International schools

1FinickyOne

I have a friend who is considering moving to CM with his 10 year old daughter and limited funds. 

What might be the cost for an International School all in with extras etc... I think he found one for $700 US a month - What is the cost for a school like Prem?

I think he can live in town for a reasonable cost but are most of the schools out of town and will require transportation? 

Any and all price info will be appreciated. Including miscellaneous expenses as well. 

Oddly I'm going in the other direction and looking at schools in Bangkok for my 11 year old son. We're primarily sick of the smoke that chokes us 6 month per year and I now struggle to understand why anyone would come to that without damn good reason. My adult daughter has also moved to Bangkok, so we'll reunite the family unit.

Nevertheless, I'm interested to read replies. You will also have school trips to finance, stuff like that, unless the child is to be left out of those.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flummoxed said:

Oddly I'm going in the other direction and looking at schools in Bangkok for my 11 year old son. We're primarily sick of the smoke that chokes us 6 month per year and I now struggle to understand why anyone would come to that without damn good reason. My adult daughter has also moved to Bangkok, so we'll reunite the family unit.

Nevertheless, I'm interested to read replies. You will also have school trips to finance, stuff like that, unless the child is to be left out of those.

bangkok is not much better than CM for smoke. phuket has clean air and everything westeners need. 

i would not move to CM simply due to the PM2.5 situation. will never live in bkk during the smog season again either. 

how much is fresh air worth to you and your family ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flummoxed said:

Thanks, yes, it is the extras like school trips - how much did they run? I have warned about smoke season already... trying to keep this thread on finances but will pass your answer along. He has lived in both Bkk and Phuket... 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

bangkok is not much better than CM for smoke. phuket has clean air and everything westeners need. 

i would not move to CM simply due to the PM2.5 situation. will never live in bkk during the smog season again either. 

how much is fresh air worth to you and your family ? 

he knows about the smoke - he has lived in both Bkk and Phuket - he wants cost of schooling estimates for CM... 

24 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

he knows about the smoke - he has lived in both Bkk and Phuket - he wants cost of schooling estimates for CM... 

then factor in health costs associated with the smoke as well. that's all. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Check Lanna Sarasas school....About 17-19k per term....Our 2 daughters went there & it seems to be the popular choice for families in our MuBaan even though it's a drive from where we live ....

Screenshot_2024-05-29-06-28-44-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Thanks 1

I did a quick google on international school fees in CM - those schools that did not provide their fees there were ones I am already familiar with as my daughter recently completed shools Chiang Mai International.  Her local college fees are cheaper.  Prem is very much more expensive and if one reads about a particular school, then they can contact that school for the fee.  CMIS bought an online

teaching program several years ago so that when the pollution is too bad and the schools are ordered closed, their students don't miss any academics.  They also have renovated the school facilities recently and included among benefits - two air purifiers in all classrooms.  Even if other schools remain open during extremely high pollution reports, CMIS will do online teaching so that their students can remain

in class but in their own home.  There are several great international schools in CM, some are geared towards EU standards and others US standards - be sure to check that a school does have international standards approved to insure students can easily go to college overseas.  Both of my daughters have done highschool in International schools and both are either doing great in college or one is done with that and is working in a very successful job in the US.  The older one went to international schools in Thailand, the PI and graduated in Rome.  They also get a great culture awareness benefit and learn to better accept those that are from different races and nationalities and thus they themselves are better accepted by others.  Not all, as in many IS the local rich also go in preparation for overseas colleges - some are great, others just don't outgrow some bad characteristics.  If one choses to go to a CM school, housing for transportation to the school is a definite investigation too.  Good Luck wherever you choose to send your child/children.

8 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Schools are not shy about telling their fees, why not ask them?

which ones? And also I wanted to know what extra miscellaneous expenses there are as one person pointed out field trips... that is why I was looking for personal accounts. 

11 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Schools are not shy about telling their fees, why not ask them?

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

which ones? And also I wanted to know what extra miscellaneous expenses there are as one person pointed out field trips... that is why I was looking for personal accounts. 

It all boils down to the school colors.  If the colors are red, blue or purple then they are not shy about telling.  They even detail miscellaneous expenses like the cost of sodas and chips at the snack bars.  If their colors are yellow, green or grey then they are very shy and will not tell.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

It all boils down to the school colors.  If the colors are red, blue or purple then they are not shy about telling.  They even detail miscellaneous expenses like the cost of sodas and chips at the snack bars.  If their colors are yellow, green or grey then they are very shy and will not tell.

Seems like you might be onto something. One thing I noted after researching Harrow's Don Muang school, was this on their UK website. As someone that genuinely got his education at the school of 'ard knocks, I was viscerally angry at this. . .

Screenshot_20231206-1945512.thumb.png.bc55373029b2a8b1e96a7b55434e21ec.png

Edited by Flummoxed

Since the OP's friend has a daughter this will not be relevant, but if you have a son, you might want to consider school choice on their Cadet programme availability, if you want to avoid the military lottery.

15 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Home school for the love of god

I don't think he is religious nor would he have the patience. I don't think it is a good idea in his situation. 

Does God love people more so who home school? 

• 3 weeks later...