One dead, 30 injured in Singapore Airlines emergency landing

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

are Singapore Airlines paying for their medical costs where needed?

Sorry I can’t give a definitive answer, as Singapore Airlines have not released any details or information, other than the numbers still remaining in Bangkok.

EDIT: (This statement above is not correct as per @HighPriority next post below. The airline has confirmed it is paying the medical costs. I will not delete my error, as the additional comments below are still relevant and I can admit when I get it wrong.)

My own opinion is that they must be, as other than the one earlier case there has been little media complaints from passengers, and the press have been all over the hospitals.

Singapore are also signed up to the Montreal Convention (MC99) which applies when injuries are caused as a result of a flight, The convention does not cover extraordinary circumstances where the airline is not considered at fault for the delay, such as weather issues, but that is only for delays.

The Airline has also, I believe, arranged and paid for all passengers to get to their final destinations, on new flights, so far.

I am sure that there will be future compensation claims, which could be substantial, and the airline will use the amounts paid out so far, as defence against those amounts awarded.

The crisis management response by Singapore Airlines has been praised so far, as being very transparent and I do not believe they want to risk their reputation, by not paying medical costs. 

Singapore Airlines are insured themself, with the main liability insurer being the Allianz Group. Also 56% of voting stock of the airline is owned by the Singapore government, through Temasek Holdings.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Thank you.

I forgot my own post, maybe was distracted by the details of the TSIB preliminary report.

@scubascuba3 the airline has confirmed they are paying all medical and hospital costs.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Thank you.

I forgot my own post, maybe was distracted by the details of the TSIB preliminary report.

No problems George, as someone who was flying Singapore Air on the 23 May your understanding of the issues and clear communication was comforting to me, as is Singapore Airs communications about the event.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

On May 30, 2024, the Naval Aviation Division, Fleet Operations Command organised a emergency response, training exercise, to test the pre-determined plans for an aircraft accident at U-Tapao Airport.

ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation), guidelines, require this type of exercise takes place twice a year. This incident involved a Thai Navy, Dornier Do-228-212, turboprop aircraft with multiple casualties, crashed on the airport apron.

All airport and external agencies expected to respond in a real incident were involved, and there was pre exercise, refresher training, at the airport, between 24 - 30 May, to develop knowledge, cooperation, emergency planning/procedures, communications and incident command/management systems.

IMG_3054.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This article contains a basic animation of the timeline and flight height changes, of this turbulence event, based on the flight data information released by TSIB (Transport Safety Investigation Bureau), in their preliminary investigation report. It highlights this was a very short but violent occurrence.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/watch/sq321-turbulence-flight-data-what-happened-4377936

Edited by Georgealbert

51 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

This article contains a basic animation of the timeline and flight height changes, of this turbulence event, based on the flight data information released by TSIB (Transport Safety Investigation Bureau), in their preliminary investigation report. It highlights this was a very short but violent occurrence.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/watch/sq321-turbulence-flight-data-what-happened-4377936

That woulda been a wild ride !

image.png.29cba067cbbd7b602022d8b8d1359561.png

News update from the weekend, quoted a Bangkok hospital as saying, two or three passengers who were on turbulence-hit flight left Thailand by air ambulances, while others required nurses and doctors accompanying them on commercial flights.

As of 7 June, around 10 passengers remain in Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital in Thailand more than two weeks after the incident, but most are fit to fly and are likely to be discharged in the coming weeks.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/sq321-thai-doctor-bangkok-singapore-airlines-air-ambulances-4396446

Singapore Airlines has offered to pay compensation to those who were injured on a London to Singapore flight that encountered severe turbulence.

IMG_3203.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 2

"Singapore Airlines offers $10,000 compensation to those injured in turbulence flight"

"The airline noted it provided all passengers with S$1,000 (US$739) each “to meet their immediate expenses upon departure from Bangkok”, and that it had also been covering the medical expenses of the injured passengers, and arranged for their family members and loved ones to fly up to Bangkok where requested."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/11/singapore-airlines-compensation-turbulence-injuries-sq321

In light of the news yesterday, that Singapore Airlines will be paying compensation, I wonder if the member who berated me for saying that Singapore would payout rather then risk their excellent reputation would care to comment?

24 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

In light of the news yesterday, that Singapore Airlines will be paying compensation, I wonder if the member who berated me for saying that Singapore would payout rather then risk their excellent reputation would care to comment?

Fully agree, it is not just the compensation, it is the whole transparent, post incident proactive, crisis management response, by Singapore Airlines, that has been excellent.

Also from the statement yesterday.

“SIA will provide a full refund of the air fare to all passengers travelling on SQ321 on 20 May 2024, including those who did not suffer any injuries. All passengers will also receive delay compensation in accordance with the relevant European Union or United Kingdom regulations.

We provided all passengers with S$1,000 each to meet their immediate expenses upon departure from Bangkok. SIA has also been covering the medical expenses of the injured passengers, and arranged for their family members and loved ones to fly up to Bangkok where requested.”

This event has made other airlines sit up and take notice, and hopefully will become the aviation gold standard for all accidents and incidents, but I doubt it, an example is the minor air con. Incident, reported yesterday involving Qatar Airways, where passengers were left in the overheated cabin for a few hours and the airline has not even released an explanation or press release.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Fully agree, it is not just the compensation, it is the whole transparent, post incident proactive, crisis management response, by Singapore Airlines, that has been excellent.

Yes, I believe we were in agreement at the time - but the other member was demanding I post links to airlines paying out and was adamant that Singapore wouldn't be paying on this occasion. Those posts have been removed I believe - it became a bit of a slanging match.

I fully expected Singapore to payout and I also suspect that if anyone's hospital bill proves to be bigger than the alloted amount, they will pay. They have a top rate reputation and they know the rules - they are not going to risk that.

Edited by MangoKorat

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes, I believe we were in agreement at the time - but the other member was demanding I post links to airlines paying out and was adamant that Singapore wouldn't be paying on this occasion. Those posts have been removed I believe - it became a bit of a slanging match.

I fully expected Singapore to payout and I also suspect that if anyone's hospital bill proves to be bigger than the alloted amount, they will pay. They have a top rate reputation and they know the rules - they are not going to risk that.

Yes I have never questioned or doubted Singapore Airlines, would go beyond what was required.

The medical payments are separate to the compensation offer, and the airline in the reply to the TSIB preliminary report, on 29 May, stated the airline is paying all medical and hospital costs, for all passengers.

I don’t believe all passengers will accept this initial compensation offer and there will be some legal action from some of the passengers, including maybe the more seriously injured.

Latest news article on the passengers, below.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/australian-dance-teacher-on-board-sq321-left-paralysed-from-chest-down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact that what, 3 weeks later there are still 20 people in hospital shows how serious the event was.

Essentially unavoidable but tragic and Singapore Airlines have stepped up to the plate so far.

Whilst no amount of money will compensate for someone with brain injury or paraplegia the airline have been honest and upfront with everyone (the Aussie guy from Adelaide may disagree)

• Thanks 1