You have $5,000 a month in the USA

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And many people buy homes every day. 

You can buy new homes in some states below $300K. At 7.75%, and 20% down, that's about $2,100 a month. 

Yeah, never in my life have I had more money than I knew what to do with, and I've never met anyone who has. 

You can buy homes in some states for under 50K and many more options at 100K. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You can buy homes in some states for under 50K and many more options at 100K. 

Not new homes, as far as I know. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not new homes, as far as I know. 

Definitely not unless you're talking about some kinds of factory built or tiny homes where you'd still need to buy land and hook ups.

$5k a month should be easy to live on.  You're leaving a lot of info out.  I'm actually not even seeing the point of the post.  Are you in the USA, or plan on going there.

$5k a month, 60k a year, assuming net (tax free or paid).  First you're single, then have a husband, which is it?   Although just another mouth to feed, so not that much difference.

$500-1000 ... rent & utilities, or

$1000-2000 ... rent & utilities, you still have $3000 to feed yourself on

$100 a day ... not seeing any problems

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

A place I found not on most people's maps is Oxford, North Carolina. Charming, historic, university town. House in town are expensive but not that bad. Good ought dining scene. Hits above its weight. Awhile back i found a house in okay shape about five miles out of town for $89k. Good access to culture, nightlife, nature and affordable enough. Places in town weren't even that had some places were around $250k and really nice. 

i could get on my ebike and have a leisurely ride into the town to have a few drink at night. These are the kind of places would enjoy. Also southern Georgia for access to water and wetlands to kayak. Both places are not far from the coast, have a million of interesting sites to see around them and you can probably still find a real gem of a place if you look seriously and know how to fix a few things. 

I have a travel trailer so would also consider land that's is unrestricted outside of a town. For me it is definitely the southeast because it does have culture, good food, nature and history. In fact much more than most places. These days the cold fronts also go way down south. So i dint want to be directly n south of let's say Minnesota. Texas gets pretty bad cold spells these days.

i also want to avoid storms so not too close to the coast. If i were a bit earlier i would love to look at a place like Savannah, GA. 

Had another look at Oxford. This small house came up for $110k 3 miles from the center. 

i dont lnow how to make zillow links but this address. 

5086 Antioch Rd. 

Oxford, NC. 

These kind of places interest me but again anybody can share their idea of what they would do. 

Edited by Cryingdick

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

$5k a month should be easy to live on.  You're leaving a lot of info out.  I'm actually not even seeing the point of the post.  Are you in the USA, or plan on going there.

$5k a month, 60k a year, assuming net (tax free or paid).  First you're single, then have a husband, which is it?   Although just another mouth to feed, so not that much difference.

$500-1000 ... rent & utilities, or

$1000-2000 ... rent & utilities, you still have $3000 to feed yourself on

$100 a day ... not seeing any problems

The point of the post is a hypothetical scenario to see what ideas others have. I am in the USA and have two places. In this scenario it would be my winter place. I am intentionally leaving the details open for others to paint their own picture. I am married. However i do many of my own things i am not chained to the marriage. We both have different interests and do what we want.

We all know it is possible to do this. So the idea is instead of quibbling about the fact it is possible, how to do it the best way possible? So unless you actually contribute to the theme and oick a spot and tell us how you can get the most enjoyment out of it there is no meaning. I picked $5k because it is in the realm of mere mortals.

I am not really looking for basic math of what utilities and rent cost. I am looking for s little bit of imagination and ideas of where to go to do it right or what might be the most enjoyable.  It isn't so much what does that life cost. We know it costs $5,000 a month i am looking more for what are the good things you can do and where they are likely to be. 

we alresdy have tons of threads about where you can live on the least amount possible. I wanted a thread we can discusses places you might desir3 to live if you have s pot to piss in.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The point of the post is a hypothetical scenario to see what ideas others have. I am in the USA and have two places. In this scenario it would be my winter place. I am intentionally leaving the details open for others to paint their own picture. I am married. However i do many of my own things i am not chained to the marriage. We both have different interests and do what we want.

We all know it is possible to do this. So the idea is instead of quibbling about the fact it is possible, how to do it the best way possible? So unless you actually contribute to the theme and oick a spot and tell us how you can get the most enjoyment out of it there is no meaning. I picked $5k because it is in the realm of mere mortals.

