Michael Cohen Takes Center Stage in Trump's Hush Money Trial

image.png

Michael Cohen, Donald Trump's former lawyer and self-described "fixer," is set to testify against his ex-boss. Cohen's testimony is expected to shed light on a pivotal payment made to adult film star Stormy Daniels during the 2016 presidential campaign to silence her allegations of a sexual encounter with Trump.

Facing questioning from seasoned prosecutor Susan Hoffinger, Cohen will provide insights into the payment, which he claims he made at Trump's direction. The trial has garnered significant attention as Cohen's testimony is crucial to the prosecution's case, alleging that Trump falsified business records related to the reimbursement of the hush money.

Cohen's journey to the witness stand has been years in the making, with extensive cooperation with prosecutors and multiple interactions with investigators. His testimony is anticipated to reveal intricate details surrounding the payment and its subsequent reimbursement by Trump.

However, Trump's defense team led by attorney Todd Blanche aims to undermine Cohen's credibility, highlighting his criminal convictions, including perjury charges related to false statements made to Congress. Blanche contends that Cohen's motivations are fueled by an obsession with Trump and a desire to shift blame for his own legal troubles.

The trial has seen its share of dramatic moments, including Cohen's public criticisms of Trump on social media, prompting the presiding judge to caution against further violations of the gag order. Despite attempts by Trump's legal team to impose additional restrictions on Cohen, the judge refrained from granting a separate gag order but emphasized the need for restraint.

Cohens testimony so far:

So far, Michael Cohen has done exactly what prosecutors hoped he would do: Tying Donald Trump to every step and decision in the process of paying Stormy Daniels and others for their silence. Cohen has claimed Trump's motivations were to protect his presidential campaign, and he emphasised it was not for any other reason (as the defence has claimed).

Over and over again, Cohen has alleged he communicated with and received approval from Trump before taking each action that led to the hush-money payout to Daniels. But there is still much to come. We have yet to get to the actual actions that spurred charges in this case. We've only just gotten to how Cohen was reimbursed for the payment to Daniels, and how those payments were recorded in Trump's business records.

Prosecutors must also use his testimony to show intent - that Trump sought to conceal the true nature of the reimbursement of Cohen. We heard a bit of that today, but prosecutors will likely need more to make their case.

We will also likley see the defence's cross examination tomorrow, and we can expect them to vigorously look for holes and contradictions in Cohen's account of Trump's alleged involvement.

As the trial nears its conclusion, with only a few witnesses remaining, Cohen's testimony holds significant weight in determining the outcome of the case. Trump's potential decision to testify in his defense adds another layer of uncertainty to the proceedings, with the trial unfolding against the backdrop of his son's high school graduation.

Credit: NBC News 2024-05-14

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought the charges were not about paying women to keep quiet but from where the money was illegally diverted. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Tug said:

yup there’s that pesky evidence big time in black and white on tape ya da ya da ya da your trump is in deep trouble the only thing that will let him get away with it is a hung jury that’s it they have him dead to rights

What evidence? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I thought these two pictures taken May 13th provide excellent insight into what Michael Cohen's demeanor on the witness stand was like. Does not look to me like someone whose credibility would be easy to undermine, especially with all of the corroborating evidence. I suspect the tragic sadness in his eyes and his stoic bearing will resonate with the jury. This simply does not look like a man who is committing perjury.

e680bcb_2024-05-13t115912z-1045901371-rc2np7ab261k-rtrmadp-3-usa-trump-new-york.jpeg.f271f3bfd494c723402d0c81934128e8.jpeg

Michael Cohen, former lawyer of Donald Trump, leaving his apartment to testify at the criminal trial of the ex-president of the United States on May 13, 2024.  Photo credit: Mike Segar / Reuters

6d71d5d_5468069-01-06.jpeg.827fd4d9f94b2c745746650166e1462b.jpeg

Michael Cohen returning to his residence after testifying at the criminal trial in Manhattan on May 13th, 2024. Photo credit: Michael M. Santiago / AFP

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And other than a voyeuristic yearning what do the tweets have to do with the evidence?  This really is a trash trial when it comes to points of law and admissibility of evidence.  But that is the democrap party way... so get your jollies now while you can... 

Is there any part of the prosecution's case with which you disagree?

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Plus Hope Hicks and David Pecker all saying the same thing.

What part of the prosecution's case don't you believe?

Not following it at all, and just seeing the headlines here.   How many cases against the leading political opponent ?  

Tyranny rules IMHO.   The USA that might have been (or never was), will never be again.  Total control to the puppeteers ... IMHO

Love it or Leave it ... cheney/bush 2 was the last straw for me.

walk it like I talk it ... nuff said

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 5

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

However, you are free to state that you don't care about the facts, you just think that Trump is above the law, and should be released immediately.

Don't know where I stated that, but read into and make up whatever you want, as you always do.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are suggesting that Trump is innocent because the prosecution hasn't surprised us?

I never said Trump was innocent.

I think it is a made-up crime, that no one has ever been prosecuted for, and Biden's DOJ sent one of their top guys to spin up. 

What do you think his is guilty of?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know where I stated that, but read into and make up whatever you want, as you always do.

That's all he ever does it make stuff up. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Plus Hope Hicks and David Pecker all saying the same thing.

What part of the prosecution's case don't you believe?

The part where Trump has committed an actual crime, much less a felony. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The issue here isn't your feelings, when Charles Manson was on trial, a lot of his followers felt badly.

The question is whether the prosecution has laid out the facts of the case correctly.

However, you are free to state that you don't care about the facts, you just think that Trump is above the law, and should be released immediately.

I thought you said there were no facts yet, which is it?