Spitting mad: Russian tourist’s traffic light tantrum in Phuket

snoop1130

31 minutes ago, Denim said:

Thank you. Exactly what I said.

You said that he pulled up to the right of her. Which would be the drivers side. He pulled up to the left of her. Read your post it now doesn't make sense 

Edited by RobU

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

But did she really have to wait?  In no way am I supporting the Russian guy's actions - let's be clear on that. I also don't know how the subject lights function. However I have often come across possibly the same situation at a traffic lights in Pak Chong.  I doubt that Thailand's rules are any different on this but at this particular set of lights, I don't think many Thai drivers know how to handle them. 

There is a right hand turning lane and a 'filter' light controlling it. When the main lights turn to green ALL the red lights go out, including the one on the right filter lane. The green light for that lane though, doesn't come on until the main lights turn red again.  Therefore, even though there is no green filter light, the red light has gone out and providing there is no oncoming traffic, its fine to turn right.  If it wasn't, the filter light would remain red.

Many drivers sit there waiting until the green filter light comes on - despite the fact that there is no oncoming traffic and the filter light is out.

No. There's a red light that won't turn to neutral or so. There is no filter light as you call it  You wait till the light to turn right turns green.

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No. There's a red light that won't turn to neutral or so. There is no filter light as you call it  You wait till the light to turn right turns green.

Are you talking about where this incident took place or in general?  If in general, you are wrong.  As long as the right turn red light has gone, you are free to turn right as long as there is no oncoming traffic.  You do not have priority until the right turn light goes green - that's all. Otherwise the right turn light would stay red.

Call it what you want, right turn, filter whatever.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I just checked the UK rules on this and you can turn without the right hand light being green as long as the main lights are at green - obviously as long as the right turn light isn't red and there's no oncoming traffic.

Whether the Thai rules are any different, I know not but I doubt it. Never seen anything like a Thai Highway Code - does one exist?

17 hours ago, spermwhale said:

that bloke in the photo could not be his lawyer because foreigners are not allowed to practice law in Thailand. They can only serve in an advisory status. They certainly cannot represent them before the court. 

He certainly wasn't appearing in court, he was representing the Russian, in his absence, to acknowledge the charges at the police station.

17 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

A Russian tourist with a Thai lawyer at hand. Got to be a crim. Plus, who's in the picture if he had already left Thailand??????

No, you got it wrong.  Try reading the OP, it is very clearly explained.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:
On 6/10/2024 at 4:13 PM, snoop1130 said:

Police officers identified the foreigner as a Russian man but were unable to summon him because he had already returned to his home country.

Err Just how did they contact him ? Did the cop have him on speed dial ?

Via his lawyer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobU said:

You said that he pulled up to the right of her. Which would be the drivers side. He pulled up to the left of her. Read your pn ost it now doesn't make sense 

No. I repeated what was in the newspaper article which stated he pulled up on the right. Then I said he would have needed long arms to tap on her window. My closing sentence then said the story only made sense if he pulled up on the left not right.

A few posts later another poster agreed. You seem to have misunderstood  my post, which in fact was the first to point out this discrepancy. 

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I just checked the UK rules on this and you can turn without the right hand light being green as long as the main lights are at green - obviously as long as the right turn light isn't red and there's no oncoming traffic.

Whether the Thai rules are any different, I know not but I doubt it. Never seen anything like a Thai Highway Code - does one exist?

Right, UK rules.

You don't know whether a Thai highway code exists but nevertheless feel the need to comment on Thai traffic rules.

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Question is was her right indicator on ? Thais indicating is a rare occurrence. 

That's a reasonable question, but it wouldn't matter one way or the other for this issue. She was stopped in a right turn only lane, apparently. No need to have her indicator on, although it would be nice. Anybody in that lane, stopped and waiting, as was the Thai driver, should have known (if they were paying attention) that lane was a right turn only lane and had its own traffic signal. But even if one wasn't paying attention and was a clueless driver, the foreigner's behavior is inexcusable.

18 hours ago, Umlungu said:

No mechanical issues these days with cars. Either incompetent driving, or, more likely, mobile phone use when the light had already turned green and she hadn't moved.

In general, Thais might be able to move a car, but certainly not drive a car. The evidence is there to see every day, also look at how locals obtain driving licences. So maybe, just maybe, the Russian had a point. That does not excuse his conduct , though. 