I am not really looking for basic math of what utilities and rent cost. I am looking for s little bit of imagination and ideas of where to go to do it right or what might be the most enjoyable.  It isn't so much what does that life cost. We know it costs $5,000 a month i am looking more for what are the good things you can do and where they are likely to be. 

we alresdy have tons of threads about where you can live on the least amount possible. I wanted a thread we can discusses places you might desir3 to live if you have s pot to piss in.

Too many variables.   Am I retired w/$5k a month, or working.  24 yrs ago, I was working, shy of 50k a year, but only a 2 day work week, with 5 days off to do whatever.  Last 10 years in USA, all I did was pretty much travel, party and scuba dive.

If there now, I'd probably be nomadic, and check out all the national park and nature there was to see,  Either in a converted van or truck, or simply a nice scooter.  If the country wasn't so big, might even do on an ebike, as PAS mode makes it easy when you don't feel like pedaling.

If I'm allowed to have buy in money, then a sailboat sounds good, as crossed my mind a couple times.

Options abound.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Too many variables.   Am I retired w/$5k a month, or working.  24 yrs ago, I was working, shy of 50k a year, but only a 2 day work week, with 5 days off to do whatever.  Last 10 years in USA, all I did was pretty much travel, party and scuba dive.

If there now, I'd probably be nomadic, and check out all the national park and nature their was to see,  Either in a converted van or truck, or simply a nice scooter.  If the country wasn't so big, might even do on an ebike, as PAS mode makes it easy when you don't feel like pedaling.

If I'm allowed to have buy in money, then a sailboat sounds good, as crossed my mind a couple times.

Options abound.

I have an RV and considered roaming about. Though with the gas and fees i am not certain you would have much left. You have to pay for dumping, water and anything you touch. In the south you are looking at $50-$75 a night campground fees for somewhere warm. Yeah you could boondocking but i just don't see hanging out on BLM land for months at a time. I would buy a piece of cheap land down south and maybe park the trailer. There are a lot of variables so you can just add the ones that apply to you personally. That is sort of the point.its your life and your money so what you would do is the only variable that matters for the purposes of this thread.

Okay so a boat. Where would you sail that you can live on a modest amount? 

49 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I have an RV and considered roaming about. Though with the gas and fees i am not certain you would have much left. You have to pay for dumping, water and anything you touch. In the south you are looking at $50-$75 a night campground fees for somewhere warm. Yeah you could boondocking but i just don't see hanging out on BLM land for months at a time. I would buy a piece of cheap land down south and maybe park the trailer. There are a lot of variables so you can just add the ones that apply to you personally. That is sort of the point.its your life and your money so what you would do is the only variable that matters for the purposes of this thread.

Full on RV is to expensive ... already posted this, and would use low key van or truck converted, or again, just a nice scooter, 750cc or 900cc

On 5/21/2024 at 8:42 PM, Cryingdick said:

You have $5,000 a month which I think is almost doable. Where do you go and why? Also can you live in the place you were raised on that amount?

If you own your home and have no debt, it's doable.  

On 5/24/2024 at 1:01 PM, Cryingdick said:

RVs are money pits.  Especially on a fixed income. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Too many variables for any of us to make a real opinion.

But FL, really? That will drain you real fast!

I'm a Californian, but I'm not dumb and recognized, albeit I love the State, culture, scenery, that was never going to be an option for retirement.

Back after college I'd come to South Dakota as a contractor for Rockwell on B1 bombers, and when I wanted a tax free State I bought a house in Rapid City while I was living full time in Asia.

I miss the ocean for sure, but I love the outdoors of the Black Hills, close enough to Denver, and I can live very comfortably on $5k

Edited by GinBoy2

On 5/22/2024 at 7:42 AM, Cryingdick said:

You have $5,000 a month which I think is almost doable. Where do you go and why? Also can you live in the place you were raised on that amount?

Yes. I take home almost that amount and after 7 years in LOS it might be time for a change. The only real concern I have is the cost of health insurance for my age group(60 and older. I checked and without the subsidey my monthly premium would range between $600 to over $1,000. Everything is doable and manageable.

