Applying for OA in UK

I will be out of Thailand for my renewal of extension (marriage) and for the first time I am over 50 so have many ways to tackle this other than marriage non imm O / extensions I have used for a while. 

Despite the drawbacks of the OA (insurance etc) I am considering applying for one while on our summer UK / Euro trip as the 2 years would be useful. I have identified insurance thats reasonable enough cost so my issues are then police report and medical report. 

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months)
 - Applicant must provide a medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing that applicant has no prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, or third stage of Syphilis) with less than 3 months from the date of issue with official GP stamp and address. The medication certificate form can be downloaded below.

Does anyone have experience of obtaining this from a NHS or private Dr in the UK and what was the cost ? I suspect this is near impossible from the NHS ?? I couldn't even access a GP when I needed to in the uk a year or two back, total refusal and told to go to A&E.  

Certificate of criminal record clearance from the country of nationality or the country where the application is submitted
- Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO issued by the national police unit) 

Any guidance of the difficulty or not of obtaining this ?? 

If its too much effort I would probably rather a non imm O marriage than a single entry retirement for a few reasons.. I think London doesnt issue multiple entry 1 years for either of these ? Only single entry to extend incountry is that correct ?? Been extending incountry for so long that my experience back there is all pre covid and pre evisa. 

The police clearance is straight forward.

Not sure about the UK however assume same as Oz that it can be done online.

As for the medical......some medical clinics would just sign the form and others insist on various tests.

The cost would add up.

Here is form. 

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=600483 

My understanding is that you can obtain the "certificate" in Thailand. 

Good idea would be to obtain one while still in Thailand at a local hospital. 

Be aware that your first extension from a non O-A would need to be based on retirement.

Subsequent extensions could be based on marriage and those extensions do not require the pesky Insurance. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Does anyone have experience of obtaining this from a NHS or private Dr in the UK and what was the cost ? I suspect this is near impossible from the NHS ?? I couldn't even access a GP when I needed to in the uk a year or two back, total refusal and told to go to A&E.  

Again, this can be done online, many services on offer for about £79.00 and are country specific, including Thailand, so appear to know what's needed. Here's one.....https://www.zoomdoc.com/product/visa-medical-health-certificate-of-good-health?attribute_where-are-you-traveling-to=Thailand

• Like 1

I did it, albeit back in 2016, the police clearance using ACRO is straightforward and easy.

The medical certificate:

There was a lot of uncertainty about this at the time so:

I visited a local Thai clinic and got it signed for 360 baht with just the usual temperature check and weight/height checks.

In the U.K. i visited my old GP who I hadn’t seen for at least 25 years, she gave me a letter stating that she had reviewed my records and there was no evidence of any of the diseases stated.

I think it boils down to gp’s in the U.K. are unwilling to sign the medical certificate without actually testing whereas in Thailand ………

At the Thai embassy in London the U.K. letter was refused but the Thai certificate accepted.

Probably too late to get the Thai certificate signed i guess but don’t accept anything other than the official medical certificate signed in the U.K., a covering letter will not do ( in my case 8 years ago ).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

As for the medical......some medical clinics would just sign the form and others insist on various tests.

The cost would add up.

Here is form. 

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=600483 56.13 kB · 17 downloads  

My understanding is that you can obtain the "certificate" in Thailand. 

Good idea would be to obtain one while still in Thailand at a local hospital. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I did it, albeit back in 2016, the police clearance using ACRO is straightforward and easy.

The medical certificate:

There was a lot of uncertainty about this at the time so:

I visited a local Thai clinic and got it signed for 360 baht with just the usual temperature check and weight/height checks.

In the U.K. i visited my old GP who I hadn’t seen for at least 25 years, she gave me a letter stating that she had reviewed my records and there was no evidence of any of the diseases stated.

I think it boils down to gp’s in the U.K. are unwilling to sign the medical certificate without actually testing whereas in Thailand ………

At the Thai embassy in London the U.K. letter was refused but the Thai certificate accepted.

Probably too late to get the Thai certificate signed i guess but don’t accept anything other than the official medical certificate signed in the U.K., a covering letter will not do ( in my case 8 years ago ).

So the MFA guidance is not valid ?? 

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases...

It clearly states this multiple places, so I assumed the Thai certificate wouldnt be viable ??  

