Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

24 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

You don't have to pay any taxes and you can get free everything is the USA, just walk over the border and demand your entitlements.

yeah in the daily US youtube news they have an article on the Squatters' and how the lawyers are helping the Squatters to win in court cases - based on a law of centuries ago!  Amazing to say the least that owners in many cases have to pay big bucks for other lawyers to fight it out!  When you have open borders this is just one of the negative results in my opinion.

• Agree 2

Just now, Presnock said:

yeah in the daily US youtube news they have an article on the Squatters' and how the lawyers are helping the Squatters to win in court cases - based on a law of centuries ago!  Amazing to say the least that owners in many cases have to pay big bucks for other lawyers to fight it out!  When you have open borders this is just one of the negative results in my opinion.

Which is why owning rental property in the US scares me, I sold my house when I went back in April, sick of the costs and headaches. May buy again in the future, but for now I'll just stay on the sidelines.

8 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Which is why owning rental property in the US scares me, I sold my house when I went back in April, sick of the costs and headaches. May buy again in the future, but for now I'll just stay on the sidelines.

yes, on the squatters thing - many states have already changed their laws to prohibit this type of activity - Fla, and Ga and maybe more.

16 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I think a few farang deadbeats have tried this squatter thing in Thailand.....As I recall they were more or less picked up by the scruff of their neck and their azz was thrown in the street...

• Haha 2

Just now, RSD1 said:

I see. Above is your attempt to trick me to educate you. Mind you I will only allow it to happen once. So enjoy the free ride this time:  

Several countries provide free or nearly free healthcare to tax residents, often funded through taxation. Here are some of the notable ones:

1. **United Kingdom**: The National Health Service (NHS) provides healthcare that is free at the point of use for all residents.
2. **Canada**: Healthcare is publicly funded through the Canadian Health Act, with each province managing its own healthcare system.
3. **Australia**: Medicare provides access to free or subsidized healthcare services for residents.
4. **Germany**: Germany has a universal healthcare system funded by a combination of statutory health insurance and private health insurance.
5. **France**: The French healthcare system, known for its high quality, is funded by a mix of taxation and compulsory health insurance contributions.
6. **Sweden**: Sweden offers a comprehensive healthcare system funded by taxes, providing services that are either free or require a small fee.
7. **Norway**: Healthcare is funded through taxation and is available to all residents, with minimal out-of-pocket expenses.
8. **Denmark**: Danish residents receive healthcare services free of charge, funded by taxes.
9. **Italy**: The Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale) provides healthcare that is free at the point of service.
10. **Spain**: Spain has a universal healthcare system funded through taxes, providing free healthcare to residents.
11. **New Zealand**: Publicly funded healthcare is available for residents, with services provided by the state.
12. **Japan**: Japan’s healthcare system is funded through a combination of government funding and compulsory health insurance, ensuring residents have access to healthcare services.
13. **Finland**: Finland offers comprehensive healthcare services funded by taxes, with minimal fees for residents.
14. **Portugal**: The Portuguese National Health Service provides healthcare that is mostly free at the point of use, funded by taxes.

These countries have systems designed to ensure that residents receive healthcare without direct charges at the point of service, supported by various forms of taxation and mandatory health insurance schemes.

NOT AT ALL!.  I read the intial exchange, I myself went to google to see just how easy it was - and then put out the call for anyone desiring to know which countries...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

Are you talking about the article in the Bangkok Post,  dated June 24?

googled BP this morning and clicked on latest - so prob the same  - it did say that the discussions, it appeared that DTA's would remain at this time, nothing about LTR being dropped or changed..but TIT and even the free wallet now on hold.  Anything or nothing could happen but at least, we did see something... maybe after tomorrow.  good luck to all, happy travels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSD1 said:

These countries have systems designed to ensure that residents receive healthcare without direct charges at the point of service, supported by various forms of taxation and mandatory health insurance schemes

"Mandatory health insurance" - that's the point.

