5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

I'll be interested to know if immigration will want to see the reason (medical/study/work etc.) each time you re-enter using this DTV. I know you have to show a valid reason for granting it on initial application but will they start quizzing you in a couple of years time to see if you still have for example ongoing medcal appointments?

Also will it count as a 'Long Term Visa' to satisfy a bank to open an account?

Andrew.

5 minutes ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

I'll be interested to know if immigration will want to see the reason (medical/study/work etc.) each time you re-enter using this DTV. I know you have to show a valid reason for granting it on initial application but will they start quizzing you in a couple of years time to see if you still have for example ongoing medcal appointments?

Andrew.

I havent been reading the thread.

But this question still hasnt been answered? 

Hi, not sure if anyone can help but I’m trying to apply for a DTV from Australia and stuck on one of the mandatory questions  that the applicant uploads the DTV of the DTV applicant? How do you do this if it’s the first time applying for it? 

I went through the website questions about eligibility for this visa and it’s says I am eligible but this one is puzzling. Have been trying to call the Canberra Embassy and the visa section number on their website but it just goes to a messaging service which no one replies to.

any advice is greatly appreciated 

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. They may issue a lot of these visas. Will they either

a) stop issuing them

b) reduce the 5-year validity to say 1 year

c) make them harder to get

d) make them more expensive

e) have Immigration make entry difficult.

I just can't see it going on for a long time.

Personally, I don't think they will do anything too dramatic that would look like they're admitting that they made a mistake.

I'd imagine that some embassies (especially in poorer countries) will add all kinds of local extra requirements that make them harder to obtain. Getting a DTV in India already seems to be somewhat more difficult than getting the same DTV from the Thai embassy in London.

Immigration could decide to scrutinize DTV holders upon re-entry, which would be in line with what they've done with METV holders who (in their opinion) spent "too much time" in Thailand. Basically ask to see proof that the reason the visa was applied for still exists. It wouldn't surprise me, especially after a few high profile cases of abuse or crimes committed by DTV holders have made the news. We'll see.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Immigration could decide to scrutinize DTV holders upon re-entry, which would be in line with what they've done with METV holders who (in their opinion) spent "too much time" in Thailand. Basically ask to see proof that the reason the visa was applied for still exists. It wouldn't surprise me, especially after a few high profile cases of abuse or crimes committed by DTV holders have made the news. We'll see.

I totally agree with your synopsis.

In the video interview of the MFA spokesperson, he stated for new 180 day entries the original reason for the issuing the DTV would be honoured, although you may well be required to provide evidence that reason still exists. Certainly, for the 180 day extensions, he stated Immigration would request proof of an ongoing reason for the extension.
For remote workers, that could simply be a case of providing their initial documentation.
For those whose reason was for one of the softer options, Muay Thai, cooking classes etc, they are certainly going to have to book other courses in activities, which could be immensely expensive in the long run.
Immigration as always will have the final say and decision on the matter.

1 hour ago, HuaHinHim said:

Hi, not sure if anyone can help but I’m trying to apply for a DTV from Australia and stuck on one of the mandatory questions  that the applicant uploads the DTV of the DTV applicant? How do you do this if it’s the first time applying for it? 

I went through the website questions about eligibility for this visa and it’s says I am eligible but this one is puzzling. Have been trying to call the Canberra Embassy and the visa section number on their website but it just goes to a messaging service which no one replies to.

any advice is greatly appreciated 

In Australia, is it only the Canberra Embassy looking after all visa applications these days or for people in NSW does the Sydney Consulate still looks after this? It seems when trying to apply for a DTV it says to select the Canberra Embassy for all states except for NSW and to select the Sydney Consulate if you are in NSW.

2 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

Are you using the evisa site? If so I do not recall anything close to what you write, what is the exact wording?

I contacted a cooking school in Thailand and got the following response:

Yes, we have many requests from many countries. 

In order to assist you, please provide these details.
1. Which country are you from?
2 How long do you intend to stay in Thailand ? 
3. What is your real purpose of starting?

Official purpose of starting?

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:
3. What is your real purpose of starting?

Sounds like the cooking school is being cautious about who to issue these visas to.

I'm guessing a lot of criminals are applying for these DTV cooking school visas.

If you take cooking classes, you might have some criminals sitting next to you in class. 

21 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Sounds like the cooking school is being cautious about who to issue these visas to.

I'm guessing a lot of criminals are applying for these DTV cooking school visas.

If you take cooking classes, you might have some criminals sitting next to you in class. 

"Criminals" would just use the agent-system to avoid scrutiny - the same as is done for the many other forms of entry/stay they could use before the DTV existed.  

It is only legit applicants who must deal with immigration roadblocks.  They are punished for doing things honestly.  This has been constant for years - only varying by the degree of problems honest-applicants face, for various types of entry/stay. 

