Bangkok woman contracts rare lung infection from feeding pigeons

webfact

2 hours ago, pattjock said:

it's illegal to feed pigeons in Bangkok. 10,000Baht find and/or 3 months in prison.

A lot of things are illegal here but without much if any enforcement they are just more words on paper.

2 hours ago, pattjock said:

it's illegal to feed pigeons in Bangkok. 10,000Baht find and/or 3 months in prison.

Just Bangkok?  it's a HUGE problem in Chiang Mai also.

• Like 1

Chest x-rays every year but did not have any lung health concerns?? 

"was generally healthy, with no history of smoking or chronic illness."

Nah...there's more to this than is provided.

Getting a chest x-ray every year is not routine unless there are lifestyle or health concerns.

( If you have lung issues, stay away from birds, especially aviaries or regular contact with birds. )

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

In Chiang Mai, they encourage feeding and taking photos at Thaepe Gate, which is a disgrace. 

news!!!! go have a look!!!

cops are there enforcing it and it seems to be working!   for about a week now.....ive talked to them each time

2000 bt fine...no seed hawkers....much less birds that want to land on chinese for selfies but they are still trying

of course thai birds wont do much unless you give them something!  🙂    kudos to BIB for trying....much nicer there!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

A lot of things are illegal here but without much if any enforcement they are just more words on paper.

go chat up the cops at TP gate giving out 2000 bt fines....so far so good.....thank buddha! they have a tent set up..as im sure the seed hawkers are nearby waiting to invade again and their cash cow

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

forwards this to chinese tourists and tik tok

If I did they would ignore it. Chinese are very difficult to work with in any way what so ever. Be better if Thailand imposed heavy fines on them.

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

news!!!! go have a look!!!

cops are there enforcing it and it seems to be working!   for about a week now.....ive talked to them each time

2000 bt fine...no seed hawkers....much less birds that want to land on chinese for selfies but they are still trying

of course thai birds wont do much unless you give them something!  🙂    kudos to BIB for trying....much nicer there!!!

WOW - really?  that's amazing news I'll take a look this weekend - thank you

15 minutes ago, Hardcastle P said:

Rats with wings 

All the people living around me have the same thought about pigeons and go to great lengths to discourage them.

What used to be fluctuating numbers have decreased since the number of crows has increased.

Personally I think both are dirty birds but at least the crows don't try to nest in buildings.

• Like 1

If you are feed up with pigeons print out the flyers at the top and give to your local pigeon feeders, local police station and local city hall. Maybe something will change.

Bless em.  Thais always seem to be doing something harmful in the name of "good deeds".  Feed the dangerous soi dogs (with food that rats probably eat most of), feed the disease spreading winged vermin, keep birds suffering in tiny cages and fish in small buckets thinking they'll get good karma by temporarily releasing them. 

I dread to think of the amount of negative karma that these Thais are actually building up.

My cat caught cryptococcosis from habitually walking in pigeon droppings and licking her paws. It ate away half her face, and I had to have her put down. I learned that the fungus is not directly transferable from one animal to another, you need to get the spores from the source to get sick, but the vets were very careful in handling my cat. I wish the best to this woman who caught it; it's nasty stuff.

Nothing rare about that, if exposing yourself to pigeons all the time.  My brother use to race pigeons, they almost killed him, the lung infection that is.  He had to give up the hobby.

Shock surprise, masks didn't work 😲  :cheesy: