Biden Urges Qatari Pressure on Hamas as Israel Signals Readiness to Advance Hostage Deal

image.png

On Monday, President Joe Biden conveyed to Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani that Israel was prepared to move forward with a hostage deal proposal, urging Qatar to exert pressure on Hamas to accept the terms. The White House released a readout of the call, in which Biden "confirmed Israel’s readiness to move forward with the terms that have now been offered to Hamas" and "urged [the emir] to use all appropriate measures to secure Hamas’ acceptance of the deal."

The nature of Biden's statement remains somewhat ambiguous, as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had earlier claimed there were discrepancies between what Biden announced and what Israel's war cabinet had authorized. Netanyahu's remarks have complicated the situation, causing Hamas to seek clarification on the deal's clauses, which had been intentionally left vague to secure initial agreement from both sides.

The urgency of Biden's request to Qatar marks a significant public appeal to Doha, which hosts many of Hamas's political leaders. This follows a previous private request from US Secretary of State Antony Blinken to Qatar's Prime Minister Mohammed Al-Thani, urging the expulsion of Hamas leaders if they continued rejecting hostage deal proposals. Qatar briefly complied but later allowed Hamas leaders to return when negotiations resumed.

The proposed deal entails several stages. The first phase involves the release of female, elderly, and sick hostages taken during Hamas’s October 7 attack, extending over six weeks. Following this, negotiations would address a permanent ceasefire and the release of remaining hostages. The final phase would involve releasing the bodies of hostages and initiating an internationally supported reconstruction plan for Gaza.

During the call, Biden emphasized that the proposed comprehensive ceasefire and hostage release deal represents a concrete roadmap to end the Gaza crisis. He reiterated that Hamas’s refusal to release hostages would only prolong the conflict and deny relief to Gaza's residents. Biden, alongside the US, Egypt, and Qatar, is committed to the full implementation of the agreement, urging that Hamas is the remaining obstacle to achieving a ceasefire and humanitarian relief.

Meanwhile, US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan communicated with a top aide to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, stressing the urgency for Hamas to accept Israel's proposal for an immediate ceasefire as part of the hostage deal. While Turkey does not formally host Hamas leaders, it holds significant influence over the group, with Erdoğan referring to Hamas as “freedom fighters” during the Gaza conflict.

There are signs of cautious optimism from both sides. An official close to the negotiations noted that Hamas leaders have responded "overwhelmingly positively" to the latest Israeli proposal, though formal acceptance is pending. Hamas is expected to send a delegation to Cairo to discuss the deal further, with mediators expressing unprecedented optimism about the chances for an agreement.

In a related development, the foreign ministers of the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, and Egypt released a joint statement supporting Biden's efforts to secure the hostage-ceasefire deal. The Group of Seven (G7) also expressed full endorsement of the Israeli proposal outlined by Biden, advocating for a credible pathway toward peace and a two-state solution.

On the same day, the US introduced a resolution at the United Nations Security Council supporting the latest Israeli hostage release-ceasefire proposal. US Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield called for the Security Council to join in urging the implementation of the deal without delay. The resolution seeks to align with calls for hostages' release, a ceasefire, humanitarian aid to Gaza, and a long-term reconstruction plan for the region.

The Israeli perspective, however, remains complex. Netanyahu has publicly expressed concerns about perceived gaps in the proposal, emphasizing Israel’s war aims of dismantling Hamas’s capabilities, securing the release of all hostages, and eliminating threats from Gaza. His remarks about resuming military operations after the first phase have added to Hamas’s reservations, potentially jeopardizing the deal’s ambiguity necessary for its initial acceptance. To that regard, Biden noted later in his address, “If Hamas fails to fulfill its commitments under the deal, Israel can resume military operations.”

Two clauses in the deal, leaked later on Monday, highlight the delicate balance. Clause 8 and Clause 14 outline the commencement of indirect negotiations and the continuation of ceasefire and aid efforts contingent on ongoing negotiations. These clauses are meant to be vague enough to enable both sides to interpret them as they wish. On the one hand, the wording can be understood to mean that “if the negotiations take longer than six weeks for phase one, the ceasefire will still continue as long as negotiations continue,” as Biden stated in his address on Friday. On the other, Israel can say that if the negotiations continue in a way that is not genuine, then the fighting can resume.

White House Readout of President Biden’s Call with Amir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani of Qatar

Credit: TOS 2024-06-05

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

The nature of Biden's statement remains somewhat ambiguous, as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had earlier claimed there were discrepancies between what Biden announced and what Israel's war cabinet had authorized. Netanyahu's remarks have complicated the situation, causing Hamas to seek clarification on the deal's clauses, which had been intentionally left vague to secure initial agreement from both sides.

Netanyahu's remarks have complicated the situation, causing Hamas to seek clarification on the deal's clauses, which had been intentionally left vague to secure initial agreement from both sides.

You reckon?

Seems to me the "deal" depends too much on trusting Biden and the israelis, and the israelis have been found not to be trusted with their lies about "safe areas". As for Biden, he's a man that has stated he will back israel all the way. He's never even tried to be impartial.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Netanyahu's remarks have complicated the situation, causing Hamas to seek clarification on the deal's clauses, which had been intentionally left vague to secure initial agreement from both sides.

You reckon?

Seems to me the "deal" depends too much on trusting Biden and the israelis, and the israelis have been found not to be trusted with their lies about "safe areas". As for Biden, he's a man that has stated he will back israel all the way. He's never even tried to be impartial.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20240604-hamas-wants-israel-to-commit-to-permanent-ceasefire-full-withdrawal-from-gaza/

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You reckon?

So lets back a terror organisation that firmly puts its people at risk, is happy with the total destruction of every living citizens home and enriches its leaders living outside off Gaza and the West Bank, that has the idea that every death is a win that the world will side with them, that Israel will cease to exist at the stroke of midnight...

How delusional are you?  They want a permanent cease fire but have stated again and again oct 7 will be repeated. 

Before you get stuck into me id like to remind you those people who you seem to have an infinity with have had a number of opportunities to work out a process where they would have a state of there own, yes yes both sides are guilty of many things but its now done, you know...history, the current leadership of Gaza and previous versions of a leadership just dont want to sit down and work it out, there isn't one nation in Europe that has not had its borders rejigged a dozen times, so what so special about these Bedouins?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no affinity with Palestinians, and their future depends on more than my opinion, but I despise bullies that drop 2,000 lb bombs on defenseless women and children.

What about the thousands of rockets that go the other way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

IMHO there will never be a deal or a cease fire whilst Netanyahu and his murderous "war" cabinet remain as politicians in Israel. There is a better chance of a peace settlement with Palestinians and without Hamas.

I doubt that the Hamas leaders will ever give up their freedom and surrender to the ICC or the ICJ. The same applies to Netanyahu, his cabinet and the leaders of the IDF.

Peace and the withdrawal of the IDF from Gaza may be achieved IF the USA, the UK and the EU stop all ALL arms deliveries to Israel, and Iran does the same with Hamas.

Again IMHO it will need a multi-national military army, navy and airforce to enforce it, but they MUST be given the powers to instantly return fire at whoever fires at them. That may work until the body bags start coming home.

Hamas are dead men walking, even if they manage a cease fire with Israel in the near future and hostages are returned and the IDF get out of Gaza somewhere within the population of Gaza or the West Bank will rise up a group that will displace them, as Hamas did to there own kind, PLO etc there will be a night of the long knives.

Netanyahu is a dead man walking too....most of the country wont vote right wing again for a long time...the problem is Hamas and the right wing government of Israel need this war to stay alive...

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And what about the thousands of Palestinian men women, children and babies slaughtered every day, communities smashed and destroyed, infrastructure destroyed, lack of food, water, sanitation, medical supplies, hospitals damaged or destroyed.

Or, as they only affect the Palestinians, doesn't that matter to you?

Why dont you take this concern of yours up with the Hamas leadership, who have shown no regard for the population, they have allowed a war to happen because they refuse to understand the very nature of what murders and kiddnappings on the scale of Oct 7th would bring.

It could have been over in the first few days, hand back the hostages and hand over the killers...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Njoku said:

What about the thousands of rockets that go the other way?

Sooooo, tell me about the air defense capabilities of Hamas, Do they have Iron Dome?

Do you blame Palestinians for fighting back against an illegal blockade and oppressive state any way they can? Would you be happy to live like Gazans?

• Thumbs Up 2

War on Gaza: Why Hamas cannot accept Israel's ceasefire proposal

Contrary to Biden's portrayal of the deal, it does not guarantee an end to the war, nor a full withdrawal of Israeli forces

If anyone owns the daily carnage in Gaza being carried out by an angry and humiliated Israeli army, whose ranks are filled with religious settlers, it is US President Joe Biden.

From the first days after the Hamas attack on 7 October, Biden framed this savage act of collective punishment on 2.3 million Palestinians as a just war.

It was he who led the charge that Israel had the right to defend itself. It was he who sabotaged calls for an immediate ceasefire at the UN Security Council. It was he who replenished Israel’s stocks of smart bombs and missiles.