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

Immigration could decide to scrutinize DTV holders upon re-entry, which would be in line with what they've done with METV holders who (in their opinion) spent "too much time" in Thailand. Basically ask to see proof that the reason the visa was applied for still exists. It wouldn't surprise me, especially after a few high profile cases of abuse or crimes committed by DTV holders have made the news.

The DTV, like other cases - including the Non-Ed, TVs, METVs and Visa-Exempt - those using the agent-system will not have to deal with any of that. 

But, those mistaking the system as "honest" may have problems, until they learn the real purpose of "the system" - generating brown-envelopes.  Those who learn to navigate the "real world" environment, vs the "how it should be" fantasy, will have a less-stressful experience.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

So cooking class is 50,000 Thai Baht for 10 months.

That's not that cheap.

And I am guessing the DTV will only be valid for 10 months unless you sign up for another cooking class.

Unless this issue has already been addressed in this thread. No time to read it all. 

3 hours ago, farang51 said:

Are you using the evisa site? If so I do not recall anything close to what you write, what is the exact wording?

Straight off the e-visa site as I was applying. DTV visa of DTV holder. 

43 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Only there to cook the books :tongue:

• Haha 2

I just got more info from the cooking school.

This sounds like it can be abused and turn into scams. 

Only 30% of deposit will be returned. But good luck getting even that much back. 

image.png.89ffa81346bd068f268eb0bbe8aa3d59.png

Edited by save the frogs

3 hours ago, gtrinbkk said:

Hope this report helps others applying for the DTV in Vientiane, specifically freelancers.

Applied Sep 6th, 2024. The officer was courteous and professional for the most part.

I do remote work, creating instructional video courses and selling them on my website, but most customers opt to subscribe to my membership giving them access to all courses, and pay monthly or annually for the service, and this kind of business model seemed to confuse the officer a bit.

For evidence of my business I wrote a letter detailing the nature of the remote work with links to my website, on my company letterhead and signed by me. I also printed out several pages from my website showing my online portfolio of courses/membership. 

For the financials I printed out a screenshot of my US bank account showing funds well in excess of the required 500k, this also clearly showed my name and date, same as application day.

For what it listed on the embassy requirements this seemed to check all boxes. 

But the officer wanted to see specifically who my customers are. I kinda anticipated this so I printed out a report of my sales over the last 30 days. This showed amounts, dates and email addresses but NOT names of customers. This created a little headache for him I guess as he kept asking to see customer names.  So if you are a freelancer selling products/services online I suggest you have customer names in whatever document you use as proof.

Fortunately I had a backup...

I also create courses remotely for the biggest name in my industry. I asked them to write me a letter listing all the work I have done for them and that this work is ongoing. I also printed out a screenshot showing the bank deposits from them for this work.  It appears this satisfied the officer more than my own website's proof, even though the sales income from my own website far exceed the income from the other company. 

So if you are asked to provide income amounts it doesn't appear there is a threshold that needs to be met.

It seems the most important thing for freelancers is to show clearly who your customers are, and it appears they may prefer to see work for a known company over your own website etc.

The only other additional documents requested were the last 3 months bank statements. So he allowed me to go out and get those printed. Brought them back, paid the 10k and was on my way. 

I'm due to pick it up tomorrow, assuming all will be fine but you never know until you get it in your hand.

sounds like medical treatment is best choice, no matter what you here for based on reading thru a few pages of what people did.

Any additional fees at teh embassy you went to?

And it sounds like a 7 day turn around time approximately?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

So cooking class is 50,000 Thai Baht for 10 months.

That's not that cheap.

And I am guessing the DTV will only be valid for 10 months unless you sign up for another cooking class.

Unless this issue has already been addressed in this thread. No time to read it all. 

The DTV has a validity period of 5 years from the day it's issued, regardless of your reason to apply for it.

However, it's not inconceivable that you will later be asked for proof that whatever reason you had to apply still exists. By immigration, when you apply for an extension or wish to re-enter.

So let's say you sign up for this 10 months cooking class you've mentioned and get your DTV issued based on this. A few years from now, an immigration officer could ask you what you are doing in Thailand NOW, and your answer would better be in line with what your visa was issued for.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Caldera said:

So let's say you sign up for this 10 months cooking class you've mentioned and get your DTV issued based on this. A few years from now, an immigration officer could ask you what you are doing in Thailand NOW, and your answer would better be in line with what your visa was issued for.

I'm 99% per cent sure you will need to continue renewing these cooking classes or risk getting kicked out.

And at 50K Thai Baht for 10 months, it aint gonna be that cheap. 

And then it's pretty much like the ED Visa, with the ED Visa having the advantage that you don't need to have the required amount in a bank account.

I will compare this option to the ED Visa a bit more carefully, but given this info I've gathered I am inclined to think the ED Visa would be better than DTV for cooking classes. 

Edited by save the frogs

17 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I'm 99% per cent sure you will need to continue renewing these cooking classes or risk getting kicked out.