A medical certificate from Thailand is accepted, 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/retirement-visa

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months)
 - Applicant must provide a medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing that applicant has no prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, or third stage of Syphilis) with less than 3 months from the date of issue with official GP stamp and address. The medication certificate form can be downloaded below.

I did mine in Thailand the hospital did do the blood tests, i have read others just pay a few hundred baht and get the form signed, The NHS will not sign the form, there are private doctors who might sign the form put may want to carry out tests

• Like 1

No idea why you want to complicate your given position.

New Non O based on Thai spouse for re-entry to Thailand.
1 year permit of stay based on Thai spouse from Immigration.

Less hassle, less cost.

You can take out voluntary Health Insurance as desired from any Insurer, as opposed to being restricted to a TGIA Insurer.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Less hassle, less cost.

You can take out voluntary Health Insurance as desired from any Insurer, as opposed to being restricted to a TGIA Insurer.

Good advice by @Liquorice 

Don't get yourself in the quagmire of the Non Imm OA compliant Health-insurance, which is mandated when applying for and extending a Non Imm OA Visa.

Due to that @#$%^ mandatory Health-Insurance it is only in very specific cases that applying for that Visa might be considered (e.g. if you do not have or definitely do not want to keep +400K on a personal Thai bank-account).

Re the other option you mention:

Applying for and extending a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement does indeed involve far less administrative red-tape than the Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  But the latter only requires +400K on your personal Thai bank-account in the period from 2 months pre application till the actual Permission to stay stamped is stamped in your passport, while the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement requires you to permanently keep +800K during 5 months of the year and +400K during the intermediate 7 months.

14 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Applying for and extending a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement does indeed involve far less administrative red-tape than the Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage. 

You can't and don't extend a Non Imm 0 visa, and you know better than that.

13 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You can't and don't extend a Non Imm 0 visa, and you know better than that.

Of course I know, it was short-speak which everybody understands, and in this case there is no risk of it putting people on the wrong foot.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Of course I know, it was short-speak which everybody understands, and in this case there is no risk of it putting people on the wrong foot.

Lazy speak, not short speak, and no, not everybody understands, and those incorrect terms do put people on the wrong foot.

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

So the MFA guidance is not valid ?? 

A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases...

It clearly states this multiple places, so I assumed the Thai certificate wouldnt be viable ??  

Yes but as the Thai Embassy in London will be issuing the visa I would go with their guidelines.

MFA guidance has been wrong in the past, there was a glaring error on their website for many years ( don’t remember what it actually was ), Ubonjoe would frequently have to correct others quoting the MFA website.

• Like 1

Medical certificate not an issue if it needs to be valid 3 months and you are away for 2 months. Get one in Thailand, very cheap, this will be accepted for the OA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Less hassle, less cost.

Because I likely will be in and out and the 2 years without talking to local immigration is appealing.. Costs are not relevant really. 

End of the year will probably redo the LTR application to attempt 10 years without going to a local immigration !! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Because I likely will be in and out and the 2 years without talking to local immigration is appealing.. Costs are not relevant really. 

End of the year will probably redo the LTR application to attempt 10 years without going to a local immigration !! 

Re-entry permits are easy to obtain here, I don't understand why you want to complicate things, you would only need to 'Talk' go to immigration twice a year, once to get your extension and once to do your first 90 day report.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Re-entry permits are easy to obtain here, I don't understand why you want to complicate things, you would only need to 'Talk' go to immigration twice a year, once to get your extension and once to do your first 90 day report.

The Non Imm 0-A is ME and if the OP obtains an LTR visa that is also ME, so no re-entry permit required.

You don't submit 90-day reports on an LTR visa.

43 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The Non Imm 0-A is ME and if the OP obtains an LTR visa that is also ME, so no re-entry permit required.

You don't submit 90-day reports on an LTR visa.

Bit harsh.

The guy you quoted would be well aware that non O-A and LTV is multi entry.

Seems to me he is endorsing your earlier post where you stated ...,

"No idea why you want to complicate your given position.

1 year permit of stay based on Thai spouse from Immigration." 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Agree.

That has already been suggested however seems OP has decided on obtaining non O-A and the two simple questions re police clearance and medical have been answered

Added note: the first TM47 can be done in person and also via mail. 

