Where do gays retire (other than Thailand)?

Message added by Juana Tenderloin,

This is the Gay forum with enhanced Forum Rules - Please observe the Code of Conduct for this forum.

7 minutes ago, theblether said:

I was in that general area for four months. When PV was too hot I went to Guadalajara which was cooler due to it's elevation. I loved Guadalajara, between it's historical areas, general topography and being situated near Bar Girl Heaven ( the town of Tequila ) I found it to be a vibrant and excellent place. However, it's not a well-known tourists destination and while I believe there is a substantial gay community there's very few Westerners. 

As this is the gay forum, I think anyone aiming to live around the American Consulate/Chapultepec Avenue area would have a great life and there was a large gay nightclub along from the hotel I used. Living further out would be difficult for anyone. A gay guy I knew in Chiang Mai moved to the burbs and hated it. 

So if PV is too obvious - Guadalajara is my dark horse recommendation. 

I have not been in a while, but Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo was jumping last time I was there, and they were promoting it to American retirees. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, stoner said:

it's also an open forum topic. this is not a safe space. you need to understand many people might not share the same worldview as you do.

you are the one who is viewing the responses as borderline hostile. if you cannot accept peoples responses then don't post a topic where you know you will get those kind of responses. 

Homophobic posts are not allowed on the gay forum.

Now you know. 

If you don't like that complain to management not me.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have not been in a while, but Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo was jumping last time I was there, and they were promoting it to American retirees. 

I spent time in Zihaut with a Filipino sort of boyfriend. The trip ended it ha ha. I hated Ixtapa very tacky tourist trap for dumb gringos. I.don't see the area as appealing to gay retirees but Zihaut is charming to visit.

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

why don't you start a "where do stoners go to retire?" so we can trash your thread?

There would be a good bit of overlap, ha ha.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, stoner said:

i said if you post on the internet you need to expect all kinds of responses. grow up. 

Nothing to smoke tonight. Man that's rough. Hope you can score tomorrow. 

In situations  like this I would go to the ashtray, break open all the roaches and manage to get a spliff...sore throat too but hey...better than being irritable.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Silom near Patpong night market is a massive gay area here in Bangkok. Not sure they retire here though, but just pointing out the gay scene here is huge. 

For sure but your post suggests a theme of Where do.gays retire brand. Nightlife is important to some gay retirees and not at all to others. 

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

why don't you start a "where do stoners go to retire?" so we can trash your thread?

show me a thread that doesn't get thrashed ? smh.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Nothing to smoke tonight. Man that's rough. Hope you can score tomorrow. 

In situations  like this I would go to the ashtray, break open all the roaches and manage to get a spliff...sore throat too but hey...better than being irritable.

ewww. 

people should retire where they feel happy and comfortable. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'd consider PV myself but as is typical for very popular places its become over priced.

move somewhere close to PV and pop in and out.

also, on the east coast, mexico just built an extensive rail system, so it's probably cheap to get around. but not on the PV side. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Now you know. 

who decides what homophobic is ? how do you classify or quantify offence ? you just don't like many of the responses. doesn't mean they are homophobic. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, stoner said:

who decides what homophobic is ? how do you classify or quantify offence ? you just don't like many of the responses. doesn't mean they are homophobic. 

Bait ignored.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

move somewhere close to PV and pop in and out.

also, on the east coast, mexico just built an extensive rail system, so it's probably cheap to get around. but not on the PV side. 

You'd need a car for that.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, theblether said:

I was in that general area for four months. When PV was too hot I went to Guadalajara which was cooler due to it's elevation. I loved Guadalajara, between it's historical areas, general topography and being situated near Bar Girl Heaven ( the town of Tequila ) I found it to be a vibrant and excellent place. However, it's not a well-known tourists destination and while I believe there is a substantial gay community there's very few Westerners. 

As this is the gay forum, I think anyone aiming to live around the American Consulate/Chapultepec Avenue area would have a great life and there was a large gay nightclub along from the hotel I used. Living further out would be difficult for anyone. A gay guy I knew in Chiang Mai moved to the burbs and hated it. 

So if PV is too obvious - Guadalajara is my dark horse recommendation. 

Yes Guadalajara is a great city, hardly any kind of hidden gem "dark horse" as it's Mexico's second city, often referred to as the San Francisco of Mexico. It indeed does have a vibrant gay nightlife scene. I would prefer it over PV for retirement because as you said the weather and also it's a real city as opposed to beach resort tourism driven city so it has it all. When you feel like the beach, you can bus it to PV when you want. Nearby Lake Chapala is incredibly popular with retired gringos. I've been there and found it boring but the Where Do Gays Retire has a podcast promoting it (specifically Ajijic on the lake) which I plan on listening to.

There are other inland great climate colonial cities that I think are the best places in Mexico to retire in general. I'm sure San Miguel de Allende would be gay friendly enough with it's focus on the arts but it's become quite expensive. Queretaro a bigger city seems to be a great choice but I have no information whatsoever on what it would be like to live there as a gay retiree.

Edited by Jingthing

A very on topic video about some specific communities for gay people (in the U.S.) such as lower income buildings. This is a growing trend in gay retirement to help gay people avoid needing to go back into the closet in old age. But there are such places for financial elites and also places like a community in LA that's in the HUD senior housing system. Of course very long waiting lists are to be expected.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Now you know. 

