Russian Driver Collides with Motorbike, Leaving One Dead

webfact

2 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

And this Russian driver differs from so very many Thai drivers in this respect how exactly? 

the Thais can't be kicked out of the country...but also, many of the Thai drivers have high-level contacts or deep pockets so an act such as this can be totally wiped away even though all the newspapers carry the story.  Some Ferari drivers fit into this category too.

Whilst I believe that people should be able to state their feelings towards others to an extent. Its true that some nationalities have 'ways' that are unnaceptable to the mainstream but I'm very surprised that blatant racism is tolerated here - especially calling an entire race, dirtbags!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Whilst I believe that people should be able to state their feelings towards others to an extent. Its true that some nationalities have 'ways' that are unnaceptable to the mainstream but I'm very surprised that blatant racism is tolerated here - especially calling an entire race, dirtbags!

3 out of 3 of the recent drunk driving deaths that killed foreigners here that we are aware of were caused by Russians.  I guess I can't get super worked up about this "racism."

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

3 out of 3 of the recent drunk driving deaths that killed foreigners here that we are aware of were caused by Russians.  I guess I can't get super worked up about this "racism."

The key words being 'that we are aware of'.  There are several reports of murders on AN most weeks and most of them have some connection to foreigners or are particularly gruesome, bizarre etc.  If you read the Thai press you will find many more murders every week that we never become aware of.

Likewise, I'd suggest there will have been many Thai on Thai drink driving cases that have involved deaths recently - we are not made aware of those either.

16 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

The key words being 'that we are aware of'.  There are several reports of murders on AN most weeks and most of them have some connection to foreigners or are particularly gruesome, bizarre etc.  If you read the Thai press you will find many more murders every week that we never become aware of.

Likewise, I'd suggest there will have been many Thai on Thai drink driving cases that have involved deaths recently - we are not made aware of those either.

Fully agree, Thai media is full of many accidents every day.

Below is the list of non-Thai road deaths and injuries so far in 2024, taken from the Thai Road Safety Campaign website, the Russians do not have a good record, but you can not tar a whole nation, based on those involved in these accidents.

https://www.thairsc.com/eng/

IMG_2867.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

So now the p##sed Russian was not to blame, must have been the bike speeding that caused him to run over them from the rear. Nothing like a bit of victim blaming!

Below is 2 stills from the video of the scene, the smashed rear light and number plate have been pushed under the frame and the whole bike folded up, by the force of the impact.

This is a well light road, and the Russian did not see the bike because of the alcohol he consumed, but don’t let reality get in the way of a bit of bashing.

IMG_2865.jpeg

IMG_2860.jpeg

Im not exonerating the car driver at all..read my reply!...my comment about the bike was from the few earlier photos.

10 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

My list to never get on a motorbike keeps getting longer and longer and longer.

Over 50 years of riding bikes and over 40 driving cars.  Three serious accidents in that time - two in cars, none my fault but the worst injuries were caused in a car crash.

You can be however, more vulnerable on a bike and moreso if you don't ride correctly and with total awareness.  One of my serious accidents was indeed on a bike but a bike that I was not in control of - Bangkok motorbike taxi.

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Every nationality has drunks and I doubt a 30 day visa would have made any difference, probably many late night drivers in Pattaya are over the limit.

not as many as russians, 50% of nation is permanently drunk and with alcohol they think they are invincible 

• Like 2

Just now, tandor said:

Im not exonerating the car driver at all..read my reply!...my comment about the bike was from the few earlier photos.

You said maybe a contributing factor, because you made assumptions about the bike, without any clear information.

This was a drunk driver, on a well lit 4 lane road, who witnesses reported to be speeding, driving erratically and then slammed into and ran over the motorbike.

Are you someone that thinks it is ok to drive after you had a drink?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: CH 7

Last night, a Russian man driving a car in Pattaya caused a severe accident by colliding with a motorcycle, leaving one person dead and one critically injured. The incident occurred on Sukhumvit Road, near the South Pattaya traffic light, as the driver, appearing inebriated, sped down the road.

Local rescue services quickly arrived at the scene, finding the car's front end heavily damaged. The driver, a 40-year-old Russian national named Romasco, exhibited signs of intoxication. Nearby, a motorbike lay wrecked, with two severely injured Thai nationals, 28-year-old Mukcharee and Boonpop. Medics provided immediate first aid before rushing both victims to a nearby hospital, reported Thai CH 7.

Witnesses at the scene, including 40-year-old Somsak, described seeing the foreign driver speeding erratically before slamming into the motorbike from behind. The collision was so forceful that it sent the motorbike riders flying, causing severe injuries. Somsak quickly contacted local rescue services, who arrived within minutes.

Local police also responded, documenting the accident scene and gathering evidence, including photos and witness statements. They intend to review nearby CCTV footage to piece together a complete account of the events leading up to the crash. An alcohol test is pending to determine the driver’s level of intoxication at the time of the accident.