• Like 1

I'm in TH on marriage visa (my fourth), but thinking of changing to retirement next March. So much easier. 

Anybody reckon the no-insurance-required policy for in-country applications may change to 'required' by then? 

Yes, I know they change rules all the time, so prefer replies that indicate actual evidence, rather than just guessing. 

Akuna matata. 👍

4 minutes ago, Toolong said:

I'm in TH on marriage visa (my fourth), but thinking of changing to retirement next March. So much easier. 

Anybody reckon the no-insurance-required policy for in-country applications may change to 'required' by then? 

Yes, I know they change rules all the time, so prefer replies that indicate actual evidence, rather than just guessing. 

Akuna matata. 👍

How could anybody have "actual evidence" of something that almost certainly won't happen.  I'd put good money on no insurance being needed, except of course gambling is prohibited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toolong said:

That will not happen.

Be aware that for change to based on retirement your wife will need to attend immigration with you.

Also you will require 800k in Thai bank account in your name only for two months prior to date of application. 

10 hours ago, Upnotover said:

How could anybody have "actual evidence" of something that almost certainly won't happen.  I'd put good money on no insurance being needed, except of course gambling is prohibited.

Yes, 'actual evidence' didn't make much sense. 

Anyway, I hope you win your bet, prohibited or not. 👍😎

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That will not happen.

Be aware that for change to based on retirement your wife will need to attend immigration with you.

Also you will require 800k in Thai bank account in your name only for two months prior to date of application. 

Thanks DrJack. 

Btw....got another question you or others might be able to help with:

If I put another 400k cash on top of my marriage extension money (400k), to amount to 800k, do I have to show the money came from abroad? I ask, because it didn't come from abroad. (Well, some of it may, but basically I earned it here when I was working.)

31 minutes ago, Toolong said:

If I put another 400k cash on top of my marriage extension money (400k), to amount to 800k, do I have to show the money came from abroad

Funds for extensions does not require proof funds came from abroad for money in bank method.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit harsh.

The guy you quoted would be well aware that non O-A and LTV is multi entry.

Seems to me he is endorsing your earlier post where you stated ...,

"No idea why you want to complicate your given position.

1 year permit of stay based on Thai spouse from Immigration." 

Not at all, Jack.

Brianthainess replied to the OP's post after he stated his intention to follow with the LTR visa after the Non Imm O-A.

My original reply to the OP was before he stated he intended to follow the 0-A with the LTR visa.

I can understand the OP's train of thought, but wonder why he doesn't just apply for the LTR visa in the first instance.

Edited by Liquorice

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Funds for extensions does not require proof funds came from abroad for money in bank method.

That's a relief! Thank you very much for the info, DrJack. 👍

5 hours ago, Liquorice said:

I can understand the OP's train of thought, but wonder why he doesn't just apply for the LTR visa in the first instance.

I did.. As I have discussed in other threads.. Despite easily qualifying in every way I can see, and providing proof of all the qualifications, its been denied without any explanation (in fact a refusal to explain) with the cheery 'please try again'.. No document requests, no questions on any aspect, and a total refusal to say what they were not happy about ?!?! 

I now no longer have time to try again incountry and have set up a clearer once a month passive income payment (my application had 3 income streams from 3 countries) to maybe aid compliance.  Either way its summer holiday time to UK Ireland and mainland Europe, when my current extension will expire and so I need something easy to return with. An OA gives me plenty of time without having to deal with local immigration to retry my LTR in Jan (when the 8k a month EUR passive income payment will have a year of proof) is my current semi plan.  

• Thanks 1

Horses for courses,  of course, but if I were in your shoes, I would be sorely tempted to return to Thailand with a 30-day visa exemption and convert this into a 90-day non-O visa for retirement at my local immigration office.

And I speak from personal experience of having jumped through various hoops in order to obtain my original non-OA visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in London back in 2008 when things were simpler (in particular no health insurance requirement)!

I also wonder whether your aversion to dealing with your local immigration office might stem from the grief and hassle they have given you (and your wife) over the years in connection with your marriage extension applications. It doesn't follow that you would necessarily encounter similar grief and hassle in connection with retirement extension applications - indeed quite the reverse would seem likely. If you could let us know which your immigration office is, maybe others who have applied for retirement extensions there could offer their experiences here.

• Like 1