Let the young ones build your new Desktop

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

Not a problem if you use Linux. I'm running most of my boxes on 10+ year old hardware. Unlike windows, there's very little resource increase requirements when you upgrade versions. But that's understandable as windows main goal is to suck money out of people, either to Microsoft or the hardware providers.

Yes, I use Windows.  Just wanted to say that not everyone who buys / builds a high spec computer does so for bragging rights. (bigger penis)  I do it for future proofing. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/18/2024 at 11:34 AM, Gottfrid said:

Now running the best Ryzen 9 with liquid cooling, 128gb ram, 2 x 2tb Nvme disks had and 16 gb GPU

On 5/19/2024 at 12:30 PM, patman30 said:

just curious, what are you doing that requires 128GB DDR5 RAM?
or is it just an overkill build?

I feel with you Gottfrid. I have a i9-13900KF rig with 64GB DDR5 RAM. Was thinking of upgrading to 128GB RAM, before the compatible modules disappear from the market. Kind of future proof my kit.

You might never know when you might want to run that nuclear explosion simulation in real time.... 555

Besides, what would be the requirement for the games released next year?

But seriously, what really pisses me off is that MS has not implemented the Intel Thread Director support in Windows 10. Don't want to upgrade to Win11. I'm running Win11 in Virtual, and do not like is a bit.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

I feel with you Gottfrid. I have a i9-13900KF rig with 64GB DDR5 RAM. Was thinking of upgrading to 128GB RAM, before the compatible modules disappear from the market. Kind of future proof my kit.

You might never know when you might want to run that nuclear explosion simulation in real time.... 555

Besides, what would be the requirement for the games released next year?

But seriously, what really pisses me off is that MS has not implemented the Intel Thread Director support in Windows 10. Don't want to upgrade to Win11. I'm running Win11 in Virtual, and do not like is a bit.

Yeah, somehow it´s just nice to have more than you need. A little bit future proof as you say. However, I agree 200% with that Win 11 sucks big time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/21/2024 at 7:19 PM, KhunHeineken said:

I went a little overboard with the specs of my last computer build.  The reason being wasn't for bragging rights, (a bigger penis) but for some future proving.  An example is HD to 2k, to 4k and to 8k.  Another example is fiber Gigabyte internet speed.  

Also, we don't know how resource hungry a future OS may be. 

Same as adding a larger amount of storage to cover future photos, music, movies etc. 

It means I do not have to buy a new computer very often.  I get years out of the build because it can handle future technology as it evolves. 

I agree with you on that KH. Never hurts to have extra storage/memory. I've known guys that buy smallest (cheapest) amount and later complain that their rig is so slow and runs out of space.

I have 23TB of storage on my main rig, excluding the system drive, and it's all 70%+ utilized. There is another 25TB on a NAS.

My home network backbone is all on 10Gbps, for 4 computers plus all the other gunk that connects through the WiFi.

Some people just use a laptop for browsing internet and don't comprehend what you would need that extra computing power for. All dick extenders in their mind. But I do like to run my nuclear simulations in real time...55555

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I agree with you on that KH. Never hurts to have extra storage/memory. I've known guys that buy smallest (cheapest) amount and later complain that their rig is so slow and runs out of space.

I have 23TB of storage on my main rig, excluding the system drive, and it's all 70%+ utilized. There is another 25TB on a NAS.

My home network backbone is all on 10Gbps, for 4 computers plus all the other gunk that connects through the WiFi.

Some people just use a laptop for browsing internet and don't comprehend what you would need that extra computing power for. All dick extenders in their mind. But I do like to run my nuclear simulations in real time...55555

WOW. 

10Gbps.  I can only dream of that speed.  I would need 10 separate fiber connections and a load balancer to even get close to that. 

I could have some fun with a connection with that speed.   

Sounds like you are practically running a personal data center.  Good for you.  :thumbsup: 

Building a new desktop > use my PSU or buy new?