Tragically, Mukcharee succumbed to her injuries shortly after arriving at the hospital, while Boonpop remains in critical condition. Authorities are coordinating with the deceased's family to prepare for her funeral rites.

This incident marks another grim reminder of the dangers posed by driving under the influence, with authorities urging all motorists to exercise caution and responsibility on the roads. The investigation is ongoing, and further updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-21

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I hope, they will not send the Russky back home but let him rott for at least 10 years in a Thai prison. Get his credit card or/and assets and try to compensate the victim's families.🙏

• Thumbs Up 1

"An alcohol test is pending to determine the driver’s level of intoxication at the time of the accident."

Do they not usually do an alcohol test at the time of the accident? (Or thereabouts?):whistling:

Maybe it should read "the result of an alcohol test is pending to determine the driver’s level of intoxication at the time of the accident."?

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

You said maybe a contributing factor, because you made assumptions about the bike, without any clear information.

This was a drunk driver, on a well lit 4 lane road, who witnesses reported to be speeding, driving erratically and then slammed into and ran over the motorbike.

Are you someone that thinks it is ok to drive after you had a drink?

grow up Troll.

4 minutes ago, tandor said:

grow up Troll.

I post facts and real images from the scene, you make up your own assumptions and you call me a troll, so funny.

• Like 1

Where dos it says he was drunk?

its waiting for the test results. 

But 99% off the motorbikes drive without light, he driving on the right lane, why , couse he want to turn right in 700 meters?? Just stay in the left lane !!

Sure, iff the truck driver was drunk its not to good.

My friend hit a motorbike standing still with no lights, went to court 2 times and the victims , no lights, no helmets, no driver license , no insurance but know the way to court, whit the help off dirty cops... Money money money...

My friend get 2 hart atacks from all the stress, next time just do it good...

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

I post facts and real images from the scene, you make up your own assumptions and you call me a troll, so funny.

initially there was one photo from which i made my remarks which included possibles and maybes..you obviously had access to more photos ie the plate which i coudlnt see along with light lenses..however i did say regardless the driver of the Ford was reckless and negligent regardless of whether he was intoxicated as alleged. What you won't accept, probably because you're ignorant of this, is that all road users who get involved in an accident are each apporitoned a percentage of the total blame. The mere fact the motor cycle riders (RIP) were on the road and maybe/perhaps/probably doing everything correctly, must still share a certain responsibility because they were there and got hit. All courts of law apportion blame this way, including Thailand who follow the British system in most laws. So no need to nit-pick with me and i hope you learnt something today!

11 hours ago, webfact said:

This incident marks another grim reminder of the dangers posed by driving under the influence, with authorities urging all motorists to exercise caution and responsibility on the roads. The investigation is ongoing, and further updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

What a crock.... he exhibits.. he showed signs.. real professionals making the news out to be fact. Yet they throw this grim reminder in as if they know that was the cause of the accident. They should wait until the tests show he was intoxicated and videos show he was at fault. As of now, the man is already proclaimed guilty by being under the influence causing vehicular manslaughter. Guilty before any facts are known at all

9 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

Can't afford 4 wheels, maybe, but could well have afforded decent crash helmets? Not saying it would have guaranteed survival in this case , but the relevance is that so many Thais don't bother with any helmet where statistics say that so many more would be alive today by that relatively cheap expedient. 

Sorry I must have missed the part where it said helmets were not worn

11 hours ago, nutosf said:

Is Russian money more important than Thai's lives? Put them on 30-visa.

is that even a question? seems like a statement to me , or u didnt live here long enuff? u must be new here, welcom 😚

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Studies from OZ and the USA say the risk of death per km is 20-40x as high on a scooter as in a 4 wheeler.  The same sets of studies show that helmets reduce the risk by 40%.  So even with a helmet, riding a scooter is still over 10x as dangerous per km.

Wear a helmet, sure.  Buy a good one, not a plastic POS that will only get you past the checkpoints.  Leather jackets and leggings will help, too (if you can stand the heat).  But they won't keep your legs or head from getting ripped off.  Seat belts and 2 tons of steel will.

Plastic  / poly  helmets bounce on impact .... ( and crack apart ..  along with your neck)  fiberglass / resin helmets will absorb and you take the impact like getting hit with a sledge hammer ,,,  still a better option

Have to agree ,,    I'm a Lifetime Member of H.O.G ( Harley Owners Group )   would never ride 10' without a helmet/gloves/jacket/jeans or chaps and boots

not to mention 2 mirrors and adequate lighting both front and rear ..  as oppssed to I would venture to say no helmet,shorts,flipflops,cell phone in hand , smoking, 2-3 passengers, no mirrors and no lighting....

you can be the best rider on the road ....but ....either way you go .. even  an 80year old lady driving a 3000lb car will just squash you like a bug on impact ....