six Boeing 777-200s, six Boeing 777-300s, and six Airbus A380s.

THAI CEO Chai Eamsiri confirmed on May 12 that sales agreements have been signed for all 18 aircraft. The airline has already completed the paperwork for six of the aircraft, with the remaining 12 expected to be finalised shortly.”

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2024/05/13/thai-airways-finalizes-sale-of-all-18-boeing-777-and-a380-aircraft/

If you read of an airline losing millions in a year, that is the amount of money lost in profit, compared with how much profit they thought they 

would get. No actual money was lost. I found this out with Air Canada loses, and I checked with my friend who works for them.

That is why airlines can "lose" money every year and not actually go broke or bankrupt.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 6:19 AM, jacko45k said:

Is my recollection faulty in that they were in plenty of trouble pre-Covid?

Correct. They were in massive trouble pre-Covid. They’re probably using it as an excuse to save a bit of face. 

• Agree 1