I have a THERMALTAKE 750W 80 PLUS GOLD  Power supply in my old desktop, I bought and installed 3 years ago, [so still under Warrantee] just thinking maybe could use this in a new build ?  thinking of the Ryzen 5600X, which would be a big ? upgrade to my old FX CPU  built before the big Floods.

Likewise use my 2 year old GIGABYTE RADEON RX 6400 low profile 4 GB Graphics Card  ?

11 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

WOW. 

10Gbps.  I can only dream of that speed.  I would need 10 separate fiber connections and a load balancer to even get close to that. 

I could have some fun with a connection with that speed.   

Sounds like you are practically running a personal data center.  Good for you.  :thumbsup: 

10Gbps is my domestic ethernet backbone. My internet connection is more normal 1Gbps fiber.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ignis said:

I have a THERMALTAKE 750W 80 PLUS GOLD  Power supply in my old desktop, I bought and installed 3 years ago, [so still under Warrantee] just thinking maybe could use this in a new build ?  thinking of the Ryzen 5600X, which would be a big ? upgrade to my old FX CPU  built before the big Floods.

Likewise use my 2 year old GIGABYTE RADEON RX 6400 low profile 4 GB Graphics Card  ?

750W should be plenty for the CPU and GPU you're mentioning. Minimum PSU recommendation for RX6400 is 350W and the CPU TDP is 65W.

I doubt you would go much over 500W with full utilization.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

10Gbps is my domestic ethernet backbone. My internet connection is more normal 1Gbps fiber.

All power to you. 

Can I ask where, how, and how much, without breaching your privacy? 

11 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

All power to you. 

Can I ask where, how, and how much, without breaching your privacy? 

Nothing secret here.

For the network backbone I'm using TP-LINK 5-Port 10G Desktop Switch (TL-SX105) https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/tp-link/5-port-10g-desktop-switch-tl-sx105-p057291/

The WiFi router is Asus AX6000 Dual Band WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX89X), which has 10Gbps port https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/ax6000-dual-band-wifi-6-router-rt-ax89x-p055631/

For the PC's, they have 10Gbps ethernet either build in the MoBo (Asus ProArt Z790-CREATOR WiFi) or use TP-LINK TX401 10 Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/tp-link/tx401-10-gigabit-pci-express-network-adapter-p057243/

Internet connection is 500/1000 Mbps fiber supplied by TOT.

My main usage is interaction between the home PC's, that's why I chose high bandwidth for the backbone. I have 4 main PC's, plus generally run 2-4 Windows and Linux instances in Virtual on the main rig, plus there are Laptops, phones, tablets and such minor junk connecting through the WiFi.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2024 at 8:37 AM, ignis said:

No problem. FX-8350 TDP > Ryzen 5600X TDP, if that's your FX. BTW, Aliexpress has some good deals on selected Ryzens, mostly Ryzen 7s, but of those some are AM4 if you want to stay in that bracket despite our ace future proofers. I read about them on reddit, one redditor writing a glowing review.

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

No problem. FX-8350 TDP > Ryzen 5600X TDP, if that's your FX. BTW, Aliexpress has some good deals on selected Ryzens, mostly Ryzen 7s, but of those some are AM4 if you want to stay in that bracket despite our ace future proofers. I read about them on reddit, one redditor writing a glowing review.

I would be very careful buying any high tech from China.... safer to spend a little bit more and buy from a reputable supplier like, JIB or InvadeIT

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I would be very careful buying any high tech from China.... safer to spend a little bit more and buy from a reputable supplier like, JIB or InvadeIT

Yup, that's the knee-jerk, expected and inevitable. Actually, some of the discounts are substantial rather than "little," for the budget minded. Me, I've bought from Aliexpress for years w/o problem. In fact, in my spare computer I have a used I7-4790k I bought there cheap, runs great. I'll buy from JIB if they have what I need and if I see no real advantage to buying elsewhere, And that's pretty often; I like JIB, except I don't much like their online checkout and payment workflow. Last time I just bought from them through Lazada and paid the shipping fee.

