Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

24 minutes ago, MicroB said:

Did you really think that if the USSR attacked Alaska, that NATO wouldn't be allowed to act because Alaska is nowhere near Atlantic? Nor is Norway for that matter.

I don't think Russia will ever attack Alaska. They have no need of anything in Alaska.

I don't think they will attack Norway either. Norway isn't threatening them. That may change if Norway stations US nuclear missiles there.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, oh dear. Given I have never claimed that perhaps you need to review your sources.

I once took a visiting group of Green Jackets skiing, but I doubt that suffices as being in NATO.

Just in case "Green Jackets" is confusing, I'm providing a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Green_Jackets

The Royal Green Jackets (RGJ) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, one of two "large regiments" within the Light Division (the other being The Light Infantry).

Seems he and I served for about the same length of time. I was in regulars for over 10 years and the rest in Territorials ( equivalent to National Guard ). So I have nothing to be ashamed of. Like him I never served on active service, but that was because the war stopped before I got there, not because I resigned before I could get sent.

Do tell about this "code"? You make it sound like a secret brotherhood or something, LOL. Can't say I ever noticed anything like that. But then no one ever came up to me in the street to thank me for my service either. Perhaps it's different in the States.

I met many US navy personnel in Antarctica, and most were stand up guys. I liked them a lot. They certainly knew how to party.

Confusion reigned. You were a Kiwi, or a Walt. Blocked.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Perhaps too, the intent was not to target medical facilities and they suffered indirect damage from shrapnel.

So, collateral damage from shrapnel of some clinic with no-one dead became in the media “attack to the hospital”. Do you see some lying in order to support certain narrative? I’m not supporting any damage being done, I’m pointing that the journalism is showing a real picture and not painting it in one color.

3 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Do you recall the intentional missile strikes on the Okhmatdyt children’s hospital in Kyiv, the country’s largest children’s hospital?

I was replying to the message about recent attack in Poltava. The fact that you shifting topic to Okhmadyt is showing that you have nothing to say about this “attack to the hospital “.

• Agree 1

Half the cabinet  being booted out is not normal - you certainly don't replace winning teams with experience at the heart of a war.

https://archive.is/prxHS

The shifts came after Ukraine’s energy chief Volodymyr Kudrytskyi was removed, but complaints followed about his departure being “politically motivated”.

The move heightened fears for the country’s beleaguered electricity grid, since Kudrytskyi, who had led Ukrenergo since 2020, was a respected figure in the energy industry. His sudden exit was sharply criticised by senior MPs and analysts.

Some officials expressed concern to the FT that the moves were part of what they claimed were efforts by Zelenskyy to consolidate power inside his administration.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Look at the video above and then compare it to the address of the training school that was targeted. Telegram has been publishing the GPS coordinates. I have provided the civic address. In proximity the  damaged location are two medical facilities. One is a small private clinic  and the other is a rehabilitation facility. Also, there was reportedly a field hospital set up in the adjacent building.  Take your pick.   Perhaps too, the intent was not to target medical facilities and they suffered indirect damage from shrapnel.  Unfortunately, one never knows with the Russians. The most recent direct targeting of a hospital was only 2 months ago. Do you recall the intentional missile strikes on the Okhmatdyt children’s hospital in Kyiv, the country’s largest children’s hospital? It reportedly killed at least 42 civilians, including five children, and injured at least 190. The attacks caused significant damage the hospital  including the intensive care units and oncology and surgical wings, and completely destroyed the toxicology and traumatology departments. 

A decade ago, no self respecting Russian military officer would have agreed to target a hospital. The Russian involvement in Syria changed  that. Russians at the behest of Putin, helped Assad  barrel bomb civilians, and enabled Assad's use of poison gas on non combatants. Russia slipped into a moral morass with that decision. Then the Wagner units with the support and encouragement of the Putin cadre, actively supported the  horrors in Sudan and Niger.There has been no looking back. Putin has been a cancer on the morality of Russians, promising them the allure of greatness, but at the expense of their dignity and humanity.

What’s your view on recent reports about an Ukrainian drone striking a residential apartment in Saratov?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

President Zelensky has said, #Ukraine intends to hold captured russian territory "indefinitely." August 6th, Ukrainian forces invaded russia's Kursk region and hold 1,300sq km of territory. Zelensky said “We don’t need their land. We don’t want to bring our Ukrainian way of life there... but Ukraine will “hold” the territory as it is integral to his “victory plan” to end the the war. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/zelenskyy-ukraine-russia-territory-seized-putin-kursk-rcna169280

Good. Less men and weapons to fight in areas that matter.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, VBer said:

So, collateral damage from shrapnel of some clinic with no-one dead became in the media “attack to the hospital”. Do you see some lying in order to support certain narrative? I’m not supporting any damage being done, I’m pointing that the journalism is showing a real picture and not painting it in one color.

I was replying to the message about recent attack in Poltava. The fact that you shifting topic to Okhmadyt is showing that you have nothing to say about this “attack to the hospital “.

Did you miss the comment about the  field hospital? Did you look at the size of the compound and the building layouts? The buildings hit were not pinpoint hits. When NATO  targets a building, it is a direct hit.  The damaged Ukraine buildings  demonstrated side blasts as opposed to a direct strike. This suggests an inaccurate targeting system. It follows current Russian strategy of shoot in the general direction of something and if non combatants are obliterated, so be it. It is irresponsible.

I mentioned the intentional targeting of  the Ukraine Children's hospital to demonstrate that  targeting hospitals is not unusual for Russia.  You can keep trying to find excuses for your Russian "friends", but it is obvious that the Russians use a shotgun approach, which results in multiple loss of life and injury to non combatants.

• Like 1

Zelensky fires head of Ukrenergo for failure to protect power infrastructure - New York Times

https://archive.is/VEVHl

Mr. Kudrytsky’s firing could also alienate donors who have helped keep the power system afloat, Svyatoslav Pavliuk from Energy Efficient Cities of Ukraine, an advocacy group for the energy industry, wrote in a post on Facebook. “Consequences of such decisions will be major,” he said.
On Monday, Russian shelling damaged one of two electric lines providing power to the Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, raising risks to the reactor cooling pumps just as the United Nations nuclear regulator planned a visit to the site.

• Confused 1

Ukraine’s losses outweigh Kursk gains, as Russia on cusp of taking Pokrovsk - Al Jazeera

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/features/2024/9/4/ukraines-losses-outweigh-kursk-gains-as-russia-on-cusp-of-taking-key-town

She blames the loss of her home on President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s government and top brass — some of whom were fired by him on Tuesday in a major reshuffle.

“It’s like they live in two realities, they care about those ephemeral gains instead of defending Ukrainian land here and now,” she said.

Military analysts agree.

“Yes, the two campaigns are developing in parallel realities, and despite a small success in Kursk in the past two weeks, further goals are not quite understandable,” Nikolay Mitrokhin, a researcher with Germany’s Bremen University, told Al Jazeera.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

I am not aware of the incident. Did the event occur?

I’m (not?) surprised you didn’t hear of this event like many of your fellow posters judging by their lack of response. This is what happens when some people choose to listen to only one side of the story.