Two bikers killed in tragic Phetchaburi accident

14 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

How can you fall of a big bike? You are holding the driver I suppose,or were they playing as I see them often do? Speeding, watching eachother, telephone..... Maybe better get some sense, a decent education before riding a bike

You can fall off quite easily if it's a sports bike like this R7. Perched up a lot higher than the rider, on a saddle smaller than an iPad with your legs tucked underneath you.

Add in a rider who is accelerating, braking and turning hard and it's pretty precarious up there. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You can fall off quite easily if it's a sports bike like this R7. Perched up a lot higher than the rider, on a saddle smaller than an iPad with your legs tucked underneath you.

Add in a rider who is accelerating, braking and turning hard and it's pretty precarious up there. 

I agree 100%.  Probably why you will never find me on the back of the bike. 

Riding one.... Absolutely.  If I ever go out with the missus on the back I'm well aware she is there and tone it down accordingly. 

I've been on the backs of bikes and involved in 2 non injury accidents.  That was enough to not trust anyone with my life again.  Thanks but no thanks is my reply if anyone offers to give me a ride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Take a chill pill...  or what it is to pull yourself back from the edge of wanting to jump into an argument - there is no argument here.

I wasn't contradicting you, rather, adding to the comments, I was agreeing with you, but could also see how others might read your comments slightly differently and press the issue with some disagreement - as some will argue that any vehicle must follow another with the correct stopping distance. 

I have pointed out how it might have been possible to for one of the motorcyclists to end up on front of the truck without giving the truck time to stop.

Correct - usually in these threads when we discuss events and possible causes, where will be a number of posters who come along and state that we know nothing, are guessing, are making assumptions, we weren't there, are we crash-investigators, we are just armchair-detectives (a favourite)....  the point of that last sentence in my post was to 'pre-empt the pointlessness of such comments... to remove the oxygen they may have... 

Nothing against you - so you can retract the neck a little and relax...  have a cuppa !.. 

Already had one. Sorry from me as well, as I might not have understood you real meaning. 🙂 

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

Riding slicks in the rain season

slick tyres are illegal for road use but of course thais can do what they want because law enforcement is zero

not the cause of this tragic accident but could have been

I pay bt10k for one tyre on my bike - that would almost buy 4 car tyres

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

this is why I ride alone unless the other riders know how to group ride, this is tragic

RIP

There is groups led or by foreigners, and only foreigners who is great to ride with, but all the mix groups I have been with, never again

Edited by Hummin
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed the first bike/pillion were at fault but a following truck must have been very close not to avoid the girl.

or brakes or driver not working the best or both, I would bet that most of the trucks on the road here are not road worthy and would fail vehicle tests in the west especially brakes 

2 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Riding in convoy is generally safer for all riders

oh dear, no it isn't unless all are very skilled and know how to ride safely in a group, I would always be at the rear even though I have the fastest bike, very few here are skilled at group riding especially thais

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

How can you fall of a big bike? You are holding the driver I suppose,or were they playing as I see them often do? Speeding, watching eachother, telephone..... Maybe better get some sense, a decent education before riding a bike

23 minutes ago, smedly said:

oh dear, no it isn't unless all are very skilled and know how to ride safely in a group, I would always be at the rear even though I have the fastest bike, very few here are skilled at group riding especially thais

Exactly.... I never ride in a group/convoy unless I know the riders.  And there is a briefing before we head off which covers everything. 

Drivers constantly do not see solo riders.  In a convoy you are more visible to them. 

I have not ridden in a convoy in Thailand due in part, to not knowing enough riders. 

But I understand your points and agree with them.  These young Thai riders are just nuts. 

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why are you saying that? Seems to me this is the bikers fault. First they are not driving safe enough and too quick so one fall off. Another one is attempting a sudden quick break or manoeuvre. Probably driving quicker, but if that happens an a truck only drives in 60-70km/h it will be very hard to stop in time even with 30 meter space between them.

The BP article mentioned the truck driver fled the scene.

22 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The BP article mentioned the truck driver fled the scene.

Yeah, they are known for that. Doesn´t matter if they are right or wrong. It´s the instinct. You will probably find him at his mother house. 😉 

6 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

That's the risk of riding a bike. Much better off buying a car in Thailand.

That is the risk riding a race bike on public roads and without the required skill and safety awareness. 

an R1 with race slicks is all we really need to know about the character riding this bike and likely the group genus riding with.