But I've never had problems w/ Lazada, either, 'cause I buy from reputable, well-reviewed vendors. Our shrewdest members will claim all the reviews are fake. Cue: horror stories!

Only problem I've had w/ an e-commerce portal was with a vendor on--Amazon! 🙂 

Edited by BigStar

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

Bit older FX 8200

At 74 not to bothered about future proofing

AM5 M/B + CPU + Ram is far more expensive + on different web Tech reports the 5600X is a better option + better than my other option the 7500F on the AM5 set up

JIB delivering tomorrow lunch time Gigabyte B550 MB  + Ryzen 5600X + Kingston Fury Beast Ram.. and the new thing never seen/used before SSD M.2 PCIe WD 500 GB  

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Yup, that's the knee-jerk, expected and inevitable. Actually, some of the discounts are substantial rather than "little," for the budget minded. Me, I've bought from Aliexpress for years w/o problem. In fact, in my spare computer I have a used I7-4790k I bought there cheap, runs great. I'll buy from JIB if they have what I need and if I see no real advantage to buying elsewhere, And that's pretty often; I like JIB, except I don't much like their online checkout and payment workflow. Last time I just bought from them through Lazada and paid the shipping fee.

But I've never had problems w/ Lazada, either, 'cause I buy from reputable, well-reviewed vendors. Our shrewdest members will claim all the reviews are fake. Cue: horror stories!

Only problem I've had w/ an e-commerce portal was with a vendor on--Amazon! 🙂 

Use for years Advice or JIB for Computer things

Posted (edited)

People still use desktops?  I've always built my own desktops.  I don't even bother anymore and buy laptops now.  Even if you are a gamer I think you can get some pretty powerful graphics in laptops now.  I don't care about games myself. A standard laptop does everything I need.  I was even able to add a 2TB NvME card as a second storage device.  With a USB-C/Thunderbolt port I can connect just about anything to it.  I can even power the laptop from that port. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ignis said:

At 74 not to bothered about future proofing

Good! Me, neither. Welcome to the rebellion, brotha.

10 minutes ago, ignis said:

AM5 M/B + CPU + Ram is far more expensive

Indeed so. AMD has recently announced some new CPUs on AM4, so it's not dead yet. And you'll have an upgrade path there in the future.

11 minutes ago, ignis said:

Tech reports the 5600X is a better option + better than my other option the 7500F on the AM5 set up

7500F isn't the only option on AM5, by any means. 🙂 

12 minutes ago, ignis said:

the new thing never seen/used before SSD M.2 PCIe WD 500 GB  

That will free up a SATA port on the Gigabyte B550 (if needed), though you didn't specify the exact model. I'd say, prepare to be less than totally impressed w/ the M.2 speed. Though it's incredibly faster according to the specs, it (cough) may not seem all that much in everyday use, unless you really want it to. But that, plus the CPU and RAM will be a major improvement.

Hopefully the small rear retainer screw will be included w/ the M.2 or the motherboard. Look for that and don't let it get away.

So enjoy your new machine. Night & day from your old FX-8200.

20 minutes ago, shdmn said:

People still use desktops?

It would seem so.

21 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I've always built my own desktops.  I don't even bother anymore and buy laptops now. 

I understand. I've built or rebuilt so many that it's just boring. JIB will build one for you, and if I were buying a totally new machine, I'd let 'em do it, too, and just go behind and improve the cable management.

I only use a laptop for traveling. I'm glad to get home to my desktop, among other things. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It would seem so.

I understand. I've built or rebuilt so many that it's just boring. JIB will build one for you, and if I were buying a totally new machine, I'd let 'em do it, too, and just go behind and improve the cable management.

I only use a laptop for traveling. I'm glad to get home to my desktop, among other things. 

I took all my desktops to the computer recycler.  They were still quite capable so hopefully someone in Africa is making good use of them.  Laptops today are quite a bit more powerful than desktops of only a few years ago, and use a lot less power.  There is no price advantage anymore.  Dual screens and the lack of a high speed USB-C interface were the only thing that held me back from using a laptop as my home computer before.  It's no big deal now. Almost all computer screens have HDMI and all laptops have HDMI + USB-C. I just use a $20 USB-C to HDMI converter for the 2nd screen.