And it is under his watch that the US turned its back on the two highest courts of international justice.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/war-gaza-why-hamas-cannot-accept-israels-ceasefire-proposal

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooo, tell me about the air defense capabilities of Hamas, Do they have Iron Dome?

Do you blame Palestinians for fighting back against an illegal blockade and oppressive state any way they can? Would you be happy to live like Gazans?

Look buddy there both f.u. c. k. w. i. t. s, tit for tat, the Arabs have the brains of a flea think its 200BC, they haven't worked it out yet, if I send a dozen rockets over the fence this morning 10 jets will pound my compound this afternoon thripple fold, and the other side as a people traumatised for centuries in great need of shrinks, who have a percercution complex.

As per norm pro Palestinians ignore any un provoked attacks shirk around oct 7 and if pressed still do not address directly  but say its from years and years of bla blah, they talk about the 700,000 that left there homes but fail to mention the 900,000 jews in other parts of the Middle East who where lets say encouraged to move on out and away, also loosing land money etc, no its not mentioned, both are guilty of a lot of things, as living like a Gazan well lets look at the aid money shall we? the high life some of there leaders are living, away from the bombs, what did they Hamas invest in for Chris's sake? no I wouldn't want someone like Hamas looking after my welfare, I do blame them Arabs for there predicament there idiots, do you think 40,000 fighters armed with world war 1 technology is going to defeat an easily assembled 1million troops that out side of the US has the most advanced weaponry going? S.h.i.t. for brains, that's what they got, by the way there own kind, Egyptians are blockading them as well....you guys are on a high moral horse only seeing it one way, im not sticking up for the Jews they could do it a lot better too, but when your facing guys with rocks in there heads it doesn't leave you much room to move.

• Haha 1

Obviously they prefer to fight and carry on the bloodshed. Despicable terrorists need to be dealt with never to be able to carry out such atrocities ever again. The rat has spoken and no surprises, their paymasters Iran had already stated that the deal was off.

Report: In response to proposal, Sinwar says Hamas will ‘not surrender its guns’

Hamas leader in the Gaza Strip Yahya Sinwar speaks during a rally marking Al-Quds (Jerusalem) Day, in Gaza City, April 14, 2023. (Mohammed Abed/AFP)
Hamas chief in Gaza Yahya Sinwar reportedly issues a brief response to the latest hostage-truce deal proposal, according to The Wall Street Journal.

“Hamas will not surrender its guns or sign a proposal that asks for that,” the newspaper quotes Sinwar as telling Arab mediators.

Earlier, an Egyptian source told state-linked TV that it had received “positive signs” on the latest deal and was expecting a response in the coming days.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/report-in-response-to-proposal-sinwar-says-hamas-will-not-surrender-its-guns/

3 hours ago, Njoku said:

Look buddy there both f.u. c. k. w. i. t. s, tit for tat, the Arabs have the brains of a flea think its 200BC, they haven't worked it out yet, if I send a dozen rockets over the fence this morning 10 jets will pound my compound this afternoon thripple fold, and the other side as a people traumatised for centuries in great need of shrinks, who have a percercution complex.

As per norm pro Palestinians ignore any un provoked attacks shirk around oct 7 and if pressed still do not address directly  but say its from years and years of bla blah, they talk about the 700,000 that left there homes but fail to mention the 900,000 jews in other parts of the Middle East who where lets say encouraged to move on out and away, also loosing land money etc, no its not mentioned, both are guilty of a lot of things, as living like a Gazan well lets look at the aid money shall we? the high life some of there leaders are living, away from the bombs, what did they Hamas invest in for Chris's sake? no I wouldn't want someone like Hamas looking after my welfare, I do blame them Arabs for there predicament there idiots, do you think 40,000 fighters armed with world war 1 technology is going to defeat an easily assembled 1million troops that out side of the US has the most advanced weaponry going? S.h.i.t. for brains, that's what they got, by the way there own kind, Egyptians are blockading them as well....you guys are on a high moral horse only seeing it one way, im not sticking up for the Jews they could do it a lot better too, but when your facing guys with rocks in there heads it doesn't leave you much room to move.

I gave that a laugh emoji and I'll give you another here.

Congratulations on posting the biggest loads of codswallop I've read on here in a long while, so h.e.r.e. you are

:cheesy:

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Njoku said:

Why dont you take this concern of yours up with the Hamas leadership, who have shown no regard for the population, they have allowed a war to happen because they refuse to understand the very nature of what murders and kiddnappings on the scale of Oct 7th would bring.

