Peru Faces Backlash as Trans People Classified as 'Mentally Ill

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Not a good call by the government. 

Some of those trans and intersex people get very aggressive, hostile behaviour. 

Sadly, mental illness is everywhere these days, prepare yourself, look at all the confused emoji's I'm going to receive for my comment. 

May I be the first!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Agree, imagining you're something you're not is clearly mental illness.

If I told everyone I was an emperor, they'd lock me up!

Agree. 

I think my girlfriend has a mental illness, she identifies as a dog, I don't mind too much, she's always licking my balls. 😎

I hope they don't lock her up, I like it. 

IMG_20240517_074651.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Finally one government is going to stand up and deal with this MENTAL ILLNESS... If you want to "feel" like a woman... go ahead... but the reality is that you will never be one.  

I think this is the first time I've agreed with you Skipalong

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Never been to an LGBT rally?

I photographed the very first Edinburgh Pride Parade which assembled before their march right outside my house in The New Town.  

But no, I didn’t attend, although they looked like a peaceful bunch enjoying a fun day out.

I don’t lurk on Pattaya beech at 1am either, but feel free to share your experiences.

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

My experience? Lots of mentally ill trans people harrassing tourists.

You have claimed to be a professional.

A mental health professional or is your assessment here based on something other than a professional assessment? 

• Haha 1

This will become interesting. Having a government declare a group of citizens mentally ill, will real psychiatrists be able to hospitalize this group or will the result be "so what"?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I'm not worried, I think this is one of very few or so I've used in 10 years - usually I only use them when the post is complete gobbledegook.

Most people use them to express disapproval or disagreement with a post rather than confusion ( your post is neither); which in my opinion is an idle cop out from having to explain why they disagree of disapprove - this one was an exercise in satire.

The "sad" emoji is misused in much the same way. It would make more sense to have an I disagree or you're wrong emoji (🍋 or thumbs down?) I've mentioned it from time to time but I think I am rather crying in the wilderness!

Agree. 

I reckon the majority of these confused emoji users are sending them to antagonize. 

Anyway, they annoy the hell out of me, I prefer a discussion if someone doesn't understand or is confused. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Social Media said:

Dina Boluarte, who herself faces scrutiny over unexplained acquisitions of expensive jewelry and allegations of corruption within her administration. The president's attempts to deflect attention from these issues by dismantling anti-corruption units and suppressing poverty statistics have only fueled public outrage.

President Boluarte, who assumed office after her predecessor's controversial attempt to dissolve congress, has faced criticism for her administration's alignment with a congress characterized by deep social conservatism. Despite diverse ideological affiliations, members of congress have united in pushing counter-reforms that undermine environmental protections and perpetuate illegal activities such as mining, logging, and drug trafficking.

The real issue here. Same old stuff. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Finally one government is going to stand up and deal with this MENTAL ILLNESS... If you want to "feel" like a woman... go ahead... but the reality is that you will never be one.  

Here Hear!

I applaud their efforts as well!

My pro nouns are !

B—A—bay
B—E—be
B—I—bicky-bi—B—O—bow

The insanity of it all,  imop

June, Next month is their celebration month!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody is calling gays or lesbians mentally ill, they aren't delusional about their sex.

But of course your agenda has to expand on our comments.

I agree to that mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

In a controversial move, the Peruvian government has officially classified trans and intersex people as "mentally ill," sparking outrage in a society already grappling with challenges to gender and LGBT rights. The health ministry defended the decree, citing the need to ensure comprehensive mental health care coverage, but critics argue that it perpetuates discrimination and opens the door to harmful practices like conversion therapy.

The decision comes amidst a backdrop of sustained assaults on gender and LGBT rights in Peru. Recent legislative actions, such as banning references to gender equality from school textbooks, have exacerbated the situation, undermining efforts to address domestic violence and femicides. The move to label trans and intersex individuals as mentally ill further entrenches societal prejudices and discrimination against the LGBT community.

Health Minister César Vásquez has refrained from addressing the controversy, instead focusing on defending President Dina Boluarte, who herself faces scrutiny over unexplained acquisitions of expensive jewelry and allegations of corruption within her administration. The president's attempts to deflect attention from these issues by dismantling anti-corruption units and suppressing poverty statistics have only fueled public outrage.

Medical researcher Percy Mayta-Tristán highlights the potential dangers of the decree, particularly in a conservative society where LGBT rights are non-existent and where labeling individuals as mentally ill can facilitate harmful practices like conversion therapy. The lack of sensitivity to complex LGBT issues underscores the need for greater awareness and advocacy for the rights of marginalized communities.

President Boluarte, who assumed office after her predecessor's controversial attempt to dissolve congress, has faced criticism for her administration's alignment with a congress characterized by deep social conservatism. Despite diverse ideological affiliations, members of congress have united in pushing counter-reforms that undermine environmental protections and perpetuate illegal activities such as mining, logging, and drug trafficking.

The legacy of intolerance toward the LGBT community is further reflected in the remarks of former Prime Minister Guido Bellido, who praised Fidel Castro for excluding gay individuals from the Cuban revolution. Such attitudes underscore the entrenched societal prejudices that continue to marginalize and endanger vulnerable populations in Peru.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-05-17

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

femicides   thats a new one

In my opinion, the whole situation has been hijacked. Heterosexuals don't usually go around waving and shouting about their preferences and there are gay people and bisexuals who feel the same. They would prefer to keep their sexual side of life just as private. I have met a few during my life and in the main they were just people trying to have a decent life like anyone else. However, there were some who were ambitious and jealous of others who had attained positions through study and hard work. The 'bad apples' decided to get together and launch campaigns and demanded that certain days of the week some general meeting venues (such as sports meetings, public swimming pools) should be 'gay' only. And so it went on from there. But the sad part was that those who had worked hard for a living got persecuted from both sides. Today, of course, there is social media, internet etc. where activists know they will get coverage quickly and worldwide. The primitive nature of human beings bursts out uncontrolled and when that happens chaos is the result

• Like 1
  • Agree 1