Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Just on this point, out of curiosity, I have a question for any member who has had to pay tax in Thailand before, for whatever reason.

From the time you are given your tax bill, how long do you have to pay it?

I don't think they send you a tax bill. Like Mike said, when you file your tax return, you pay what you owe at that time.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Must be paid at the time of filing.  Is that correct?  If so, is that the same for those who have millions of baht tax liability? 

The only experience I have of this is a mate of mine changed jobs in Thailand & because of the timing had to come up with 350K tax in 7 days (He'd paid all of his income tax so technically owed nothing there but he did get some sort of payoff so it was maybe due to that, I do know he got it all back the next year). 

To make matters worse he had to go to KL to start his new job for corporate training but wasn't allowed to leave the country until he paid the Tax so I ended up loaning him the 350K until he could get himself back on track.  

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

SIGH... And yet another post that has absolutely northing to do with my point that NOT FILING A TAX RETURN IS NOT TAX EVASION . 

As I clearly stated in my post, my income comes from the UK & I know how withheld tax (& disregarded income) rules work on dividends in the UK, and (as I clearly stated) DTAs do not come into it for me as I manage my remittances to Thailand so I don't need to think about whether I'm covered or not.

Also in my post I clearly stated my plans if Thailand were to introduce tax on world wide income, so the big difference between us is you seem completely unable to read a post & understand it - I'd bet good money that your "Consulting for International Tax Companies" is as a Project Manager & not as somebody who actually understands it.

Regarding not being able to read a post: where have I stated that not filing a tax return is a tax evasion (it could be if you have taxes to be paid).

Questions

1. Have you asked your bank if not telling them your new country adress is OK despite the fact that you signed off that you will tell them immediately?

2. So come again what do you do for a living that qualifies you to judge bank compliance?

3. What do you do when the bank asks you once yearly where do you live (as most banks do our days)?

Bonus question: wa

Edited by stat
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, stat said:

Regarding not being able to read a post: where have I stated that not filing a tax return is a tax evasion (it could be if you have taxes to be paid). Have you asked your bank if not telling them your new country adress is OK despite the fact that you signed off that you will tell them immediately? So come again what do you do for a living that qualifies you to judge bank compliance?

On 6/8/2024 at 10:21 PM, stat said:

I agree with almost everything.

The only item that crossed my mind is that non O and non OA visa holders would not be shown on TRD radar. You could go back to back with those visa for many years. However you would still commit tax evasion if you would not hand in a tax declaration.

I thought a lot of the planned changes unthinkable just 2 weeks ago...

So now you don't understand/comprehend what your posting?  

When I said "For Correspondence" I meant so that my Bank could send me statements, Debit/Credit cards etc... it was them that suggested I changed my HOME address to that of my parents address when they moved me to Singapore as they only had the Investment Bank business out there.

I do know that they would close my account if I told them I was no longer UK Resident (Their stated reason is because they cannot offer me a full range of Products) but I am VERY CAREFUL not to break any laws when it comes to investing in UK Tax Free products E.g. I don't add any money to my ISAs or take part in Share Sales that are restricted to UK Residents (e.g. the NatWest Sale that will happen once the new UK Government is in place), I even lost my UK driving license in 2013 because I wouldn't lie to the Government about where I live (In the UK you can only renew your driving license if you live in the UK & it is an offense to have an incorrect/out of date address on your driving license).

I'm retired now but prior to that worked for a UK bank (26 years) & Citibank (4.5 years) & even though it was in IT we had to do the same KYC/Compliance training as any other Bank staff & even more than most as I was Director level working in the Investment Bank so we had additional compliance restrictions that majority of Bank staff wouldn't have (E.g. We had to take at least 1 period of 2 weeks complete leave with no access to the corporate network, except for phone calls/email on our Blackberrys, every year & had "Black Out" periods around quarterly report times where we weren't allowed to trade the Bank's shares).  

I did hit the nail on the head with Project Manager didn't I? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

So now you don't understand/comprehend what your posting?  

When I said "For Correspondence" I meant so that my Bank could send me statements, Debit/Credit cards etc... it was them that suggested I changed my HOME address to that of my parents address when they moved me to Singapore as they only had the Investment Bank business out there.