A 'little beep on the horn' is the worst suggestion you could make as it might really provoke a Thai driver. Honking is not appreciated in TH.

I'm assuming you read the article, but maybe missed part of the point. The Thai driver was in a right turn only lane that had its own signal. And apparently they were stopped, but the other lanes had a green. The issue seems to be that the foreigner was the clueless one, not the Thai driver. I had only mentioned that IF a driver needed to have their attention brought back to driving and off their phone or just being distracted, a light beep on the horn should suffice. There is absolutely ZERO reason for this foreigner's behavior. Yelling, spitting, and incessant honking is antisocial behavior. I couldn't care less if the foreigner had a point, although according to the article, it would appear that he didn't have a point, but that he was the clueless one.
Not sure where you get the idea that honking is not appreciated in Thailand. My Thai friends give a beep, for safety purposes, VERY VERY frequently. Incredibly more frequently than I've ever experienced in Canada or the US, where it tends to get used by impatient people who can't control themselves more than anything else. At any rate, it's irrelevant in this case since the Thai driver appears to be completely in the right and the foreigner had no reason at all for his foolish antics, other than his own cluelessness and mental state.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

No. I repeated what was in the newspaper article which stated he pulled up on the right. Then I said he would have needed long arms to tap on her window. My closing sentence then said the story only made sense if he pulled up on the left not right.

A few posts later another poster agreed. You seem to have misunderstood  my post, which in fact was the first to point out this discrepancy. 

I apologise, I completely misread your post. You are right 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Via his lawyer.

And how did they know who he was ?

Maybe the Russian, who apparently wants to return to Thailand and has to take responsibility, asked the lawyer to got to the police on his behalf.

On 6/11/2024 at 6:33 AM, Lopburikid said:

A Russian tourist with a Thai lawyer at hand. Got to be a crim. Plus, who's in the picture if he had already left Thailand??????

?

The lawyer - foreign??? Did you read the article?

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Right, UK rules.

You don't know whether a Thai highway code exists but nevertheless feel the need to comment on Thai traffic rules.

As I'm pretty sure there is no difference. If you know otherwise, I'd gladly stand corrected.

38 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

As I'm pretty sure there is no difference. If you know otherwise, I'd gladly stand corrected.

Turning right here has a separate light that stays red until upcoming traffic gets a red light.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Turning right here has a separate light that stays red until upcoming traffic gets a red light.

Not at the lights I mentioned in Pak Chong. I didn't and never would, suggest that anybody goes against a red light.

To re-iterate.  The lights I mentioned in Pak Chong (and I don't think they are disimilar to many others), are on a 3 lane system. 2 lanes for going straight on and the right lane for turning right only.  When the main lights go to green, the red light on the right turning lane goes out - it does not at that stage however, go green until a minute or so later. If I'm at those lights, turning right and there's no oncoming traffic, I go as soon as the red light goes out.  Thai drivers don't move until the light goes green - which is a bit odd as they regularly run red lights, sometimes 10 seconds or so after they've changed.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, smew said:

so you are advocating ass kissing and wait and see where that will get you ................  

he is one of putin trolls residing in Thailand and getting salary for that crap from their “consulate”

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/10/2024 at 7:10 PM, spermwhale said:

What can make someone get so upset that they spit on someone? Really? He's a scumbag and lowlife. He should be barred from entering the kingdom. I'm sure he'll come back to get his punishment! 

And if he had a lawyer in Thailand, it means he's Russian mob. But that bloke in the photo could not be his lawyer because foreigners are not allowed to practice law in Thailand. They can only serve in an advisory status. They certainly cannot represent them before the court. 

The Thai authorities need to do a clean sweep and get rid of the Ruskie mob before they start trying to take control of local police. . 

On 6/10/2024 at 9:42 PM, PJPom said:

He will be back in September !!  Obviously not worried about any penalties or problems with his entry visa. I thought someone said bad guys out  5555.

He must be confident to say he'll be back, maybe along with a brown paper bag. 

On 6/11/2024 at 6:28 AM, Henryford said:

They should refuse him entry into Thailand.

LOL

You're joking right 

On 6/11/2024 at 7:49 AM, ravip said:

the foreign man spat on her and tried to assault her.

Yikes! Spitting? What kind of cretin is that!

Some species of frog's