I use my newest laptop at home as my desktop, and an older one for travelling as well as a 3rd laptop as a backup.  That 3rd laptop is over 10 years old but still works perfectly.  It will be the next to go to the recycler when I buy my 4th laptop.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Laptops today are quite a bit more powerful than desktops of only a few years ago, and use a lot less power. 

I'm aware of that but I don't need a powerful laptop. When traveling, I just surf the news and check email. I bought an old Dell to travel with so that I don't need to worry about damage or theft.

If I had to undergo months of rehab in a hospital, I'd like to have a gaming laptop to fight boredom. The day hasn't yet come.

18 minutes ago, shdmn said:

There also isn't much if any price advantage anymore.

This might be argued in context of needs. Where's the laptop with a 32-inch monitor? Oh--that'll be extra. (For just ONE example.) Repairs, maintenance, upgrades also come into the picture. 

Well, let's hear now from our hipsters who only need phones, not desktops OR laptops, yawn. "People still use laptops???"

Edited by BigStar

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

This might be argued in context of needs. Where's the laptop with a 32-inch monitor? Oh--that'll be extra. (For just ONE example.) Repairs, maintenance, upgrades also come into the picture. 

Well, let's hear now from our hipsters who only need phones, not desktops OR laptops, yawn. "People still use laptops???"

You are throwing out ridiculous arguments that don't even makes sense.  Like the fact you need separate desktop screens no matter what you do.   My bad trying to have a reasonable discussion with anyone on this forum.  Have a nice day.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

You are throwing out ridiculous arguments that don't even makes sense.  Like the fact you need separate desktop screens no matter what you do.   My bad trying to have a reasonable discussion with anyone on this forum.  Have a nice day.

makes sense to some, myself eyes are not what they used to be, have used 32" screen for past 10 years, I do have a Vivo smartphone + a big magnifying glass,  friend uses a 12" Tablet, screen far to small even with my glasses on difficult to read text on it, so yes 32" screen at the moment is just right...  

Laptops very few 17" now a day + 30,000 +  , so many now  13 or 14 no thank you

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, shdmn said:

You are throwing out ridiculous arguments that don't even makes sense. 

You seem to be getting a little hot under the collar here. Nobody cares if you prefer laptops and need to tout your preference in a topic about desktops.

12 hours ago, shdmn said:

Like the fact you need separate desktop screens no matter what you do.

Yup, like most desktop users, I need, or prefer, a large desktop screen for day-to-day routine computer use. A laptop doesn't come with one. So then I'd have to buy an external monitor, having paid for a laptop screen I don't really need. I'd have to buy an external keyboard (I don't like laptop keyboards) and an external mouse.

Furthermore, I can't fit in 3 SSDs and 2x6 TB HDDs in a laptop. No, I don't want an external drive docking station or NAS. I also have a SATA mobile rack in my desktop case for hot swapping external SSDs or HDDs, very useful. I still have the DVD drive (just in case), and a few other bays for any new panels I might add. 

And, in your haste to "make sense," you ignored my point about laptop repairs, maintenance, and upgrades. The possibilities are limited and often excessively expensive. Me, I hate working on laptops.

13 hours ago, shdmn said:

That 3rd laptop is over 10 years old but still works perfectly.  It will be the next to go to the recycler when I buy my 4th laptop.

Similarly, my desktops have been with me more than a decade, BUT they run far better now than they ever did new, owing to upgrades and repairs that cost far less than buying new laptops. I recycle parts to other computers or keep them around as spares. Well, I guess only the cases are now original (LOL), but they're both great, love both of them. Yeah, I'm a big advocate of buying investing in a quality case. But that wouldn't concern you as a laptop user. 😉 

Now my Dell Latitude laptop is about 10 years old and runs Linux quite well. I don't see a need for replacing it in the near future, since it's just for occasional travel. I'm impressed w/ Dell quality, the reason countless old Dells are still around. That's why I said in my OP that I'd take a more expensive Dell over a questionable custom build.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

You seem to be getting a little hot under the collar here. Nobody cares if you prefer laptops and need to tout your preference in a topic about desktops.

