UPS any recommendations ?

Hello All.

I am looking to get a UPS or some form of back up battery ,power bank etc.

I live in the North East and there are regular power cuts...the last one was for 3 hours.

I wanted to buy something so I can still operate my laptop (old macbook) and maybe a few lights for when the power goes down.

Can anyone recommend anything that can keep the laptop going for a 2-3 hours whilst i am still using it..

Operating the laptop in a restricted use mode is not an option as i am constantly using it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Also , when the power goes down..the home wifi does also.....I live near Nong Khai and the internet has died several times recently for hours... I don't know if changing provider (currently with True) would help...a friend advised 3BB...but I have no idea....

Does anyone know of a way to get around this problem ?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, battersea said:

You could tether your laptop to your mobile phone assuming you have a data package on there.  Not recommended for long term use AIUI, but should be fine until power is restored.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, battersea said:

Can anyone recommend anything that can keep the laptop going for a 2-3 hours whilst i am still using it.

How long will the Mac's own battery keep it going? How about getting a new battery?

APC is the gold standard brand around here for UPS. Lazada sells them.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/apc-ups/?q=apc ups&catalog_redirect_tag=true

For the laptop, assuming your Mac's battery also helps, a lower-end UPS should be adequate, say 700VA. But you can buy larger (much larger) as you also mentioned "lights." For those, USB-powered small LEDs wouldn't use much power. You could have a few USB battery packs around--good for your phone as well, since you'd use your phone as hotspot to keep the internet going. 

I say "should be adequate" 'cause I'm lazy. We have a few members who enjoy power calculations, and one of them will probably be along to come up with real numbers and get you into solar power. The "lights" will figure into it.

Edited by BigStar

UPSs are typically only used to give you time to shut down your system gracefully. They're not for extended use. Sounds like you need a generator. There's some solar ones I've seen advertised in the US but I have no idea how long they would power your stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get a good auto battery. Hook it up to a AC trickle charger. Hook the battery to a 800W 12VDC to 220vac inverter.

When power goes off plug your laptop into the inverter and turn it on.

That's all a UPS does but it adds auto switchover.

At least you have control of all the pieces and can replace them separately.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have owned 8 or 10 UPS devices over the last 15 years, and every single one of them has broken down. I've replaced batteries and they've still been inadequate. It seems unless you're willing to pay a fortune for the top quality units on the market, these devices are nearly worthless. I have given up. 

Just a guess ...   avg lifespan 1year ?

Battery Backups Made In China

Battery backup devices, technically called Uninterruptible Power Supply or UPS, have become more common as people started working from home. Most companies manufacture UPSes solely in China. Only one company seems to make battery backups outside of China.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Just a guess ...   avg lifespan 1year ?

Battery Backups Made In China

Battery backup devices, technically called Uninterruptible Power Supply or UPS, have become more common as people started working from home. Most companies manufacture UPSes solely in China. Only one company seems to make battery backups outside of China.

And unless Chinese products are made by a Japanese, American or foreign company, to their specs, and with their plant managers on the floor, expect a low quality product, like an MG, or nearly any UPS on the market.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/10/2024 at 6:49 PM, BigStar said:

How long will the Mac's own battery keep it going? How about getting a new battery?

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/apc-ups/?q=apc ups&catalog_redirect_tag=true

For the laptop, assuming your Mac's battery also helps, a lower-end UPS should be adequate, say 700VA. But you can buy larger (much larger) as you also mentioned "lights." For those, USB-powered small LEDs wouldn't use much power. You could have a few USB battery packs around--good for your phone as well, since you'd use your phone as hotspot to keep the internet going. 

I say "should be adequate" 'cause I'm lazy. We have a few members who enjoy power calculations, and one of them will probably be along to come up with real numbers and get you into solar power. The "lights" will figure into it.

agree with that. A few weeks ago, when rains started and Power went on/off/on/off/... etc., my Powermatic blew up, APC kept going.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

pwh1500_06895b74-0c38-482b-8201-1d71e5cf

My thought too. Much better than a UPS and will power the houshold lights/lamps, router, laptops, phones etc. (but not AC or water heaters). Many small portable generators available and quiet too.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 2:55 PM, battersea said:

Can anyone recommend anything that can keep the laptop going for a 2-3 hours whilst i am still using it..

usually the laptop battery helps for this

Also , when the power goes down..the home wifi does also.....I live near Nong Khai and the internet has died several times recently for hours... I don't know if changing provider (currently with True) would help...a friend advised 3BB...but I have no idea....

Plug your router into the UPS

On 6/10/2024 at 6:49 PM, BigStar said:

i bought 2 APC UPS as read i needed them for 80+ PSUs
they were absolute pooh, they made my office like an oven as they get very hot hence why they have fans to exhaust their heat
and still when i had a power blip my rigs still turned off but still had power to them
seems there is an issue with UPS or APC UPS when using 80+ platinum PSUs

29 minutes ago, patman30 said:

i bought 2 APC UPS as read i needed them for 80+ PSUs
they were absolute pooh, they made my office like an oven as they get very hot hence why they have fans to exhaust their heat
and still when i had a power blip my rigs still turned off but still had power to them
seems there is an issue with UPS or APC UPS when using 80+ platinum PSUs

how much power do the Platinum PSU's draw  , and how much can the UPS supply for how long ? 
my rather household UPS is rated 550 watt, and as I understand your PSU can draw 750 or more at peak.

Edited by KKra

39 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

My thought too. Much better than a UPS and will power the houshold lights/lamps, router, laptops, phones etc. (but not AC or water heaters). Many small portable generators available and quiet too.

however, in my area power breakdown usually is during rainy days.

15 hours ago, KKra said:

how much power do the Platinum PSU's draw  , and how much can the UPS supply for how long ? 
my rather household UPS is rated 550 watt, and as I understand your PSU can draw 750 or more at peak.

machines are not under any heavy load, drawing 100-200w max
even if they did work, the heat that comes off them make them unsuitable
as i run rigs 24/7, using a UPS was just to save a few minutes downtime, as rigs set to boot up on AC restore anyway
simply not worth it if then needing to run aircon at load 24/7, as i am off grid

On 6/13/2024 at 8:15 AM, patman30 said:

machines are not under any heavy load, drawing 100-200w max
even if they did work, the heat that comes off them make them unsuitable
as i run rigs 24/7, using a UPS was just to save a few minutes downtime, as rigs set to boot up on AC restore anyway
simply not worth it if then needing to run aircon at load 24/7, as i am off grid

Off grid, maybe you can try a heat-pump. that is on my list of things to do when moving outside of town.
on UPS, if you are off grid, might it possibly be easier to have one phase or one mains switch with UPS ?

What you need really is a secondary power source. A UPS will provide power but only for a few minutes to allow you to safely shut the computer down. I cant see any way of providing power for several hours. I think you are stuck with the way it is.

1 hour ago, KKra said:

Off grid, maybe you can try a heat-pump. that is on my list of things to do when moving outside of town.
on UPS, if you are off grid, might it possibly be easier to have one phase or one mains switch with UPS ?

this is Thailand, why on earth would i need a heat pump?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All.

I am looking to get a UPS or some form of back up battery ,power bank etc.

I live in the North East and there are regular power cuts...the last one was for 3 hours.

I wanted to buy something so I can still operate my laptop (old macbook) and maybe a few lights for when the power goes down.

Operating the laptop in a restricted use mode is not an option as i am constantly using it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Use a car battery and an inverter this is what i have being using for years last 3 to 4 hrs

the internet will go off as the exchange does not have battery back up

note i have an inverter for sale send msg on this site if u are intrested

Inverter.jpg