Buckle up, Bangkok: Thai official floats capital relocation amid rising sea

snoop1130

On 5/16/2024 at 11:28 PM, Pesche said:

Oh, now there is even a "Deputy Director-General of Thailand’s Department of Climate Change" while there is NO climate change 😁

The climate is constantly changing, in cycles. So stop these politically induced misleading news!

Sea levels are rising? Oh well yes! Of course! Since the beginning! When there is high tide!! 🤣

It just needs simple logic and common sense to understand that it is not the rising sea the reason of the problem and definitely NOT "climate change"!!!

Reason number one is that Bangkok is sinking! It was and is built on the delta of the Chao Phraya River.

It is built on fluvial muddy soft sediments - not on solid rock!

Reason number two is that the delta is in reality a swamp area!

i.e. Suvarnabhumi Airport in Samut Prakan which is not only a swamp but also below sea level!!

Reason number three due to poor planing and enormous consumption, the Groundwater level is also lowering dramatically! This accelerates the sinking process of the entire city...

Reason number four is that the frequent inundations are caused because of the unscrupulous deforestation of tropical forests!!

The unscrupulous deforestation of the tropical forests is the major reason of floodings in all Thailand!

So please, again:

PUT POLITICIANS AT THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE THEY HAVE KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCE - This is actually a global problem in nearly every Country.

Gawd. Boomer perchance? When it rains, people get wet. When you pump billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, what happens?

On 5/17/2024 at 12:02 AM, PuiPuiHarry said:

When the Netherlands can keep a part of a city, 6 mtr below sea level called Alexanderpolder and part of Rotterdam, dry, Thailand cannot keep a city dry just 1 mtr below sea level ?  About 1/3 of Netherlands lies below sea level, with the lowest point being 22 feet (6.7 meters) below sea level. 

Is that why the Dutch are so tall, stretching their necks above the waves? 😛

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Gawd. Boomer perchance? When it rains, people get wet. When you pump billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, what happens?

Trees love it 💕💕?

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

It doesn't rain straight water? You get soda instead? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

They complain about their aircon bill of course, blaming the gov't or woke culture or anything else they can think of besides climate change.

Edited by shdmn

On 5/17/2024 at 1:53 AM, Caldera said:

Potential property market investors, take note.

I must have bought well. My 5th floor Bangkok condo will soon have a sea view. Always wanted a waterfront property.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Capital cities removed from large population centers are easier to control when citizens protest. 

Hilarious nonsense. So they spend billions/trillions so it easier to control protests if they want to hold them in the government capital?

Really??  

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2024 at 3:30 AM, nglodnig said:

Eaxactly. Bangkok was called the "Venice of Asia" but then the "powers-that-be"  filled up all the canals - result - flooding and subsidence. NOTHING to do with an estimate 3.6 mm a year sea-level rise (which has been occuring since the last ice-age, sea-levels have risen 120 metres since that time).

But hey, when we are incompetent and screw up let's blame global warming eh so we don't look quite so bad.

well even before they filled ALL the canals, I was here in the early 70's and Bangkok flooded a lot more then.  Used to have rafts/rowboats at most intersections to help people across the street.  I lived on soi Thong Lor (55 Sukumvit) in those days and my daughter used to catch the Siamese fighting fish in our yard throughout the rainy season as it remained under water almost all the time.  Before it was all of BKK under water and now more localized and does drain better in my opinion.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/17/2024 at 1:33 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

Maybe Thailand leaders and scientist should talk to the Dutch about building dikes, levees and locks before trying to move a metropolis.

When I lived here in the 70's, there was talk every rainy season about moving the capital to Ayutthaya but that floods every year big time.

• Thumbs Up 1