I do know that they would close my account if I told them I was no longer UK Resident (Their stated reason is because they cannot offer me a full range of Products) but I am VERY CAREFUL not to break any laws when it comes to investing in UK Tax Free products E.g. I don't add any money to my ISAs or take part in Share Sales that are restricted to UK Residents (e.g. the NatWest Sale that will happen once the new UK Government is in place), I even lost my UK driving license in 2013 because I wouldn't lie to the Government about where I live (In the UK you can only renew your driving license if you live in the UK & it is an offense to have an incorrect/out of date address on your driving license).

I'm retired now but prior to that worked for a UK bank (26 years) & Citibank (4.5 years) & even though it was in IT we had to do the same KYC/Compliance training as any other Bank staff & even more than most as I was Director level working in the Investment Bank so we had additional compliance restrictions that majority of Bank staff wouldn't have (E.g. We had to take at least 1 period of 2 weeks complete leave with no access to the corporate network, except for phone calls/email on our Blackberrys, every year & had "Black Out" periods around quarterly report times where we weren't allowed to trade the Bank's shares).  

I did hit the nail on the head with Project Manager didn't I? 

So you want to tell me that as a retired investment banker that has investments in the UK you do not cross the 3500 Pound p.a. income? That would be (maybe) the exception where you would not be legally obliged to hand in a tax declaration in TH.

Apparently you fall in the category of people that do not realize how much the world has changed in the last 5 years regarding KYC .

1. Have you asked your bank if not telling them your new country adress is OK despite the fact that you signed off that you will tell them immediately?

2. So come again what do you do for a living that qualifies you to judge bank compliance?

3. What do you do when the bank asks you once yearly where do you live (as most banks do our days)?

You answered questions 2 but question 1 and 3 remain unanswered.

41 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Only getting a TIN or other simpler things would maybe cost 10,000 or 20,000.

That's crazy.

Do it yourself at no cost.

Depends on office of course, but Bangkapi tax office by Rajamangala national stadium on ramkhamhaeng by the university.   took 15 minutes.

*edit for location*

thanks, lorry.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Sheep paying the high price to get slaughtered. This world is fascinating.

yes and advertizing help getting a (FREE) Thai Tax ID number for 10-20K baht is really a ripoff..worse by far than any other ripoffs I see almost daily.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, JackGats said:

I got a TIN free of charge in 20 minutes' time at Chonburi Revenue Office. That was back in 2019.

I got mine this year free within 30 minutes in Bangkok. The only issue is a bit communicating in English, staff was however very helpful and polite. 

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

can anybody confirm this? Has anybody's lawyer been called?

My main point was  

Can anybody confirm that immigration is calling/notifying Immigration lawyers that from Jan 1st you need a tax declaration to extend your visa ?

12 hours ago, JackGats said:

I got a TIN free of charge in 20 minutes' time at Chonburi Revenue Office. That was back in 2019.

Took me about 40 minutes when I got mine at the Naklua Office (The day before I'd tried at the Jomtien Office but was told that as I lived in Wongamat I had to get my TIN from Naklua, then when it came to filing the return I was told at Naklua I had to file it at Jomtien :s ) 

Most of that time was them questioning me (via the GF) as to why I needed one as I wasn't working in Thailand, told them I needed one for my UK Bank (sort of true) & I was planning on buying a property so believe I would need one to pay property tax & they relented. 

4 hours ago, marino28 said:

After the initial news, I did not find any further updates. Considering all the legal requirements that need to be in place to implement worldwide taxation, they might not have enough time to enact it by 2025, especially given the current political issues they are dealing with.

There is definetly not enough time to implement by 2025 but I wonder if they care about that and go ahead nevertheless without any laws, clarifications or accounting rules.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, stat said:

However maybe they decide to just tax every satang you transmit no matter if principal or loss.

You really thought that through before you pushed "send?" If so, I guess I won't waste any of my future time wading through your posts for any germane contributions.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, JimGant said:

You really thought that through before you pushed "send?" If so, I guess I won't waste any of my future time wading through your posts for any germane contributions.

Quite frankly I do not understand your reply. If TRD is not happy with your documentation they could simply tax every satang unless YOU prove otherwise (They will however honor DBAs). Don't shoot the messenger. I am talking about a possibility here.

My take is you think about your pension (will not be taxed as covered by DBA) I am talking ww cap gains that have not been taxed somewhere else.

Edited by stat