What Upsets Thai People?

Neeranam

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only time i ever had any problem with a angry thai was a woman, she want me to pay twice for spring rolls, (i was sure i did pay, cuz i even count down coins) then i noticed she was just trying to steal money, i told her "okay, u know? i will pay u again, 25 baht wont make me richer, but your buddha is looking at u" then she tryes to hit me. lol, was a police officer near by to who i asked for hel (no way i was going to punch a 50 yrs old lady) and he came, he was kinda of angry at her, and he told me that she do the same thing every day.

shame on her.

Thai people generally welcome tourists and make allowances for us. The main grizzles I have found are:

* Burping after a meal

* Passing gas (Is it true Thai people don't fart?)

* Farangs who do not shower enough.

* Farangs who fail to show respect for their culture

Peter

Thai people not only fart, but it is a source of endless amusement to many. While they may not want to cut one in public, they will find it entertaining if you do, and farting ranks as a fail-safe source of fun among friends and family.

Being brought up in farting environment, two brothers, no sister, and my dad famous for multi-octave anal arias; I was quite surprised that I had married in to another farting culture. Really I would have been happy to lose that bit of heritage. I must say however the Thais don't seem to have as much creativity, the act I guess is enough.

NEW POST STARTS HERE

Thais can fart with the best of them and have a giggle about it.

But don't step over their foot.

Don't nudge the remote towards them with your foot.

Don't ever toss it to them.

And don't ever blow your nose with a clean tissue, especially while eating.

Stick an inhaler thing up your nostril and leave it there or go outside and hawk and spit on the ground. That's fine!

But worst of all is when FARANG TALK TOO MUCH!

Andrew Hicks

Edited by Andrew Hicks

Someone once told me the most upsetting thing was to call someone an issat (sp).

Anyone throw any light on this, i have never used this word btw.

Not a good word to get into your vocabulary until you have a good grip on the language. Literal translation - You animal! Eng. equiv. You F#####T. Will get you into trouble! Un-learn it would be better.

Soundman.

Someone once told me the most upsetting thing was to call someone an issat (sp).

Not a good word to get into your vocabulary until you have a good grip on the language. Literal translation - You animal! Eng. equiv. You F#####T. Will get you into trouble! Un-learn it would be better.

Soundman.

Yeah i thought it was something really bad, thanks for the info.

Not a word i plan on using!

Soundman.

Yeah i thought it was something really bad, thanks for the info.

Not a word i plan on using!

Oddly enough is featured in the trailer for the Thai 'gangster' comedy movie, was really surprised as were some others in the cinema. The main film was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix!

Regards

PS Agree unlearn :o

Thai people generally welcome tourists and make allowances for us. The main grizzles I have found are:

* Burping after a meal

* Passing gas (Is it true Thai people don't fart?)

* Farangs who do not shower enough.

* Farangs who fail to show respect for their culture

Peter

Thai people not only fart, but it is a source of endless amusement to many. While they may not want to cut one in public, they will find it entertaining if you do, and farting ranks as a fail-safe source of fun among friends and family.

My wife farts all the time our houseand thinks nothing of it, personally i find it a tad unfeminine!

My Thai (male) friend patted me on the head. I said "hey! I thought it was rude to pat people on the head." He said "it's ok for man to do to woman" -- so I patted him on the head back. He said "Hey!" and threatened to have me deported for being a bad farang. :o

Mad like hel_l when being asked to give back your changes.

Routinely run into some people who like to keep the extra changes.

Unfortunately, these are my relatives, friends or acquaintance. For example, they might give you a ride and stop to fill up at the gas station. Since it's their car, so I'm willing to pay for the gas. The total gas costs 640THB, if I hand out 1000THB bill to them to pay, after they got the change 360THB back, they would just put in their pocket. Same thing with the restaurant meals. They do it with a stright face.

I always generous to these people like if they pick me up in the middle of the night at the airport, as soon as I step inside the car, I will hand him 200USD for his trouble. But trying to rob you under your nose is a no-no.

To take the change and put it in your pocket :o IF you are quick enough :D

It's a different scenario, I hand them the money to go and pay for gas, meals or tours..etc. Any decent one should give you back the change or whatever left from, instead they just keep it. It puzzles me.

I don't mind being more generous to them (afterall these guys are not strangers) since I consider I have a little more than them. I give whatever at my own free will, but have to draw the line when it draws on you that you're being taken advantage.

Being asked if your hungry when you go to bed and saying "yes"

Throwing away rice when she gives you enough on your plate to feed a family, again !

Giving her enough rice to feed a family on her plate.

Being asked the same thing 5 times and giving a different answer the 5th time !

Asking the same thing 5 times.

Returning an item the wife has bought for you after being told " I don't want it thanks " (only works in the UK)

Buying an item she says she dos'nt want anyway ( works anywhere )

Gotta love em :o

Mad like hel_l when being asked to give back your changes.

Routinely run into some people who like to keep the extra changes.

Unfortunately, these are my relatives, friends or acquaintance. For example, they might give you a ride and stop to fill up at the gas station. Since it's their car, so I'm willing to pay for the gas. The total gas costs 640THB, if I hand out 1000THB bill to them to pay, after they got the change 360THB back, they would just put in their pocket. Same thing with the restaurant meals. They do it with a stright face.

I always generous to these people like if they pick me up in the middle of the night at the airport, as soon as I step inside the car, I will hand him 200USD for his trouble. But trying to rob you under your nose is a no-no.

My p/t helper does the change thing, too. She pays bills for me and I only get the change back if I specifically remember to ask for it. Otherwise, I never see it again. To be fair, she does give it back (to the baht) with good grace when I do remember to ask for it. It seems to be like a game that she wins every time I forget to ask. :o

I'm starting to care less and less about hurting the childish feelings of large amounts of people who have a false sense of entitlement to things they do not deserve. :o Let them care about not hurting my f#cking feelings, eh? :D