Thailand Eyes FIFA World Cup 2038 Hosting Rights

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A seasoned political figure, the 78-year-old former Culture Minister, Sermsak Pongpanich, brings a fresh wave of energy and innovative ambitions to his role.

Do they not have anyone younger?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Thailand is banned from the world cup, because every time they get a corner they open a shop, 

There was me, thinking that was an Englishman's dream 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluebluewater said:

I fear it is going to interfere with that stage of the Tour de France or possibly the Formula One Bangkok Grand Prix.

You’re right. I also heard they’re planning to host both winter and summer Olympics too. The 78 year old probably hasn’t thought that far for good reason. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

"As the ball spins further into the future"

WTF does that even mean?

I couldn't read any further than that as it was clear it was going to be another painful Chat GPT "article".

Can somebody make it stop now? Please?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

I googled this 'how many times has thailand been in the fifa world cup finals"

This was the answer:

NONE

Which is the same answer to how much chance of this happening?

Shouldn't stop the gravy trains of various consultants being paid to 'study' the feasibility and put together a bid though 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

"As the ball spins further into the future"

WTF does that even mean?

I couldn't read any further than that as it was clear it was going to be another painful Chat GPT "article".

Can somebody make it stop now? Please?

stop logging in to read, and worse comments, the more we complain the more they can claim, 'Since introduction of AI articles, our users engagement shot through the roof and the community is as vibrant as ever"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, digbeth said:

stop logging in to read, and worse comments, the more we complain the more they can claim, 'Since introduction of AI articles, our users engagement shot through the roof and the community is as vibrant as ever"

True.

14 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Allow me to rewrite this for you TheThaigerChatGPT/AN style.

"Since the wonderful introduction of a variety of artificial intelligence applications we at TheThaigerChatGPT/AN have seen a bourgeong engagement of interfacing with our highly informative site to lofty heights never seen before."

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

As the ball spins further into the future, Thailand's newly appointed Minister of Tourism and Sports, Sermsak Pongpanich, has astoundingly set his eyes on an epic goal. He announced plans for Thailand to bid for hosting rights of the FIFA World Cup from 2038 moving forward, with emphasis on a joint venture together with other Southeast Asian nations.

The ambitious announcement was made alongside the backdrop of the prestigious 74th FIFA Congress held in Bangkok last week. It is important to note that the hosts for the World Cup events up to 2034 have been confirmed already.

Previously, an attempt by Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries to secure the 2034 event failed, with the rights subsequently awarded to Saudi Arabia in October last year.

A seasoned political figure, the 78-year-old former Culture Minister, Sermsak Pongpanich, brings a fresh wave of energy and innovative ambitions to his role. Hosting this FIFA Congress signifies a huge moment for Thailand. FIFA, being the global governing body of football, holds immense influence and the presence of over 3,000 international visitors, all key players in the football industry, further bolsters Thailand's hopes.

Playing host to 211 different international delegations, including high-profile leadership such as FIFA’s President Gianni Infantino, this event builds a solid stage for Thailand's grand aspirations. Furthermore, the gathering provides a pivotal opportunity for Thailand to establish and enhance its credibility within the football universe, especially critical amidst an era of FIFA corruption scandals.

However, the road to the goal isn't without its challenges. The hosting rights for the World Cup events for 2026, 2030, and 2034 are already claimed. The stage in two years’ time is set to be North America, with the United States, Mexico, and Canada set to welcome this football fiesta following Qatar in 2022. The 2030 and 2034 events will be held in Spain, Portugal, Morocco and Saudi Arabia respectively. 

Thailand is now hoping to ally with other Southeast Asian nations for a joint bid for 2038 or perhaps even 2042. There is widespread belief that the World Cup should venture again into the domains of Africa or Asia next.

But as we all know, in the fluid and often uncertain world of football, nothing can be taken as a given. For now, a lot of groundwork lies ahead for the Thai Minister and his colleagues, both domestically and across Southeast Asia. With the deadline for the 2038 bid approaching in 2030, it’s about time that the planning, strategising and lobbying kicks off in earnest.

Picture credit: Wikimedia. For reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Do they know what it costs?????🥴

Only the FIFA will be the winner. Always🙏

A seasoned political figure, the 78-year-old former Culture Minister, Sermsak Pongpanich, brings a fresh wave of energy and innovative ambitions to his role

I've never seen a 78 yr old with a wave of energy.  

As the ball spins further into the future, Thailand's newly appointed Minister of Tourism and Sports, Sermsak Pongpanich, has astoundingly set his eyes on an epic goal.

Was it a Crystal ball ?

Posted (edited)

Keep dreaming Thailand!  Hub of all Hubs, sports hub, Tour De France, Thailand doesn't have the facilities, certainly not going to use the Indoor Stadium been fixing, and improving for over 20 years?🤣

Instead how about forgetting it!

Edited by thailand49
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

They don't have the money to pay off the FIFA people.

Yes, they think the money in the contract is what they will receive from the FIFA 😉

Well, I think to appoint Thalland as organisator of the 2038 FIFA worldcup organisator would be a logic choice. This country has a worldwide renowned expertise on dealing brown envelops. That's what FIFA boss need

• Like 1

I doubt Thailand can pull it off - they would need massive investment in stadia and how would they be used afterwards? But the last truly Asian host was Japan-Korea in 2002 and until the current batch are done in 2034 (Saudi) there won't be another one. So 2038 is 32 years since the last Asian host and it is surely due. (They count Qatar and Saudi as being Asia but I don't).

People thought Japan-Korea was a ridiculous choice but they pulled it off - I was there and it was fantastic. Could Thailand do it? The only thing in their favour is good infrastructure but not good venues. But 14 years is a long time to get it together.

A long and unlikely shot though unless they collaborate with other countries. Thailand-Vietnam-Malaysia perhaps? That would be awesome.