It is disappointing to see these homophobic posts. They shouldn't be allowed on any forum, but especially not the gay forum.

Perhaps the management would consider a closed lgbtq+ sub-forum.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldscool said:

It is disappointing to see these homophobic posts. They shouldn't be allowed on any forum, but especially not the gay forum.

Perhaps the management would consider a closed lgbtq+ sub-forum.

How about gays stay in the gay forums, and non-gays stay in the non-gay forums? 

Would that be divisive enough? 

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Would that be divisive enough?

General topics have general interest regardless of a poster's sexuality, and that doesn't preclude discussions about sexuality or gender in the general forum.

But given the amount of homophobia on the forum it would make a lot of sense to have a closed lgbtq+ subforum. For example a poster recently started a thread about gay hookups in Pattaya, and it was immediately hit by homophobes whose comments had to be removed.

There is a closed subforum for women, quite rightly given the number of misogynistic posts on the main forum. The same is needed for lgbtq+.

It's not a question of divisiveness, It's a question of creating a forum that works for everyone. To imply, as you are doing, that straight threads are bombarded by gay trolls and bigots and therefore straights need a private subforum is obviously not true.

8 minutes ago, oldscool said:

General topics have general interest regardless of a poster's sexuality, and that doesn't preclude discussions about sexuality or gender in the general forum.

But given the amount of homophobia on the forum it would make a lot of sense to have a closed lgbtq+ subforum. For example a poster recently started a thread about gay hookups in Pattaya, and it was immediately hit by homophobes whose comments had to be removed.

There is a closed subforum for women, quite rightly given the number of misogynistic posts on the main forum. The same is needed for lgbtq+.

It's not a question of divisiveness, It's a question of creating a forum that works for everyone. To imply, as you are doing, that straight threads are bombarded by gay trolls and bigots and therefore straights need a private subforum is obviously not true.

How does a forum that only allows gays work for everyone? 

It the question homophobic? 

Posted (edited)

Hecklers and homophobes have hijacked pretty much every topic about LGBT stuff on both this and the

general forum for decades.

The level of ignorance, hostility, and bigotry has made it impossible for the gay forum here to ever have any chance to thrive.

How is this OK?

As far as who posts here obviously it is perfectly fine and welcome for non LGBT people to post on the gay forum if they are Interested in topic and not heckling or posting in a hostile anti LGBT manner.

I know by now it's basically impossible for this to be a thriving gay forum. The hecklers are relentless and they don't stop until they've done the full damage.

I favor a plan where any and every heckling or hostile to LGBT people posts are quickly just deleted along with all replies with no warning and no comment.

But there isn't either the bandwidth or policy to do that.

So the hecklers will win yet again as they always do.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Hecklers and homophobes have hijacked pretty much every topic about LGBT stuff on both this and thr general forum for decades.

The of ignorance, hostile, and bigotry has made it important for the gay forum here to ever thrive.

How is this OK?

As far as who posts here obviously it is perfectly fine and welcome for non LGBT people to post on this forum if they are Interesred in topic and not heckling or posting in a hostile manner.

I know impossible. The hecklers are relentless.

I favor a plan where any heckling or hostile to LGBT people is quicktly just deleted along with all replies.

So the hecklers will win yet again.

Why not see if the site can set it up such that the topics in the gay forum do not appear on the "unread content" page, that would keep most of the people not interested in gay topics from responding. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I favor a plan where any heckling or hostile to LGBT people is quickly just deleted along with all replies.

So the hecklers will win yet again.

Exactly. That's why I suggest a closed subforum, as is the case for the women's subforum. It doesn't require any management overhead, other than creating a new subforum. And it doesn't preclude discussions related to sexuality on the main forum.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why not see if the site can set it up such that the topics in the gay forum do not appear on the "unread content" page, that would keep most of the people not interested in gay topics from responding. 

No.

People sincerely interested wouldn't see the topics either.

You may as well delete the forum.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

People sincerely interested wouldn't see the topics either.

You may as well delete the forum.

If people are sincerely interested, would they not check the subforum? I check the subforums I am interested in. 

The gay forum used to interest me a bit because I have some gay friends and family, but I found most of the posters too thin-skinned and the moderation too heavy handed. 

I usually don't frequent the gay subforums, it's good that this got on the sidebar on the front page,

my question is:
 if the host country don't recognize same-gender union, would they honor the rights of partners/next of kin from your 'home' country 

or does having a valid will solves most of the problem?

or even with a will, there's still case of hospitalizations/incapacity would they let your partner decide if they don't recognize your marriage 

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

I usually don't frequent the gay subforums, it's good that this got on the sidebar on the front page,

my question is:
 if the host country don't recognize same-gender union, would they honor the rights of partners/next of kin from your 'home' country 

or does having a valid will solves most of the problem?

or even with a will, there's still case of hospitalizations/incapacity would they let your partner decide if they don't recognize your marriage 

Unless the plan is to change citizenship it likely would not matter. 

The simplest solution is to create a new closed subforum. This subforum would remain for example for general questions about marriage/inheritance/wills/hospitals or any other gay related topic that people want to post about and contribute to.

This solution requires zero management overhead, in fact it would probably reduce the moderation overhead.