Thank God I'm a city boy

That said, currently I'm in Manila City 

A city which is very busy 24 hours a day far more than other cities 

Every fast food restaurant has crowds etc ,so....it depends on what city , could I live in Manila City vs Bangkok....I would have to say Bangkok although many areas in Manila are very modern .

I haven't seen any crime at all and I travelling the metro trains until midnight 

my home is a converted barn in beautiful, small english village (100 people) clean, quiet, wonderful. I lived in london for 11 years and absolutely loved it. Live in bkk now and love the hustle an bustle. i'm very comfortable with both city and countryside, and am fortunatelly financially able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some of us want to live in the city.

I live in a condominium high up, no mosquitos, snakes, rats and whatever there is on the ground in the villages.

I have lots of restaurants, bars, and supermarkets in walking distance. A fresh market 10min away with the bike.

World class hospitals - in case I need them.

Everything is nearby.

We even have some parks. And if I want to see more nature or the beach, I can take a day trip or more to go there.

Same here. Love Bangkok. Vibrant city with something for all. Easy to get away to beaches or national parks. Two airports with numerous cheap flights to anywhere in Asia within a few hours. 

30 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

A city which is very busy 24 hours a day far more than other cities 

yeah, cuz it's important to be up all night long

get a night shift job if you don't like sleeping at night. 

ight

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

could I live in Manila City vs Bangkok

I grew up in Sydney, not too far from many beaches. 

I need to live near the sea. 

Nothing better than riding my PCX down Pattaya beach road, north to south, past Bali Hai Pier then through Royal Cliff, down Pratumnak and then Jomtien Beach road. 

So many different things to look at, the view is always changing, dynamic and of course the many pretty girls to check out on my way. 👀

People are so friendly, I always get a nice smile after greeting a strangers (females) with a 'morning' 👍

Riding past the many restaurants I often look inside, people enjoying their meal (you get the occasional guy complaining about his undercooked cheeseburger 😡), I prefer to keep quiet riding past the grumpy guys. 😂

Love life, wouldn't be anywhere else. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Always been a city boy ( NYC ) ..    loved it..   at 43 I packed up and moved out to the country..  let's call it self preservation ..

Moved to BKK when we first got here for about 9 months..  to me it's ..   NYC on steroids

now nestled in on 2 rai of land  smack in the middle of pineapple fields.....  love it

the photo is from Saturday night when the wife stepped out the back door and just missed stepping on a monacled cobra

I keep a  1.5meter grabber on hand for these things  ,,  a quick snatch then walk the boy down about 200 meters and toss it into the woods

FTH All Stainless Steel Grabber Reacher Pickup Tool Heavy Duty Trash Picker  L... | eBay20240518_203756.thumb.jpg.bbd4a16cf51b148907ea6f7f3ddf1fce.jpg

Posted (edited)

If you think Bangkok is "NYC on steroids" try Manila 

This city never stops !!

Yes there's no way I could retiree to Pattaya ,times change, people change

If I would retire it would be a City such as Bangkok ....well maybe CEBU in Philippines 

Edited by georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Always been a city boy ( NYC ) ..    loved it..   at 43 I packed up and moved out to the country..  let's call it self preservation ..

Moved to BKK when we first got here for about 9 months..  to me it's ..   NYC on steroids

now nestled in on 2 rai of land  smack in the middle of pineapple fields.....  love it

the photo is from Saturday night when the wife stepped out the back door and just missed stepping on a monacled cobra

I keep a  1.5meter grabber on hand for these things  ,,  a quick snatch then walk the boy down about 200 meters and toss it into the woods

FTH All Stainless Steel Grabber Reacher Pickup Tool Heavy Duty Trash Picker  L... | eBay20240518_203756.thumb.jpg.bbd4a16cf51b148907ea6f7f3ddf1fce.jpg

Until the next time it returns and maybe bites you, your wife or a child, who has to get to a hospital very quickly or they will die.

I prefer to live in a medium size city such as Pattaya, which has all the things and services I need, but be not too far from a big city.  Bangkok is a nice distance away--about 1.5 hours by car.  Not too close or too far.

9 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Until the next time it returns and maybe bites you, your wife or a child, who has to get to a hospital very quickly or they will die.

No other options really ..  snakes are part of nature ..  I don't fear them ,,  I respect them

I would say the odds are way higher of getting bitten by a soi rat ( that would be a SOI DOG )  which are not part of nature

but a by product of human A Holes

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I prefer to live in a medium size city such as Pattaya, which has all the things and services I need, but be not too far from a big city.  Bangkok is a nice distance away--about 1.5 hours by car.  Not too close or too far.

You really need to move to the Philippines 

• Confused 1