And at 50K Thai Baht for 10 months, it aint gonna be that cheap. 

And then it's pretty much like the ED Visa, with the ED Visa having the advantage that you don't need to have the required amount in a bank account.

I will compare this option to the ED Visa a bit more carefully, but given this info I've gathered I am inclined to think the ED Visa would be better than DTV for cooking classes. 

You won't get "kicked out" with valid permitted-stay a valid multi-entry visa - but, on your 180-day border-trip, you may need to pay an agent to come back w/o issue.  We will not know until next year how that will work - either at the the historically honest (no agent-service needed) entry-points like Nong Khai, or the historically corrupt entry points.

The ED visa is generally limited to a year of Thai-language (do some still do 2 years?), or Muay Thai, or Self-Defense (available in Chaing Mai).  But, similar agent-business is involved to make the extensions trouble-free - even if you attend classes.  Be sure to inquire at the school on how THEY process your 3-mo extensions for you, any added cost for this, and find another school if they don't.

Edited by Rob Browder
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

Straight off the e-visa site as I was applying. DTV visa of DTV holder. 

It sounds like you are in the application for a dependent DTV. One of the requirements for this is showing the DTV of the primary person that then qualifies the dependent (spouse, child) to qualify for a DTV as well.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. They may issue a lot of these visas. Will they either

a) stop issuing them

b) reduce the 5-year validity to say 1 year

c) make them harder to get

d) make them more expensive

e) have Immigration make entry difficult.

I just can't see it going on for a long time.

I think they are going to be making it harder for people trying to do border bounces and entering multiple times in one year on waivers.  Sounds like they want people who do that to pay for some sort of visa instead.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

Went to 3 branches of SCB (Purple bank) with my DTV.
Only one manager when she saw my copy of yellow book said that they will open account if bring the original YB (which I've lost) + driver license.
One said 6month stamp is not enough, only 1 year
One said only WP is good, or get out of here.

SCB denied to open account on ED visa for me, while Bangkok Krungthai and Krungsri did. So I take it as a success.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BrandonJT said:

It sounds like you are in the application for a dependent DTV. One of the requirements for this is showing the DTV of the primary person that then qualifies the dependent (spouse, child) to qualify for a DTV as well.

@HuaHinHim There are 3 ways to apply for this visa. You have clicked on the wrong section as @BrandonJT has correctly pointed out. You need to change your application to the "workcation" or "soft power" section.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Dart12 said:

sounds like medical treatment is best choice, no matter what you here for based on reading thru a few pages of what people did.

Any additional fees at teh embassy you went to?

And it sounds like a 7 day turn around time approximately?

no additional fees, just the 10k, visa collected 2 days after application... submit monday receive visa wednesday etc

4 hours ago, gtrinbkk said:

no additional fees, just the 10k, visa collected 2 days after application... submit monday receive visa wednesday etc

Thank you for all that.

Last items you may be less likely to have any idea about:

Do you know.... is This is a one time 10,000 fee per 5 years? or annually 10k (both are cheap), but curious.  To me I read it as 10k one time and then 1900 for any re-entry (which is required at least once a year at minimum).

I'm also wondering if I choose medical now if being more nomadic in nature next year will be problematic.

On your visa... does it label you as 'nomad, concert goer, class taker, medical or such? 

or is it once you get it you are simply a "DTV visa holder" and there are no more labels than that?

This sounds better than retirement visa, but we know how they flip flop on these things in 6 months to a year and worry they give you problems in a year for a border run. VS retirement they seem to just leave you alone once you get it.

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

Yes.  You only pay more if you want to do annual "extensions" instead of border-runs.  "Extensions" are 1900 Baht, possible once per-DTV-entry, are valid for 6 months additional permitted-stay - then one must border-bounce.  Additional scrutiny / paperwork may happen when/if applying for an extension.

Some have reported the reason for their DTV was listed.

If one is over 50, I do not see the advantage of the DTV.  Even if one is paying an agent for their retirement-extensions, by the time the border-bounces are factored in, little if any money is saved.  One would also be wise to assume that agent-payments for "no hassle" entry on this visa's border-bounces could be necessary - likely varying by entry-point.

As you say - so far, there are not any hassles reported when entering on a retirement-extension w/ re-entry permit. 

yeah I'm just now becoming eligible for retirement visa...I have to either renew one more time my ED visa and then get retirement...or just do DTV immediately.

At first glance the DTV now looks the better option (on paper) with 10k fee for all 5 years and one extension done each year and one border vacation.

But I can see how new leaders come in and start hating on that Visa and giving issues about "not for living here" after 2 years.  

And yeah, agents haven't really figured out a way to monetize this for themselves yet.  

Although I have had 2 agencies say "if you have problem....we can do you in Laos" for 85,000 plus you cover all airline and hotel and visa fee and such still.  My assumption is this basically is a bank statement help.