Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

I don't understand. She claims 60% expenses while true cost is 25%?

Is that not tax fraud?

Also she obviously doesn't make 1 million, that is her gross income.

For self employed people the RD offers two options.  Either you accept a standard deduction for expenses, depending on the type of business, e.g. driving a taxi depending on its age might be 70% or you do submit audited accounts and use your actual costs.  This is practical for most who wouldn't be able to cope with getting audited accounts done. Some business, like renting out property might not do well with a standard deduction as it doesn't allow you to deduct periodic, large maintenance or renovation costs which can be amortized, if audited accounts are submitted. When businesses get over a certain size, the tax bill can be reduced by incorporating as tax rates are lower for companies.

4 hours ago, hrrecruiter said:

I'm in an almost identical situation. 

- Elite Visa 20y

- Property in TH

- Aiming at Bali (much easier VISAS than TH, multiple entries)

I went to Bali to do some recce and it should work fine actually, planning on maintaining 2 houses (BKK & CANGGU)

Just waiting until the RD pull the trigger and reinforce the global taxes, I may pay the 1st year with fines and I will put the plan to work. The extra costs of housing + flights, gets offset by the taxes, and you dont need to deal with the accounting & filling

guess hangout together over there, similar plans lol

2 hours ago, jaideedave said:

"the government hospital charging 250,000 for the last 24 hours before you died'

I'm trying to avoid that happening.I gave my Dr the signed DNR forms to place in my file.

I'm a 73 yo C survivor with a 14 yo quad bypass. I'd just hate to see my wife's inheritance stolen by some greedy hospital and my last day/s.   

Never heard of this, could somebody please explain, thanks.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, JackGats said:

The 80k USD are foreign yearly passive income, declared or not. The Thais are not interested in if and where your foreign yearly passive income has been taxed. They only want some official proof your have been earning that money. It just happens that most of the time (though not always) the proof consists in a tax return.

That is very good to know, thanks. The official LTR website only mentions filed tax returns as accepted proof. I always tend to take everything too literally.

12 hours ago, Presnock said:

For the LTR only 40K is needed and if one has no investments but has bought a condo, that can be used as the investment needed with the 40K.  Just saying,

For people over 50, that is indeed so. For "Global Citizens," apparently not...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think I am just going to start using a US credit card for most everything I can. If I do that, I can go years without having to bring any money into Thailand. 

I used to do this when I was working in Thailand and getting paid into my US account. 

That’s easy to do, so long as you have active US credit cards, an active U.S. bank, and can use the credit cards in Thailand.  Maybe paying rent would be a challenge, but you could probably find a way to pay for just about everything else with a credit card, especially if you mostly get your food from a grocery store that accepts credit cards.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jas007 said:

That’s easy to do, so long as you have active US credit cards, an active U.S. bank, and can use the credit cards in Thailand.  Maybe paying rent would be a challenge, but you could probably find a way to pay for just about everything else with a credit card, especially if you mostly get your food from a grocery store that accepts credit cards.

Most everyplace that takes cards takes US cards. I think even most of the stored value apps like Lazada and whatnot. The only rent I am paying is for my kid's university apartment, and that should be done in a year or so.

I used to use the US cards almost exclusively before I retired without difficulty. You have to make sure you have a "no fees for foreign transactions" card, and you have to make sure the vendor charges you in baht. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Not the US

Well that is incorrect - my taxes for my US Pension based on the 1099R I get that is used for the 1040 goes from 1 Jan to 31 Dec each year.  As for tax resident that might be different as Thailand is any 180 days in country.  Thel US, I am a citizen so I am always a tax resident for the US.  The DTA is a treaty and can just be dropped immediately as countries are required to provide 6 months I believe notice that they will cancel the treaty - or maybe re-write it and also, the other taxation program from everything we hear has just begun the talking stage so those even talking about it might not be in the next government here that could change anytime.  Good luck though on tax situation.

21 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

The current law doesn't say that! The current tax law requires the taxpayer to assess their income to determine what is tax assessable income and what is not. Merely remitting funds to Thailand is not the sole  basis for taxation, the remittance must comprise assessible income. 

The current law also does not say that tax paid can be deducted against income due. The tax law states that some funds are assessible and some are exempt, the law also says that dual tax agreements (DTA's) will specific which country has the primary taxation rights to certain types of income and is a secondary taxation right exists. 

I suggest you read the following and come back to us with questions:

Thank you so much, and thank you for the amount of work you've put into making this document.  Wow, I was really misinformed.  

Just to make sure I understand this: 

Any money that is brought into Thailand during 2024 that was earned before January 1, 2024, will be "managed by the previous interpretation of the rules", which means that it will not be taxed, since it was earned in a different year.  Only income earned beginning January 1, 2024, can possibly be considered assessable income for money brought into Thailand from January 1 forward.

So, if I bring money into Thailand in 2024, I must determine whether any part of it is assessable income or not.  In the case of money that is part principal and part gains or interest, only the portion of the money that is INCOME (either capital gains or interest) would be assessable, not the principal.  And so, in net effect, any money that I had on January 1, 2024, if brought it into Thailand, would not be assessable income.  Of course, if I earned any interest or capital gains on that money during 2024, and it was part of the money brought in, that portion of the money brought in would be assessable.  

Did I get that correct?

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

That's broadly our understanding at present, although we cannot be certain how the TRD may interpret these things and operationalise them practically speaking. It looks increasingly likely that all of this will be a "suck it and see" type operation (that's of Hershey's origin rather than anything vulgar)where many of us sit back and watch to see what happens as returns are filed and the results reported on the forum and elsewhere.

Mike and Co. there is an interesting article in todays local newspaper concerning possible future tax program plus some comments to that also in google along with the article stressing basically what the expats have been saying about this possible ur probable future tax program on expats

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Mike and Co. there is an interesting article in todays local newspaper concerning possible future tax program plus some comments to that also in google along with the article stressing basically what the expats have been saying about this possible ur probable future tax program on expats

Are you talking about the article in the Bangkok Post,  dated June 24?

16 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

There's an opinion piece this morning which is very similar

I found a  piece in the business section,  which is rather descrptive, about how taxation used to work before 2024, how now, and how would worldwide taxation work. It's from today. 

That's the one?