Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

12 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Russian IT professionals live here, work from home for Russian companies,  get very good salaries and pay zero tax in Thailand. 

German pensioners live here,  get their pensions tax free from Germany (according to DTA only Thailand can tax them) and pay zero tax in Thailand. They are completely untaxed.

Absentee landlords live here,  pay taxes for rentals not here (where they live) but abroad because of a more favorable tax regime there (e.g. can deduct renovation cost).  

Many Westerners fall under the threshold where they have to pay taxes in their home countries, often pretending they are still living there. These thresholds are quite high in the West because the minimum income needed  to exist there is high.  But they live in Thailand,  enjoying the low minimum needed to exist. They don't see that accordingly the minimum threshold to pay taxes is low.

I know people living on 20-30,000 baht.  Told to be careful about Thai taxes the answer is "I fall under the threshold in my home country" (which they haven't seen for decades).

In my home country,  dividends and interest are tax-free for non-residents.

In theory,  one should include them in a Thai tax return. 

These are just some examples that come to mind immediately. 

I am all for taxing these people.

But not me, please!

Good points. 

I believe that if you filed a tax return in your country on income earned there then no taxes should be paid here. Should poor individuals be taxed here that fall under the tax threshold in their home country? I don't think so and  it is chasing peanuts.  The new tax laws are IMO chasing the offenders that aren't filing tax returns in any country (Thais and expats). 

It is a guessing game at this point but in the end whatever might be implemented will be manageable.  Not saying there won't be issues but in the end(hopefully before my end) it won't impact expats that file returns in their home country.  My "opinion" is based on the system that has been in place for decades and decades throughout the world that is now looking at the means to taxing freeloaders.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I will try to follow these tax threads and glean what i can but at this point there is not much to be gained.  Not saying the threads are not needed!

I like to plan ahead and be prepared for anything that I see coming.  That's just me. 

It might fall through the cracks or it might not be as bad as it seems but then again, I want to be prepared and be proactive (not reactive).  

I guess my biggest fear is that they will make it retroactive to 2024 in which case many will get caught out.  

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I like to plan ahead and be prepared for anything that I see coming.  That's just me. 

It might fall through the cracks or it might not be as bad as it seems but then again, I want to be prepared and be proactive (not reactive).  

I guess my biggest fear is that they will make it retroactive to 2024 in which case many will get caught out.  

I too want to be prepared but this thread hasn't helped as of yet in the least.  Maybe more info will come out in the future on this thread or others of the same type.  Cheers!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Have you been living it a cave fore the past 20 years or what?

Maybe many years ago expats were welcomed in Thailand but for at least the last 20 years they have just been tolerated at best...

I cant recall a single policy or program that was designed to make expats life better ever...

Checking in with immigration every 90 days like criminals....Being called dirty farang.....Double pricing seems just fine with the government....God forbid if you wanted a marriage visa and the hell you had to go through to get that...Ever tightening and more complicated visa rules......bla bla bla  need I go on?

It been a looong time since expats felt welcomed...

Don't expect me to fall for your aggressive response. However, I regularly travel back and forth between my condo in Najomtien and my wife's house in the area around Buri Ram, and no, I would not describe these places as you did.

With the absence of a bonafide retirement visa, the Thai government has always tolerated and accepted me as a Non-Immigrant and that is all I ever expected. I'm sorry it took you 20 years to realize that you're not loved by the Thai government.

Well, policies with respect to Non-Immigrant visas/issues do exist. With the exception of LTR, obviously programs for retirees do not. Most retired individuals are ignorant to the simple fact that Thailand is not a retirement destination per se.

In my experience there have not been any tightening visa rules and calling these rules complicated is just plain wrong. And name calling in newspapers or double pricing is and was never an issue for me.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

There's nothing to update in the tax guide because nothing has changed.  

Everyone on this thread is getting all worked up over an off-hand comment that is not anywhere close to becoming a rule, a regulation, an accepted practice, or a law.  

(IIRC, Mike Lister is taking a two week holiday.)  

I didn't think that the recent remittance issue is covered in the tax guide - I'd better revisit and read again.

Yes, I know - I am especially disappointed by the comments made by a couple of posters who have completely lost their heads. They previously commented on the tax issues in a more balanced and reasonable manner.

Thanks for advising about Mike's absence.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, atpeace said:

I'm not trying to be a dkhead.  I just want some answers. I don't want to pay additional taxes on top of what I have already paid in the USA but as of yet don't sense I will and hence the lack of concern.

The USA and many other countries require "retired" tax residents that aren't citizens to file.  Most these individuals get little in return other than being able to use the infrastructure in such country.  There are many globe trotters not paying taxes and being funded by those that do.  Interesting times and a global tax is interesting but IMO not going to be a reality for many years.

Do you think individuals living in Thailand that have income and don't include this income on tax returns submitted in their home country should be taxed here?

depends as many may have low pensions or social security that is not "assessable" for taxes in their home country but as the Thai tax tables are different, these pensioners or SSl recipients will possibly be taxed here in Thailand unless they are protected by a well stated DTA concerning their income.  Hopefully very few will be affected.

• Agree 1

I guess some that are eligible for these taxes may remit to their partner to get around it but she then may be liable for the lost revenue or the partner when it surfaces later through a papertrail.

I bet it gets repealed like everything else in LoS as unworkable.

3 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Landlords (at least in the USA) get to deduct or write off many things on their taxes i.e. their property tax, utilities paid, depreciation of the rental, interest on the mortgage, fire insurance, flood insurance, hurricane insurance, repairs, maintenance costs, landscaping or yard maintenance, management fees etc.

If the Thai RD only sees and taxes your rental "income" and disallows your expenses (mentioned above) either by law or by way of making the burden of proof too onerous then this will be a big deal for some of us.

only chance might be providing tax filings with the Revenue Department but don't really have any idea what will be affected if this latest change  becomes fact.

3 hours ago, beammeup said:

Your stance is not popular because they are your opinions

...but extremely well thought out opinions -- which is the best we can go with, until further clarification from the govt.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

...but extremely well thought out opinions -- which is the best we can go with, until further clarification from the govt.

Speaking of which, does anyyone know what MFP's stance is on these new tax changes? For that matter, are these changes even acceptable to Pheu Thai's reluctant partners (the army, Royalist Elites)?

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Any income from overseas can be hidden in family business front organizations or shell corporations for effectively zero tax.

Then when cash is needed they just borrow tax-free from the corporate entity.

14 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

you couldn't get any lower, could you

Sure I could. I don't think that was low at all. I acknowledge his effort but it was at times misleading and inaccurate.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

So if Thailand were to tax the foreign income of non-residents (i.e. people with non immigrant visas, which is most of us), this would be pretty unusual.

Don't confuse non immigrants with non residents, at least for tax purposes. All DTAs spell out how to define who's a resident for tax purposes. For us expats, that's being here over 180 days, cumulative, in a tax year.

• Agree 1