32 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Yes. I take home almost that amount and after 7 years in LOS it might be time for a change. The only real concern I have is the cost of health insurance for my age group(60 and older. I checked and without the subsidey my monthly premium would range between $600 to over $1,000. Everything is doable and manageable.

In the US is you have no savings medical is free. 

If you have significant savings, buy a house and a new car with the savings and get medical free. 

• Confused 1

"in the US is you have no savings medical is free". 

Not true.  Free medical, if avaiable depending on what state or county one is is in, is dependendt on income.  No income or really low income then low cost medical care is available.  There are many clinics that serve the poor but the wait times can be long.  

Also the median price of a home in my home state of CA is just uner 1 million dollars.  If I had liquid savings near that amount i would never landed in LOS except for annual vacation or holiday. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/28/2024 at 3:33 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Too many variables for any of us to make a real opinion. ...

But FL, really? That will drain you real fast!

I'm a Californian, but I'm not dumb and recognized, albeit I love the State, culture, scenery, that was never going to be an option for retirement.

Back after college I'd come to South Dakota as a contractor for Rockwell on B1 bombers, and when I wanted a tax free State I bought a house in Rapid City while I was living full time in Asia.

I miss the ocean for sure, but I love the outdoors of the Black Hills, close enough to Denver, and I can live very comfortably on $5k

Plenty of places to rent for <$800 a month.  Not everyone wants to live in the expensive metro or beach areas.

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

"in the US is you have no savings medical is free". 

Not true.  Free medical, if avaiable depending on what state or county one is is in, is dependendt on income.  No income or really low income then low cost medical care is available.  There are many clinics that serve the poor but the wait times can be long.  

Also the median price of a home in my home state of CA is just uner 1 million dollars.  If I had liquid savings near that amount i would never landed in LOS except for annual vacation or holiday. 

I lived in the US for over twenty years without medical insurance and never had any difficulty getting medical care, and I had a lot of medical care, and never paid for any of it. 

If the median home price is $1M, that means that half of the homes sold are under that. 

Incidentally, I grew up in Californian as well, and had hundreds of thousands of dollars in "free" medical under Medical, which with your low income and lack of saving you would likely qualify for.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 4:28 AM, Mike_Hunt said:

If you own your home and have no debt, it's doable.  

There are many many places in the US where you can rent a one bedroom apartment for under 1000 a month.

Such places will have lower costs for most everything as well but generally you'll need a car.

But not in places that would be most people's top choices to live.

Debt is another story.

The is no problem living in the US for 5k a month but you need to make wise choices.

Edited by Jingthing

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I lived in the US for over twenty years without medical insurance and never had any difficulty getting medical care, and I had a lot of medical care, and never paid for any of it. 

If the median home price is $1M, that means that half of the homes sold are under that. 

Incidentally, I grew up in Californian as well, and had hundreds of thousands of dollars in "free" medical under Medical, which with your low income and lack of saving you would likely qualify for.  

When did I sayi have "low income" or "low savings"?  CA is a big place.  Barstow and Los Angeles are like two different countries.  Many could easily live in Bartow but many choose not to for many reasons. Many parts ot Los Angeles Country are still higly desireable and many want to be there. Hence the cost of living is high.  Since you had "a lot free medical care" you have been lucky. "hundreds of thousands of" free medical care?  How? Medicare, SSI, SSDI or even Medical?  You claimed no income or low income to get all this  free medical care? 

Edited by sqwakvfr

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In your post about an hour ago. 

Please show me where I said "i have low income"?  Also, I said "take home" income.  As you know this is after taxes and other decuctions have been applied.  Therefore, take home pay of $5,000 is low to you so what is your income since you have recieved "hundreds of thousands" of free medical care? 

Edited by sqwakvfr

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Again where is the phrase "low income"???

Sorry, I never meant to imply that you actually said, "I have low income".

In reference to Medical, what I said was "...with your low income and lack of savings you would likely qualify for..." 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Sorry, I never meant to imply that you actually said, "I have low income".

In reference to Medical, what I said was "...with your low income and lack of savings you would likely qualify for..." 

"Incidentally, I grew up in Californian as well, and had hundreds of thousands of dollars in "free" medical under Medical, which with your low income and lack of saving you would likely 

Ok. If you did not imply then why did you say "I have low income"? 

