How far in advance can I extend 5 years driving license / 1 year car compulsory insurance

AFAIK, 3 months advance for licence and 1 month for tax (you said insurance but beleive you meant the tax/registration sticker). Anyone with different experience please advise.

Posted (edited)

No idea for licence, but it's three months for tax and compulsory third party for a bike.

I did mine in March before coming home to the UK for summer - it was due to expire in June.

Edited by London Lowf

6 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've heard numerous times it's best to wait until a motor vehicle license is expired before renewing.

i think that still applies for the 5 year licence, which will then be to the next birthday so more than 5 years

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i think that still applies for the 5 year licence, which will then be to the next birthday so more than 5 years

🤔 you mean if I was born in Dec. and renew my DL in Jan I will get 6 years ? 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Although some suggest renewing the driver's licence after their birthday, what are the legal ramifications of being involved in a motor vehicle accident with an expired licence?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/7/2024 at 3:45 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

I've heard numerous times it's best to wait until a motor vehicle license is expired before renewing.

Depends if you then have an accident with no licence, and hence no insurance.

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 8:13 AM, JimHuaHin said:

Although some suggest renewing the driver's licence after their birthday, what are the legal ramifications of being involved in a motor vehicle accident with an expired licence?

For the cautious: go first work day after expiry (sober from your birthday party) and use some transport to get to the office or have someone with a license drive you in your car (best option).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1