Thai Airways Partners with Airbus to Upgrade A320s with Reclining Seats

webfact

image.jpeg

In a significant move towards enhancing passenger comfort, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) has announced a partnership with Airbus to retrofit its fleet of 20 A320ceo aircraft with premium reclining business class seats. This marks Airbus’ first cabin retrofit for a single-aisle fleet in the Asia-Pacific region.

Thai Airways' fleet enhancement follows the recent integration of its former subsidiary, Thai Smile Airways, into the parent company earlier this year. Under the new agreement, Airbus Services will install 12 business class seats on each A320ceo, equipped with backrests reclinable up to 8 inches. The retrofitting work is scheduled to commence by the end of this year.

Once complete, the A320s will sport a two-class configuration, featuring 12 business class and 144 economy seats. This represents a significant upgrade from the previous all-economy setup, which seated between 168 and 174 passengers.

As of April, THAI operates an extensive Airbus fleet, including 20 A320s, three A330-300s, and 20 A350-900s. Chai Eamsiri, THAI's Chief Executive Officer, stated that the acquisition of the A320 aircraft from THAI Smile Airways has strengthened THAI's route network, improved fleet efficiency, and enhanced market competitiveness.

"These aircraft will serve THAI’s domestic and regional operations, aiming to provide seamless and convenient flight connectivity. The retrofit of reclining business seats will offer passengers greater comfort, elevating their travel experience," Eamsiri commented.

The Senior Vice President of Customer Services at Airbus, expressed enthusiasm about the partnership. "This agreement underscores our commitment to enhancing passenger comfort and delivering exceptional travel experiences," she noted. "We look forward to seeing these upgraded A320ceo aircraft take to the skies, offering passengers unparalleled comfort with the new reclining business class seats."

Picture courtesy: Wikipedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

"Under the new agreement, Airbus Services will install 12 business class seats on each A320ceo, equipped with backrests reclinable up to 8 inches."

Pretty underwhelming level of recline and hardly seems worth the extra cost of business seating on these narrow body short hauls.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Business class short hauls on 737, A319, A320 and equivalent are a waste of time really. 

They fly these birds up to 6 hours, what is long haul for you?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

They fly these birds up to 6 hours, what is long haul for you?

I don't fly on them longer than a couple of hours, unless I absolutely have no other option i.e. Sao Paulo to Rio.

BKK-KUL or BKK-SIN are the limits of my endurance on them and even then there are other options on bigger aircraft e.g. Thai Airways whihc means better business class.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Business class short hauls on 737, A319, A320 and equivalent are a waste of time really. 

But not to those who wish to fly under the banner of "you do know who I am status" ?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I don't fly on them longer than a couple of hours, unless I absolutely have no other option i.e. Sao Paulo to Rio.

BKK-KUL or BKK-SIN are the limits of my endurance on them and even then there are other options on bigger aircraft e.g. Thai Airways whihc means better business class.

Had TG slip A320 on a flight that was previously marked as B787 on my last flight to Delhi and back. Wasn't bad. It was Thai Smile plane with lots of space. Previously flew similar plane on China Eastern from Shanghai. The part where business class is just economy class with middle seat left vacant doesn't really fly with me. But seeing what United did on their smaller planes where a real business class was put in there.. TG could copy that instead of reinventing the wheel...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"Under the new agreement, Airbus Services will install 12 business class seats on each A320ceo, equipped with backrests reclinable up to 8 inches."

Pretty underwhelming level of recline and hardly seems worth the extra cost of business seating on these narrow body short hauls.

I think the issue was that TG was taken to task by the government after passengers filed complaints that they had bought business class tickets on these old Thai Smile planes and were only given economy with a blocked middle seat ("Euro-business").

TG was required to post a warning about this on their booking engine, and finally ended up rebranding those seats as "premium economy" rather than business. Refitting the planes in question will allow them to market a short haul business class product once again.

That's just my guess.

Edited by khunjeff
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Just flew TG. Economy seats are terrible.

Is there any airline which has a less than terrible economy seat?