Countries from your list like (in your order) Germany,  France,  Spain,  Portugal or many others like Switzerland, Austria,  or, closer to home,  Taiwan,  have free healthcare if you pay their mandatory health insurance. 

It's not enough to be a tax resident. 

We all know how popular (among farang) the Thai government's idea of mandatory health insurance for foreigners was.

52 minutes ago, Presnock said:

yes, the rates are for TAX RESIDENTS but we hear that many Thais don't pay taxes - that I have no knowledge on nor do I care BUT, not you don't get any benefits other than that of paying what the Thai Revenue Department thinks is your fair share!  However, currently we know very very little about this new possible tax program but it does appear to possibly be a death knell for many expats  - some who have not been paying taxes to any country, some who will be hit by double taxed and have to file for reimbursement, extra paperwork for all who remain but for some maybe no change whatsoever and we will not know the extent of said program until most likelyl sometime NEXT year if it even moves forward which it seems to be doing as the govt is screaming for all their folks to find baht for the coffers.l  good luck

and remember - until we get a final word NOTHING you read here from any of us might ever happen or be fact.

OK cheers that's the problem with Thailand they're always moving the goal posts and why I only rent property now.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

"Mandatory health insurance" - that's the point.

Countries from your list like (in your order) Germany,  France,  Spain,  Portugal or many others like Switzerland, Austria,  or, closer to home,  Taiwan,  have free healthcare if you pay their mandatory health insurance. 

It's not enough to be a tax resident. 

We all know how popular (among farang) the Thai government's idea of mandatory health insurance for foreigners was.

1 minute ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

OK cheers that's the problem with Thailand they're always moving the goal posts and why I only rent property now.

Especially happy about the insurances for visas made the Thai insurers very happy as well as rich

5 hours ago, RSD1 said:

Many developed countries give healthcare to tax residents. Go look it up. Not my job to educate you. 

Some do some don't but at the least in most countries tax residents are treated equally and they pay the same prices without discrimination.
Hopefully the price discriminations will stop when we pay taxes.

Edited by DirtyHarry55
  • Haha 2

well for those who have read this morning's report on this, it seems to me to indicate that are are proposing an amendment to the existing tax laws.  That would seem to be easier than writing up a separate bill requiring probably different and more difficult wording for the govt to get it passed.   But, it sure seems like they are going to go the tax ALL income starting next year unless there is a different govt that doesn't want many expats to leave.  But the bottom line for all of the expats is - WHO HAS THAT CRYSTAL BALL TELLING US WHAT WILL BE NEXT AND WHEN?  Just have to wait for the next report.  Reading the comments from the two articles, expats have expressed some really harsh words and seem like many will be leaving unless that is just faked bravery in the face of the TRD.  Let's hope cooler heads prevail and they think twice before acting on the proposed amendment.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Is there a link on this report, or is it the BP?

It isn't a "report" it's a Bangkok Post "Explainer" article that basically breaks down the proposal in simple terms.  

The only thing "new" that I saw was that the CRS information that everyone around here seems so certain is the "game changer" only provides - according to the article - investment related information.  It does not encompass all financial related matters pertaining to individuals.  For example, it apparently doesn't provide information on individual wages or salary.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Presnock said:

googled BP this morning and clicked on latest - so prob the same  - it did say that the discussions, it appeared that DTA's would remain at this time, nothing about LTR being dropped or changed..but TIT and even the free wallet now on hold.  Anything or nothing could happen but at least, we did see something... maybe after tomorrow.  good luck to all, happy travels.

says published 27 June 2024 at top of article

17 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

It isn't a "report" it's a Bangkok Post "Explainer" article that basically breaks down the proposal in simple terms.  

The only thing "new" that I saw was that the CRS information that everyone around here seems so certain is the "game changer" only provides - according to the article - investment related information.  It does not encompass all financial related matters pertaining to individuals.  For example, it apparently doesn't provide information on individual wages or salary.  

while a rehash, it does say that they want to amend the tax law on the the world wide income bit....Nothing really except that the talking continues...did say that they would honor the DTA's...