‘Let’s make Britain great again’ Farrage Stuns UK Politics Announces Return For Election

Good grief, even by modern standards this Fartage guy is an especially obnoxious poli-cretin.

More flip-flop, flippity flops than another political scene that comes to mind.

Get back under your rock.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Of course.

Like I said, there is no appetite for it at the moment.

If there was then Labour would propose it. They'd propose selling Granny to Russia if they thought it would get them power.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/45986-46-36-britons-say-there-should-be-another-eu-refer

image.png.81a084ce632a35a63b181c3fbb43fbfb.png

That’s a great example of cherry picking Jonny.

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s a great example of cherry picking Jonny.

If you didn't want polling evidence you shouldn't have asked for it.

Your position appears to be that Labour who are Pro Rejoin have an electorate desperate for a referendum to rejoin yet they refuse to make it part of their manifesto. Are they scared of getting too many votes and too large a majority?

Like many of your arguments, it simply makes no sense. 

If Labour want it, and the electorate want it, why not make it the headline of their manifesto? The Rejoin General Election. They'd walk it, right?

Or maybe they read the same poll that I showed you? 😄

• Like 1

If you didn't want polling evidence you shouldn't have asked for it.

Your position appears to be that Labour who are Pro Rejoin have an electorate desperate for a referendum to rejoin yet they refuse to make it part of their manifesto. Are they scared of getting too many votes and too large a majority?

Like many of your arguments, it simply makes no sense. 

If Labour want it, and the electorate want it, why not make it the headline of their manifesto? The Rejoin General Election. They'd walk it, right?

Or maybe they read the same poll that I showed you? 😄

The polling evidence you provided is only 26% supported having a referendum before the end of 2023 ( which was last year) but have 46 % support a second referendum within the next ten years (now 9 years). 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Reform will not win any seats, well maybe Clacton, but they will get a good proportional vote for sure, maybe more than the Tories.

But, has anyone commenting on here actually looked in detail at Reforms "contract to the people", pretty good I would say if they could pull it off

https://www.reformparty.uk/our-contract-contents

I read it.

It’s full of easy promises of simple solutions to complex problems and has zero detail on how any of their easy promises would be achieved.

Which is fine because Reform will not become the Government and will never have to deliver any of it.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The polling evidence you provided is only 26% supported having a referendum before the end of 2023 ( which was last year) but have 46 % support a second referendum within the next ten years (now 9 years). 

But the election is 6 weeks away.😃

Not 2033.

Let's see how the EU and UK is doing in 2033 and see if people still want a referendum then. As of now, there's no appetite for it as my link showed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Reform will not win any seats, well maybe Clacton, but they will get a good proportional vote for sure, maybe more than the Tories.

This might very well have some unintended consequences.

Relatively large numbers of the electorate voting for Reform but being denied Reform MP’s in Parliament.

It would provide a very good opportunity to enlist this portion of the electorate into the real ‘electoral reform’, to place ‘First Past the Post’ with ‘Proportional Representation’.

Proportional Representation is a very big threat to the Tory Party.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

Not 2033.

Let's see how the EU and UK is doing in 2033 and see if people still want a referendum then. As of now, there's no appetite for it as my link showed.

And 2023 has been and gone.

Do the right thing Jonny, admit you blundered. 

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And 2023 has been and gone.

Do the right thing Jonny, admit you blundered. 

A lame argument. May 2024 has also been and gone. It doesn't mean a poll from May can be ignored. 

2023 is hardly ancient history given that we are still in the first half of 2024. In 2023 they said they don't want one now and they don't want one in the next 5 years. Are you claiming they've all changed their minds? 

Labour certainly don't seem to think it's a vote winner. Otherwise given that they want to rejoin, it would be in their manifesto since it would guarantee a win at the election and re-entry to the EU. Strange then, that they don't have it in there. A real mystery 😃.

• Like 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

A lame argument. May 2024 has also been and gone. It doesn't mean a poll from May can be ignored. 

2023 is hardly ancient history given that we are still in the first half of 2024. In 2023 they said they don't want one now and they don't want one in the next 5 years. Are you claiming they've all changed their minds? 

Labour certainly don't seem to think it's a vote winner. Otherwise given that they want to rejoin, it would be in their manifesto since it would guarantee a win at the election and re-entry to the EU. Strange then, that they don't have it in there. A real mystery 😃.

It’s nevertheless out of date.

As explained above, putting a second referendum on the ballot would be a meaningless gesture and a distraction from rafts of Tory made crisis issues that need urgent attention.

The EU will not consider the UK rejoining until the Tories also agree to a referendum.

The public are getting there, refer polls, the political parties will catch up.

• Haha 1

While not sharing all of Farage's opinions, nor the manner in which he sometimes expresses himself, if he manages to electrify a largely moribund House of Commons, by bringing critical issues into public debate, that would be a worthwhile outcome of him being elected.

The possibility of him dividing electors for this party or that raises the question of whether a first-past-the-post voting system provides a government that is most representative of public opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm afraid I don't have one from 30 minutes ago. If you can find a poll on how many people want a rejoin referendum that is more recent than the one I posted then feel free to share. 

It's not meaningless. If everyone wants to rejoin as you claim, surely it would be the right thing to do. Would be a massive vote winner as well.

You have it back to front. The referendum would precede the negotiations with the EU. The UK is free to have a referendum on whatever they like, we don't need premission from the EU. Terms of rejoining would be discussed with the EU after a vote to Rejoin and until then the EU would not need to be involved. 

I can imagine Von Der Leyen now. "Yeah I know Rejoin won the referendum 70/30, but does Rees-Mogg agree? otherwise we won't open negotiations" 😄

If you have a more recent poll showing the majority want a rejoin referendum, feel free to post it. There's no appetite for it. 

It was you who introduced the ‘poll on a second referendum’ 

Which is once removed from the original point made by RuamRudy: 

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The clear and consistent majority of UK voters disagree with you - as they have done in poll after poll after poll, year after year. Clearly the Brexit benefits that you continuously crow about are not being felt by the rest of the population. 

https://www.whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

image.png.dafd24b655bc4d34f63a1d665945eec1.png

upon which the data is clear and consistent:

https://www.semafor.com/article/06/03/2024/mrna-vaccine-skin-cancer-melanoma-clinical-trial-results

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

If by failure, you mean outperforming France and Germany.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/01/26/even-lacklustre-britain-outperforming-failing-europe/

The EU is failing. We got out at the right time. History will be very kind to Brexit. 

The Scots should be thanking Westminster. 

The article also states that many other EU states e.g. Greece, Ireland, Spain are are outperforming the UK so what would you conclude from that?

The article says little about France, other than it is experiencing social unrest. How can you draw any conclusions about the EU from that? 

The article concentrates on Germany and suggests that it's current relative economic underperformance is due to a) the structure of the German economy b) fiscal policy and c) monetary policy.

Industrial and fiscal policy are clearly the direct responsibility of the German government and not Brussels. While monetary policy is dictated by the ECB, the UK was not part of the Eurozone when we were members of the EU, so in that regard how has leaving benefitted us?

Given the above, where is the justification for your implication that the UK has benefitted economically from leaving the EU? In what ways has the UK not being part of the EU Single Market or Customs Union improved the UK's economic performance?

I have posted numerous links to various reports on numerous occasions suggesting that the opposite is true i.e. that being outside the Single Market and Customs Union has been detrimental to the UK economy. This Telegraph article is an interesting opinion piece but does not support your contention that the UK is economically better off outside of the EU.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Not 2033.

You're right. The survey clearly suggests that there is no appetite for another EU referendum now.

However, the same survey also clearly shows that the overwhelming majority of people think that Brexit has been handled badly, has been of no benefit to the country, was a mistake and would vote to rejoin the EU if there were a referendum.

12 hours ago, bradiston said:

So he's returned from France, to where he moved post Brexit, with his EU passport. What a scxmbag.

He moved to the jungle.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Can a US resident donate to Nigel’s campaign?

Asking for me & mine

The rules are as per link below, but I believe the NRA offer a service to wash overseas contributions into political campaigns.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/political-party-donations-and-loans-great-britain/who-can-you-accept-donations-and-loans

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There is zero point putting rejoining the EU in a Labour Manifesto.

The EU will not negotiate until both major political parties agree to rejoin.

The parties are lagging public opinion, they will eventually catch up.

Well Refom won't argree to rejoin. So, correct, no point.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, pookett said:

Good grief, even by modern standards this Fartage guy is an especially obnoxious poli-cretin.

More flip-flop, flippity flops than another political scene that comes to mind.

Get back under your rock.

No more obnoxious the the rest really and less flipping/flopping than either Sunak or Starmer - his position on the EU was solid for decades.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1