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

"Incidentally, I grew up in Californian as well, and had hundreds of thousands of dollars in "free" medical under Medical, which with your low income and lack of saving you would likely 

Ok. If you did not imply then why did you say "I have low income"? 

I did not mean to imply that you said you were low income, I meant to imply that you implied you were low income and had little savings? 

If that's not what you meant to imply, I'm sorry. Did you mean to imply that you were high income with a large savings? If so, that's fine. If you have a high income and a large savings, you will likely not qualify for "free" medical in the US. But because you implied (I think) you are over sixty, you only have a few years to Medicare, yes? 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I did not mean to imply that you said you were low income, I meant to imply that you implied you were low income and had little savings? 

If that's not what you meant to imply, I'm sorry. Did you mean to imply that you were high income with a large savings? If so, that's fine. If you have a high income and a large savings, you will likely not qualify for "free" medical in the US. But because you implied (I think) you are over sixty, you only have a few years to Medicare, yes? 

I do not imply.  I say what i mean and mean what I say. How is$5,000 per month net pay in anyway low income?  Does this mean your net pay is $10,000?  You know what net pay is? Net is in many case 20 to 25 % less than gross pay.  Also, Mediare only covers inpatient treatment.  Out patient is out of pocket unless one purchases a Medicare policy.  Of course you know this, right. I never impied I was over 60 because I am over 60. 

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I do not imply.  I say what i mean and mean what I say. How is$5,000 per month net pay in anyway low income?

You did not say your income was $5K after taxes, you said it was almost that. 

Does this mean your net pay is $10,000?

No

You know what net pay is?

No, please explain it. 

Net is in many case 20 to 25 % less than gross pay. 

And in many cases, it's 0% less, and in many others it's 50% less, are you sure you understand what net pay means? 

Also, Mediare only covers inpatient treatment.  Out patient is out of pocket unless one purchases a Medicare policy.  Of course you know this, right. I never impied I was over 60 because I am over 60. 

Yeah, you have to pay for part B, but as a high-income individual that $175 a month is likely not that significant. I'm low income and I don't really miss it. 

What you actually said was: "The only real concern I have is the cost of health insurance for my age group(60 and older. I checked and without the subsidey my monthly premium would range between $600 to over $1,000. Everything is doable and manageable."

So that would imply you were 60 or over. You claim you are over 60, and I have no reason to think you would not be truthful, so once you hit 65, you can get Medicare A and B, and it will cost you something over $175 a month, yes? 

26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You did not say your income was $5K after taxes, you said it was almost that. 

No

No, please explain it. 

And in many cases, it's 0% less, and in many others it's 50% less, are you sure you understand what net pay means? 

Yeah, you have to pay for part B, but as a high-income individual that $175 a month is likely not that significant. I'm low income and I don't really miss it. 

What you actually said was: "The only real concern I have is the cost of health insurance for my age group(60 and older. I checked and without the subsidey my monthly premium would range between $600 to over $1,000. Everything is doable and manageable."

So that would imply you were 60 or over. You claim you are over 60, and I have no reason to think you would not be truthful, so once you hit 65, you can get Medicare A and B, and it will cost you something over $175 a month, yes? 

I am over 60 does not imply I am over 60. It means I am over 60. Almost 5000 could mean 4999. Also, why do you care wha my net pay is or was? Net pay can very based upon individual financial circumstance but in most cases it is between 20 to 25 % less. Part A and B starts at $175 but could be more because I am not 65 yet. By the time I hit 65 it definitely will be more.

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

I am over 60 does not imply I am over 60. It means I am over 60.

I was going by what you said originally, which could mean you were not over 60. 

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

Almost 5000 could mean 4999.

It could also mean 3,000 or 4,000, so I am not sure what your point is. 

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

Also, why do you care wha my net pay is or was?

I don't care what your net pay is, you're making a big deal out of it, not me. 

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

Net pay can very based upon individual financial circumstance but in most cases it is between 20 to 25 % less.

No. Almost half of taxpayers in the US pay no federal income taxes, and a lot of people pay significantly more than 20-25%, particularly with few deductions and in a state like California with a what, 13% state income tax? 

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

Part A and B starts at $175 but could be more because I am not 65 yet. By the time I hit 65 it definitely will be more.

It's right at $175 now, and what I said was, something over $175, yes?