Yup, like most desktop users, I need, or prefer, a large desktop screen for day-to-day routine computer use. A laptop doesn't come with one. So then I'd have to buy an external monitor, having paid for a laptop screen I don't really need. I'd have to buy an external keyboard (I don't like laptop keyboards) and an external mouse.

Furthermore, I can't fit in 3 SSDs and 2x6 TB HDDs in a laptop. No, I don't want an external drive docking station or NAS. I also have a SATA mobile rack in my desktop case for hot swapping external SSDs or HDDs, very useful. I still have the DVD drive (just in case), and a few other bays for any new panels I might add. 

And, in your haste to "make sense," you ignored my point about repairs, maintenance, and upgrades. The possibilities are limited and often excessively expensive. Me, I hate working on laptops.

Similarly, my desktops have been with me more than a decade, BUT they run far better now than they ever did new, owing to upgrades and repairs that cost far less than buying a new laptop. I recycle parts to other computers or keep them around as spares. Well, I guess only the cases are now original (LOL), but they're both great, love both of them. Yeah, I'm a big advocate of buying investing in a quality case. But that wouldn't concern you as a laptop user. 😉 

Now my Dell Latitude laptop is about 10 years old and runs Linux quite well. I don't see a need for replacing it in the near future. I'm impressed w/ Dell quality, the reason so many countless old Dells are still around. That's one reason I said in my OP that I'd take a more expensive Dell over a questionable custom build.

Some folk on here just like to look trendy in Starbucks on their laptop......🤭

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, shdmn said:

People still use desktops?  I've always built my own desktops.  I don't even bother anymore and buy laptops now.  Even if you are a gamer I think you can get some pretty powerful graphics in laptops now.  I don't care about games myself. A standard laptop does everything I need.  I was even able to add a 2TB NvME card as a second storage device.  With a USB-C/Thunderbolt port I can connect just about anything to it.  I can even power the laptop from that port. 

I can install 6 hard drives in my PC if I want, I can replace EVERY part in my PC myself if I want as soon as I source the part.

I can even solve overheating probs in my PC with little effort.

Can you with your laptop........? 🤔

• Love It 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, transam said:

I can install 6 hard drives in my PC if I want, I can replace EVERY part in my PC myself if I want as soon as I source the part.

I can even solve overheating probs in my PC with little effort.

Can you with your laptop........? 🤔

You still use hard drives?  Do you also continue adding to your vinyl record collection and communicate via ham radio instead of the internet?   

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

You still use hard drives?  Do you also continue adding to your vinyl record collection and communicate via ham radio instead of the internet?   

Think you need another forum for all that, try "vintage stuff info"......😂

Tell me what is wrong with having 6 SDD's connected to my motherboard.....🤭

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

Guess I am not alone, 

do you trust this A1 thing ? do you want all your data, files, photos, contacts,  floating around somewhere in the clouds ? guess younger people trust these new things

I like to have everything in hands reach that I can see and have full control over  = have many HDD's, + backup of every thing + DVD"s and even CD"s

When moving here over 20 years ago scanned all photo's + Important papers, many black & white me as a child + many family members [most are all dead] from over 70 years ago + 1.000s of photos over the years Family. Weddings, holidays travelled a lot, long before digital  so was all film + print. on HDD + backup on another HDD + on DVD

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, shdmn said:

You still use hard drives?

Where do you think your data is stored in the cloud?

As of the end of 2023, Backblaze was monitoring 270,222 hard drives used to store data.

--https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-2023/

OH. Hard drives.🤣

Why be obligated to make recurring payments for storage on their hard drives, w/ slower access, dependent on their service, when I can just have my data at hand locally? Unless--I have only a laptop.:sad: 

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1