It could have been over in the first few days, hand back the hostages and hand over the killers...

That would equally apply to Netanyahu, his criminal Zionist war cabinet and all the generals of the IDF. 

I have not seen anywhere that the Palestinians have ever invaded Israel, stolen Israeli houses and land and formed illegal settlements.

However I do see that happen every day and have done for many years, especially now in Gaza.

South Africa is one country that has taken Israel to the International courts in the Hague and have won their case.

Israel will of course ignore that ruling as they have ignored all the others.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Njoku said:

Perhaps they gave up on being oppressed and decided to do something that the israelis would react to just as they have, so that the rest of the world could no longer ignore israeli oppression and collective punishment. Perhaps they decided that losing thousands of Palestinians was a price worth paying to gain their freedom. I suspect most have been "guests" of the israelis at some time, which would turn any man into a hate filled monster that has little regard for human life, so long as he can kill israelis.

You joker you. IMO all that would happen then is that israel would continue the blockade and oppression, and that every Hamas would be hunted down and killed, along with any "collateral damage".

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/7/2024 at 12:33 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps they gave up on being oppressed and decided to do something that the israelis would react to just as they have, so that the rest of the world could no longer ignore israeli oppression and collective punishment. Perhaps they decided that losing thousands of Palestinians was a price worth paying to gain their freedom. I suspect most have been "guests" of the israelis at some time, which would turn any man into a hate filled monster that has little regard for human life, so long as he can kill israelis.

You joker you. IMO all that would happen then is that israel would continue the blockade and oppression, and that every Hamas would be hunted down and killed, along with any "collateral damage".

As per the norm from Ultra pro Palies, they take no responsibilities for the many mistakes made to secure a homeland, that goes back many years, that blood is less valuable than water, also shows you that most just hate jews, that's the only conclusion we can come to when they dont attack the other wars going on around the planet with the same velocity.

From the news post this morning after the raid that secured the realise of 4 hostages, "Hamas described the operation as a “brutal crime, devoid of the values of civilisation and humanity,” saying the Israeli military “committed a horrific massacre against innocent civilians.” bit of a joke compared to oct 7 hey? These guys are living in a si fi movie where there is this mist and no one can see reality...

Keep living in your sheltered ideologic world there Mr Thaibeachlover, even your name says a lot, go to Australia the worst beach is 10 times better than the best Thai beach, well kata isn't bad and rates....

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Njoku said:

go to Australia the worst beach is 10 times better than the best Thai beach, well kata isn't bad and rates....

How many of those great Oz beaches can I stay in a hut on the edge of the sand at a reasonable price?

Kata :cheesy:. Kata is rubbish.

On 6/7/2024 at 12:15 PM, billd766 said:

That would equally apply to Netanyahu, his criminal Zionist war cabinet and all the generals of the IDF. 

I have not seen anywhere that the Palestinians have ever invaded Israel, stolen Israeli houses and land and formed illegal settlements.

However I do see that happen every day and have done for many years, especially now in Gaza.

South Africa is one country that has taken Israel to the International courts in the Hague and have won their case.

Israel will of course ignore that ruling as they have ignored all the others.

OMG you just shown the Asean community how stupid you are, Palestinians have always taken up arms against Jews, ( it's a little bit hard to invade when you are actually living in the country hey?) There Arab allies who now most dont want a bar of them ie Jordan and Egypt along with Syria and backed by Iran and a few more invaded Israel twice the third time it was imminent so Israel got in first by wiping out the Egyptian airforce followed by the Syrian, act of defence mate when you got half a million troops etc massed on youre borders...but what ever you do dont think to much.

Yep agree Netanyahu is hanging on like grim death, but hey Hamas played into his hands didnt they? Gave him and the right wing Israelis an excuse to flatten Gaza.

Stolen houses? 700,000 Arabs some pushed some told to leave by there leaders because we will be back ...70 ys later.....yep agree that happened but what about the 900,000 jews living in Syria Iraq and several other places including Arab Nth Africa? also ummm encouraged to move on out, leave it all behind, no compensation given around these times did you know of that?

Yep I agree 110% that settler incursions into the west bank is criminal there have not been any in Gaza, the Israelis pulled them all out long ago, but it is war booty, any land taken by conquest remains with you, so legally it can be seen as a grey area in this issue since we are trying to find some middle ground...

As for this rubbery court, and Sth Africa, lets not laugh shall we, that country is run by the black mafia, half the world does not belong to it, which includes most of the main players involved, so hey its not there jurisdiction, press fodder, propaganda to turn against Jews. Mate the world is up in arms because the Jews are involved, if it was someone else you wouldn't read about it after 7 months of war...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How many of those great Oz beaches can I stay in a hut on the edge of the sand at a reasonable price?

