Luxury Porsche worth over 10 million baht catches fire in Bangkok

snoop1130

Personally, I love to see ostentatious displays of wealth go up in flames.  Burn, baby, burn!

Remember a few years ago when there was a rash of attacks on SUV dealerships in the States?  Climate activists taking matters into their own hands.  Wonderful footage on the evening news.  Though, admittedly, the pollution from the burning vehicles didn't exactly help the environment.

One of the things I found disappointing in Phnom Penh is the astonishing number of Rolls Royces being driven around.  In a country where the current king refused to don the crown at his coronation because it was too lavish a display in an impoverished nation, the Rolls Royces are actually an eyesore.  Can't the Cambodians and Thais find more productive uses for their wealth?  I'm all for a free market, but some consumers are narcissistic idiots.  Look at me!  Look at me!  I'm better than you!  I have more shiny stuff!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Random8 said:

Nope, I have plenty of money because I didn't piss it away on luxury goods.  All my friends with the shiny cars, boats and big houses are still working and bitching about it.

Reads like you are the one bitching about it, wishing folk bad luck with their purchases.....Hmmmmm..🤔

Perhaps keep it to yourself, remember the old saying...

"What goes around, comes around"...........:whistling:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, transam said:

Reads like you are the one bitching about it, wishing folk bad luck with their purchases.....Hmmmmm..🤔

Perhaps keep it to yourself, remember the old saying...

"What goes around, comes around"...........:whistling:

Believe what you want to believe.  Not surprised to get pushback from some guy who goes by "transam".  Surely, usernames "Ferrari" and "Lamborghini" will be sending snarky replies to me soon too.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Random8 said:

Believe what you want to believe.  Not surprised to get pushback from some guy who goes by "transam".  Surely, usernames "Ferrari" and "Lamborghini" will be sending snarky replies to me soon too.

Doubt it...........:coffee1:

On 5/25/2024 at 8:33 AM, DTL2014 said:

i thought foam was the appropriate extinguisher for electrical fires? can we assume the fire services know the correct procedures for how to deal with an EV fire?

What amazes me is a high end car showroom, with a workshop, did not it appears have any means to extinguish a fire. Is that not against the law ?

On 5/25/2024 at 7:16 PM, still kicking said:

Same,same many houses burned down by recharge E-bikes batteries 

It's become a major issue in NYC as many e-bike owners haul them to upstairs apartments when not in use, over 100 fires in the last year alone attributed to e-bikes.  Four people died recently when an e-bike shop burst into flames which quickly spread to apartments above.  Seems the lithium-ion batteries are being blamed for most of the fires.  Look for a whole raft of regulations regarding all e-transport tech in the near future.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dddave said:

As the one time owner of a small fleet of trucks and warehouses, I would emphasize this above all other things.  More people die or are severely physically compromised for the remainder of their lives by smoke and toxic fumes than by fire itself.  Structures and equipment can be replaced, human lives can not.  No hero's allowed.

Fully agree, often people seem to think fires are a spectators event, and underestimate the dangers that smoke plays, and most fail to understand that non-fatal smoke inhalation injuries,  from a fire, may leave long lasting damage:

Smoke inhalation injury can lead to respiratory complications and acute respiratory distress syndrome. During any hospitalisation the chances of developing pneumonia is increased in smoke inhalation victims.

Smoke Inhalation injury is associated with longstanding pulmonary dysfunction, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma. People with scarring of the lungs and windpipe from hot smoke, may have shortness of breath for the rest of their lives.

Even possible long-term neurologic conditions, cognitive dysfunction, memory impairment, anxiety and depression.

Not to make light of a serious subject, but this would be a good fire exit sign for these days.

IMG_3017.png

• Like 2

On 5/25/2024 at 6:40 PM, Random8 said:

Kind of agree with him.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/24/2024 at 5:51 PM, Georgealbert said:

A picture of the other side of the vehicle, shows that the car raised on jacks. The question is was this done by responders to aid firefighting, which would be unusual, or was the car being jacked for repairs, in the wrong location and damaged the battery.

Same side of the car, the two trolley jacks can be seen either side of the fireman's head in the OP photo.                                 

On 5/25/2024 at 4:10 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:
On 5/24/2024 at 5:51 PM, Georgealbert said:

A picture of the other side of the vehicle, shows that the car raised on jacks. The question is was this done by responders to aid firefighting, which would be unusual, or was the car being jacked for repairs, in the wrong location and damaged the battery. Battery location on the Taycan shown below.

Given the relative ease reported in extinguishing the fire, this would not appear to be a thermal runaway battery event.

IMG_2960.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

Expand  

Outstanding.

Outstandingly incorrect, the jacks are there in the OP pic!

On 5/25/2024 at 8:33 AM, DTL2014 said:

i thought foam was the appropriate extinguisher for electrical fires? can we assume the fire services know the correct procedures for how to deal with an EV fire?

From the OP photo it looks as though that could be foam being used.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:59 AM, mran66 said:

Turbo EV - Porsche must have run out of imagination giving names for their EV...would have expected EV to have been given a name that is relevant for EV instead of something for internal combustion engine cars. Go figure

"Turbo" is also Porsche-speak for a body style.

On 5/28/2024 at 4:36 PM, FritsSikkink said:
On 5/25/2024 at 6:40 PM, Random8 said:

Kind of agree with him.

Me too - transam, that is.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Outstandingly incorrect, the jacks are there in the OP pic!

Below is the picture, already posted in the thread before emergency responders got to the scene, and as you see, the jacks are not in place, with staff using a hosepipe and a bowl of water to try to extinguish the developing fire.

The emergency responders, with the showroom technicians, used the jacks to access the batteries.

IMG_3090.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:02 AM, KhunLA said:

Fire blankets for EV fires.  Fire fighting 101 ... deprive it oxygen.   Never was rocket science ... YT has plenty of vids showing fire blankets.

Now just waiting for the .. "what if" comments :coffee1:

What if.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From the OP photo it looks as though that could be foam being used.

Sorry, but none of the pictures in this thread show any evidence that emergency responders used foam, during this fire. The original picture shows a standard firefighting hand controlled water nozzle being used, on a spray/fog setting, rather than a firefighting jet. A spray  pattern produces water droplets, and hence has a faster cooling rate on a fire.

Bangkok Fire Service normally carry AFFF (aqueous film forming foam) on first response trucks. Depending on the type of foam making nozzle used, will determine the type of foam blanket achieved. It will be either low or medium expansion foam (low expansion most commonly used), as shown in 2 reference pictures below.

IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:35 PM, Random8 said:

Personally, I love to see ostentatious displays of wealth go up in flames.  Burn, baby, burn!

Bit jealous are we?

I wouldn’t get too excited. That will buff out in no time.

Removed some bickering posts, including one that did misquote another poster and one where someone told another that they were reporting them, both of which we frown on.

• Please do not misquote others, it's a cowardly debating tactic.
  • If you report someone, stop arguing with them and move on. Moderators are not here to help you fight your battles.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, but none of the pictures in this thread show any evidence that emergency responders used foam, during this fire. The original picture shows a standard firefighting hand controlled water nozzle being used, on a spray/fog setting, rather than a firefighting jet. A spray  pattern produces water droplets, and hence has a faster cooling rate on a fire.

Bangkok Fire Service normally carry AFFF (aqueous film forming foam) on first response trucks. Depending on the type of foam making nozzle used, will determine the type of foam blanket achieved. It will be either low or medium expansion foam (low expansion most commonly used), as shown in 2 reference pictures below.

IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg

Thank you.

I am glad that somebody here has a good idea of what they are talking about, instead of nit picking other posters comments, like the good little grammar nasties that they are.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.

I am glad that somebody here has a good idea of what they are talking about, instead of nit picking other posters comments, like the good little grammar nasties that they are.

Thank you.

I do try to only give a fact and experience based opinion, and then also try to provide basic details to explain, why I reached that conclusion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 1:52 PM, billd766 said:

Thank you.

Thanks and here is further evidence.

This is an example of foam, being used on a fire in Thailand. There is a foam blanket visible.

13.09 on the 7 July at Khru District Office Soi Pracha Uthit 86, Pracha Uthit Road, Thung Khru Subdistrict, Bangkok an electric motorcycle, Thomas EV brand, registration 4 Khor 4503 caught fire.

The entire vehicle was destroyed by the fire, with firefighters using foam to extinguish.The responders believe the cause of the fire was a battery problem.

IMG_3134.jpeg

IMG_3130.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

26 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Thanks and here is further evidence.

This is an example of foam, being used on a fire in Thailand. There is a foam blanket visible.

13.09 on the 7 July at Khru District Office Soi Pracha Uthit 86, Pracha Uthit Road, Thung Khru Subdistrict, Bangkok an electric motorcycle, Thomas EV brand, registration 4 Khor 4503 caught fire.

The entire vehicle was destroyed by the fire, with firefighters using foam to extinguish.The responders believe the cause of the fire was a battery problem.

IMG_3134.jpeg

IMG_3130.jpeg

It has been many decades since I was taught basic firefighting techniques. Nowadays with more and more EVs coming out I thought it was time for some revision. I had/have thought of buying an electric trike in the future.

I did an internet search for EV extinguishant and came up with these.

https://www.i2comply.com/health-safety/best-fire-extinguisher-for-electrical-fires/#:~:text=The most common fire extinguisher,can use on electrical fires.

