Chiang Mai police invoke 10pm curfew after samurai gang rampage

Posted (edited)

Wow, I thought the Burmese would be on pins and needles for fear of being deported back to what’s going on in their country. With their own people being slaughtered and raped you’d think they would be grateful for a place to earn a living and have peace. 

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Anyone using  a deadly weapon to threaten, harm or kill, regardless of the outcome  should receive the death penalty."

Case of exaggeration/overkill! I appreciate your sentiments, but if I come across a burglar in my house and I threaten him with a "deadly weapon" (Definition please - breadknife?) then I should receive the death penalty?

Valid point, but you understand the gist. If such a law were to come into force, then the wording would drawn up by legal eagles and would cover all aspects

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The police are not supposed to get "upset"  They are expected to remain "professional" when carrying out their duties, emotion should not come into it

So why is the cop on the left looking so happy? "Oh, look, I've got 2 big ones!"?

image.jpeg.0838d653101b79375b24945395324402.jpeg

Edited by sambum

"Krittapon announced that officers had planned a crackdown, intending to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty. In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards."

Proactive?  I don't think you know what the word means.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ronster said:

Bet the 19 year olds are happy 🤣

That should read, bet the 19 year old "gang members" are happy! 

Edited by bluemoon58
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, schultzlivgthai said:

Wow, I thought the Burmese would be on pins and needles for fear of being deported back to what’s going on in their country. With their own people being slaughtered and raped you’d think they would be grateful for a place to earn a living and have peace. 

1. I wouldn't buy into any reporting of the likes we get here, regarding the truth about the nationality of any individual, until a picture of their passport is shown. They have been known to call Thai citizens, Tai Yai because of their ethnicity and thus avoid calling them nasty Thai people.
2. Assuming it's accurate that they are actually Burmese nationals, we're talking about teens here... since when have teens had any sense to appreciate or be grateful for much of anything, especially teens of this ilk?

17 minutes ago, sambum said:

So why is the cop on the left looking so happy? "Oh, look, I've got 2 big ones!"?

image.jpeg.0838d653101b79375b24945395324402.jpeg

He is not carrying out his law enforcement duties, he is posing for a photo opportunity. 

15 minutes ago, tjintx said:

"Krittapon announced that officers had planned a crackdown, intending to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty. In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards."

Proactive?  I don't think you know what the word means.

From "Vocabulary.com":-

Active means "doing something." The prefix pro- means "before." So if you are proactive, you are ready before something happens. The opposite is being reactive, or waiting for things to unfold before responding. 

"Don't know what the word means"? Correct!

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

He is not carrying out his law enforcement duties, he is posing for a photo opportunity. 

Oh, sorry, I thought because he was wearing his uniform, he was on duty?

Posted (edited)

How could you ever imagine that those darling Thai male youths would ever do stuff like this so lets call them Burmese!  Very convenient to blame the Burmese boys who would be very aware of the fact that they can be sent home to fighting & hardships so why would the jeopardise their stay in Thailand by carrying on like this? 

Edited by paul1804
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Anyone notice the resemblance of the cop on the right to Big Joke?

At first glance I actually thought it was him

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, sambum said:

From "Vocabulary.com":-

Active means "doing something." The prefix pro- means "before." So if you are proactive, you are ready before something happens. The opposite is being reactive, or waiting for things to unfold before responding. 

"Don't know what the word means"? Correct!

In this respect then  the curfew was not a proactive measure as it was implemented after the events took place, so it was in fact a reactive measure.

Although it could be considered proactive in so much that they sought to prevent any recurrence.

No internet vocabulary guide required

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

In this respect then  the curfew was not a proactive measure as it was implemented after the events took place, so it was in fact a reactive measure.

Although it could be considered proactive in so much that they sought to prevent any recurrence.

If you were the cop boss, how would you have handled this?

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

It would also a good idea to catch the gang, disarm them and send them for a time into prison. What do you think about this idea?

🙏

It's a novel approach, but it just might work. 555

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

And it's now May... 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards.

not only taking time to begin taking action... but also waiting a couple weeks before telling anyone in the news services about the curfew haha... 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

It would also a good idea to catch the gang, disarm them and send them for a time into prison. What do you think about this idea?

🙏

Two years in a barracks the opposite end of the country from where their home is..

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

My, aren't you clever! Well done Sherlock!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

Are they all Burmese or Thai Burmese, because if they are Burmese nationals they can be sent back over the border.

Became intrigued how Thai law works when I read:

The police intended to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty.

No court proceedings needed?

I thought normal procedure was suspicion, arrest, question, evidence, charge. You never know in Thailand if they are going to follow that procedure.

3 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

If they ladyboy gang joins up with the samurai gang, our only remaining hope is Batman. 

How about we get the ladyboy gang to go fight the samurai gang. Indians can donate. Gold chain for every samurai gang member they apprehend. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

The police are not supposed to get "upset"  They are expected to remain "professional" when carrying out their duties, emotion should not come into it 

So what is professional about smiling and holding. samurai sword?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

There is a gang of young thugs terrorising the local population and the Police have taken action to prevent any future acts of violence from the gang .

So this is a sudden and new occurrence? I think the whole story is missing vital background information.

Edited by kwilco