Kata :cheesy:. Kata is rubbish.

Well we wouldn't get you to writer for lonely planet if Kata is rubbish would we?

You can stay for free......I did many times, sleep in a van in a tent on the sand, north is tropical, south it gets cold...

On 6/7/2024 at 11:57 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I gave that a laugh emoji and I'll give you another here.

Congratulations on posting the biggest loads of codswallop I've read on here in a long while, so h.e.r.e. you are

:cheesy:

You must be easy to spot, walking around with a bag on thy head.....ho in Australia we call people like you an Ostrich, they are known for sticking their head in a hole so they dont have to deal with issues... 

38 minutes ago, Njoku said:

that's the only conclusion we can come to when they dont attack the other wars going on around the planet with the same velocity.

That makes no sense at all. Who is "they" and what do they have to do with Sudan and Burma?

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Njoku said:

but it is war booty, any land taken by conquest remains with you, so legally it can be seen as a grey area in this issue since we are trying to find some middle ground...

The UN would dispute that.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

That makes no sense at all. Who is "they" and what do they have to do with Sudan and Burma?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The UN would dispute that.

Says you who has no credibility after reading your posts on this current war, pretty much everything you say on the war in Gaza is BULLOCKS...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_conquest

That pretty much puts you back in you're box Thaibeachlover, Conquest and military occupation is the paragraph that you need to read.

Trying to discuss with you is a waste of time, you have a very narrow view of the conflict, see it one way only, it took years to get to this point, I say it one last time there as bad as each other but they cant negotiate with Hamas (because they wont) with an organisation hell bent on eradicating the Jewish race which brings me to the conclusion you dislike Jews and want to see the destruction on there race as do Hamas.

Not forgetting Thai beaches....haha honestly you haven't been anywhere have you?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:15 PM, billd766 said:

The Israelis seem to think it is fair game stealing Palestinians land and houses, and of course it doesn't happen the other way. Did they really expect terrorist groups wouldn't be formed to retaliate this continual oppression?

2 hours ago, Njoku said:

OMG you just shown the Asean community how stupid you are, Palestinians have always taken up arms against Jews, ( it's a little bit hard to invade when you are actually living in the country hey?) There Arab allies who now most dont want a bar of them ie Jordan and Egypt along with Syria and backed by Iran and a few more invaded Israel twice the third time it was imminent so Israel got in first by wiping out the Egyptian airforce followed by the Syrian, act of defence mate when you got half a million troops etc massed on youre borders...but what ever you do dont think to much.

Yep agree Netanyahu is hanging on like grim death, but hey Hamas played into his hands didnt they? Gave him and the right wing Israelis an excuse to flatten Gaza.

Stolen houses? 700,000 Arabs some pushed some told to leave by there leaders because we will be back ...70 ys later.....yep agree that happened but what about the 900,000 jews living in Syria Iraq and several other places including Arab Nth Africa? also ummm encouraged to move on out, leave it all behind, no compensation given around these times did you know of that?

Yep I agree 110% that settler incursions into the west bank is criminal there have not been any in Gaza, the Israelis pulled them all out long ago, but it is war booty, any land taken by conquest remains with you, so legally it can be seen as a grey area in this issue since we are trying to find some middle ground...

As for this rubbery court, and Sth Africa, lets not laugh shall we, that country is run by the black mafia, half the world does not belong to it, which includes most of the main players involved, so hey its not there jurisdiction, press fodder, propaganda to turn against Jews. Mate the world is up in arms because the Jews are involved, if it was someone else you wouldn't read about it after 7 months of war...

Thank you for calling me stupid.

However I think that you are looking in the wrong mirror for stupid

I also think you need to do a lot more research before you post. How much more I have no idea, as I stopped reading after the second line and merely scanned the rest.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for calling me stupid.

However I think that you are looking in the wrong mirror for stupid

I also think you need to do a lot more research before you post. How much more I have no idea, as I stopped reading after the second line and merely scanned the rest.

You wont ever know much if you stopped reading at the second line, like all Pro Palies they stick to a narrow line because there argument doesn't stand up...

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

The Israelis seem to think it is fair game stealing Palestinians land and houses, and of course it doesn't happen the other way. Did they really expect terrorist groups wouldn't be formed to retaliate this continual oppression?

They guy is on your side, this is the extent to what Pro Plates men are on about...they haven't got a good dam clue what's going on....

• Confused 2