The most common fire extinguisher types for electrical fires are Carbon Dioxide or Dry Powder. These will both starve a fire of oxygen without giving you an electric shock. There are also two newer extinguishers – Water Mist and Lith-Ex – which you can use on electrical fires.

Don’t confuse water mist with the traditional water fire extinguisher – which would be very dangerous to use on an electrical fire!  

https://www.viking-life.com/articles/firefighting-protection-against-electric-car-fires/#:~:text=Rosenbauer Battery Extinguisher System (BEST)

Full description
The new Rosenbauer extinguishing system for high-voltage batteries in electrically powered cars is a system for safe, efficient and rapid extinguishing in batteries based on lithium-ion technology. 

This enables direct cooling of battery modules or the battery cells inside the modules and thus fast stopping of the chemical reaction in the cells and the consequent heating. 

The system consists of three main components: an extinguishing unit and a control panel, interconnected with hoses.

The extinguishing unit is placed under the battery and, if necessary, fastened to the car with a jack or in another suitable position. The preferred position is on the underside of the car. The control panel controls the extinguishing unit’s extinguishing spear, which penetrates the battery housing at a safe distance.

There is more information in each link.

I can see that both have their advantages. 

The first will probably easier to obtain in Thailand for use at home, and the second would better for dedicated fire crews.

TBH I don't think that enough attention was given in the beginning to the serious problem of EV fires, which are small in number now, but will grow as more EVs appear on the roads in the future. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It has been many decades since I was taught basic firefighting techniques. Nowadays with more and more EVs coming out I thought it was time for some revision. I had/have thought of buying an electric trike in the future.

I did an internet search for EV extinguishant and came up with these.

https://www.i2comply.com/health-safety/best-fire-extinguisher-for-electrical-fires/#:~:text=The most common fire extinguisher,can use on electrical fires.

The most common fire extinguisher types for electrical fires are Carbon Dioxide or Dry Powder. These will both starve a fire of oxygen without giving you an electric shock. There are also two newer extinguishers – Water Mist and Lith-Ex – which you can use on electrical fires.

Don’t confuse water mist with the traditional water fire extinguisher – which would be very dangerous to use on an electrical fire!  

https://www.viking-life.com/articles/firefighting-protection-against-electric-car-fires/#:~:text=Rosenbauer Battery Extinguisher System (BEST)

Full description
The new Rosenbauer extinguishing system for high-voltage batteries in electrically powered cars is a system for safe, efficient and rapid extinguishing in batteries based on lithium-ion technology. 

This enables direct cooling of battery modules or the battery cells inside the modules and thus fast stopping of the chemical reaction in the cells and the consequent heating. 

The system consists of three main components: an extinguishing unit and a control panel, interconnected with hoses.

The extinguishing unit is placed under the battery and, if necessary, fastened to the car with a jack or in another suitable position. The preferred position is on the underside of the car. The control panel controls the extinguishing unit’s extinguishing spear, which penetrates the battery housing at a safe distance.

There is more information in each link.

I can see that both have their advantages. 

The first will probably easier to obtain in Thailand for use at home, and the second would better for dedicated fire crews.

TBH I don't think that enough attention was given in the beginning to the serious problem of EV fires, which are small in number now, but will grow as more EVs appear on the roads in the future. 

Thanks, good relevant information, and it shows that extinguishing systems are always changing and developing, as the fire risks change.

EV fires and electrical fires in building/supply systems are approached differently.

Carbon dioxide, is good indoors and clean, but is not that effective outside, as the gas is dispersed by wind and weather.

Dry powder is effective, but can be very messy indoors and is unpleasant to breathe in a confined area.

The main problem with carbon dioxide and dry powder is it is mostly only found in extinguishers, unless installed in a fixed firefighting system. Extinguishers are good as a first aid firefighting, but the limited usage times, seconds, makes them unsuitable on a developed fire.

Unofficially, firefighters when faced with a fire in a building that has live electricity, there is a need to isolate the supply quickly to extinguish the fire. When access to isolation, is difficult or not possible, it is not unknown for firefighters to use a short pulse, water mist spray, with the hope to blow the electrics and isolate the system that way. Yes it is not recommended, and not always suitable.

Each area, in Thailand, will have different equipment at fire stations, often depending on budgets, with the larger cities and towns, having the better, more modern equipment. In the UK, where I am from, local fire services will have a risk based operational procedures for dealing with EV fires, which is based around the National Operational Guidance as laid out by the National Fire Chief’s Council.

https://nfcc.org.uk/our-services/position-statements/operations-committee/emergency-responders-guide-for-alternatively-fuelled-vehicles/

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1