Why are there restrictions on weed but not on alcohol?

Why don't they ban advertising for weed in the same way they do for tobacco and alcohol? 

At least drinking alcohol, or even smoking cigarettes to a point, doesn't stink in the same way smoking this ridiculous weed does. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

You had a community minded teacher then?

I have no idea what that means,      But it was a standard part of the curriculum, learning about yeast and the process pf fermentation

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Which means that I have managed to avoid either the wrong company or living in a country where people are in such fear of their life that they feel obliged to carry a gun for self-defense. I think I win.

Win what? My point was that guns are useful for self-defense. Your having never needed one doesn't affect that at all.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I have no idea what that means,      But it was a standard part of the curriculum, learning about yeast and the process pf fermentation

Very sorry my sense of humour fell short of its mark this time.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Win what? My point was that guns are useful for self-defense. Your having never needed one doesn't affect that at all.

My point was that the vast majority of people in the world, like me, have never felt the need to have a gun for self-defense. Certainly outside of a war zone, and even there they leave defense to the professionals. I'm assuming that you are American, member of the land of the free where people live in fear of attack and feel they must therefore 'take precautions', so you have grown up with your warped view that guns are a good thing. You might not have noticed that the rest of the world has a different view.

Cue 'how do I know what other people have felt and how do I know what the rest of the world thinks'. Don't bother. I read and watch the news without blinkers on.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/21/2024 at 6:11 PM, transam said:

Booze has been around since the Roman times, ale was drunk by most in the UK because drinking water was contaminated with all sorts of nasties. So booze of some sort was/is part of the UK culture.

Pubs were in easy walking distance, they were everywhere...........🤗

At the same time, tobacco, whether in a pipe or paper, has been around for centuries.

Dope, I suppose we must thank the Chinese for that, though I am not going look.......😋

Nope the Englishmen and the Frenchmen. They started the so-called opium wars against China as the Chinese King did not let England sell opium in China (the Englishmen wanted to exchange opium with local Chinese products like tea and silk). The Chinese lost the two wars and the Kingdom of China fell forever. Learn that almost every time there is a conflict between countries England is involved with a bad attitude.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Booze has been around since the Roman times, ale was drunk by most in the UK because drinking water was contaminated with all sorts of nasties. So booze of some sort was/is part of the UK culture.

At the same time, tobacco, whether in a pipe or paper, has been around for centuries.

Dope, I suppose we must thank the Chinese for that, though I am not going look.......😋

Edited by Parsve
Dobble click.
  • Haha 1

Nope the Englishmen and the Frenchmen. They started the so-called opium wars against China as the Chinese King did not let England sell opium in China (the Englishmen wanted to exchange opium with local Chinese products like tea and silk). The Chinese lost the two wars and the Kingdom of China fell forever. Learn that almost every time there is a conflict between countries England is involved with a bad attitude.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Parsve said:

My mate Sherlock Holmes told me different...........🤗

12 minutes ago, transam said:

My mate Sherlock Holmes told me different...........🤗

Ok, so your mate is right and the history books are wrong.

Adults should have the option of taking risks that could harm themselves.  But not the right of taking risks that could harm others.

In the event that there is evidence that they are doing the latter - e.g. by driving erratically under the influence - they might be legally forbidden to take the particular drug, whatever it might be.  As well as any other penalty as may be appropriate.

The former would of course be unenforceable.

But then, in the case of recidivism, they could be very heavily penalised.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My point was that the vast majority of people in the world, like me, have never felt the need to have a gun for self-defense. Certainly outside of a war zone, and even there they leave defense to the professionals.

Again, that's all pretty irrelevant, as there are people who use/carry guns for self-defence.  You saying that you (or some other people) do not, does not change that.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Again, that's all pretty irrelevant, as there are people who use/carry guns for self-defence.  You saying that you (or some other people) do not, does not change that.

I'm not getting into pointless arguments with you. Nor am I going to read any more of your posts as I'm blocking you. I don't waste my time on idiots.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I'm indifferent to both these days, but....

This link suggests that "Despite its medical usefulness, many Americans’ attitudes toward cannabis shifted at the turn of the [20th] century. This was at least partly motivated by Mexican immigration to the U.S. around the time of the 1910 Mexican Revolution, according to Eric Schlosser, author of Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labour in the American Black Market." And some other countries followed the US.

This despite the fact that "the drug wasn’t always prohibited. Anglo-Americans and Europeans have known about marijuana’s medicinal benefits since at least the 1830s. Around that time, Sir William Brooke O'Shaughnessy, an Irish doctor studying in India, documented that cannabis extracts could ease cholera symptoms like stomach pain and vomiting. By the late 19th century, Americans and Europeans could buy cannabis extracts in pharmacies and doctors’ offices to help with stomach aches, migraines, inflammation, insomnia, and other ailments." O'Shaughnessy's praise of mj's benefits is a long way from today's obsession with high THC recreation though.

From my own experience of both, alcohol was a social drug, and a glass of wine with a nice meal is very different from the way I used weed, which was specifically to get stoned, and I think most recreational users do too, otherwise why bother it. But lots of drinkers don't drink to get drunk. This is a difference that often gets overlooked.

https://www.history.com/news/why-the-u-s-made-marijuana-illegal

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not getting into pointless arguments with you. Nor am I going to read any more of your posts as I'm blocking you. I don't waste my time on idiots.

Why did you start one, then?

Don't be mad just because you said something wrong and another person pointed it out.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by BangkokReady

On 5/21/2024 at 5:14 PM, Conan The Barbarian said:

I mean why not have it on both anyway both of them are harmful to your health and I guess alcohol is more harmful 

I don't drink nor do I smoke.

Nonsense, there are restrictions on alcohol, most holidays you are not allowed to buy alcohol no alcohol between 2 and 5 no alcohol advertising is allowed, but you can smoke weed anytime and even advertise it does that answer your question?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, oldscool said:

This despite the fact that "the drug wasn’t always prohibited. Anglo-Americans and Europeans have known about marijuana’s medicinal benefits since at least the 1830s.

Opiates and Coca (this covers drugs like Heroin, Morphine, Cocaine) were unregulated and legal up until 1914 I believe... (Coke Cola recipe was changed as a result).  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Opiates and Coca (this covers drugs like Heroin, Morphine, Cocaine) were unregulated and legal up until 1914 I believe... (Coke Cola recipe was changed as a result).  

That's right, though the medicinal benefits of heroin, morphine and cocaine, other than as pain-killers, are questionable.

Excuse me, your ignorance is showing again lol!

• Agree 1

Just now, ThaiFelix said:

Excuse me, your ignorance is showing again lol!

Really, where is the ignorance.........?  🤔

If you want to make a post, perhaps including the facts would be helpful, instead of the dig..

Please try again, Tom......🥴 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Since when is Cannabis, Opium? And there's evidence that weed has been grown to smoke as well as make rope out of, for thousands of years. The USA is to blame for criminalising it and starting the propeganda campeign against it back in the 20's and 30's...

Definitions from Oxford Languages:
dope
/dōp/
noun
INFORMAL
a drug taken illegally for recreational purposes, especially marijuana or heroin.
"my dad caught me smoking dope"

So, dope is Cannabis or Heroin, and my comment was in reply to: "Dope, I suppose we must thank the Chinese for that, though I am not going look"

• Like 1