Thai Prime Minister Calls Off Controversial 300-Baht Tourism Fee

snoop1130

46 minutes ago, Galong said:

Sorry, not any evidence that this was linked to Prayuth. There are plenty of people who could be responsible. 

Sure, and Mussolini made the trains run on time!

You asked for names, I gave you a link, with two names, dates and places. You still say it was nothing to do with Prayuth! He had just staged a long planned coup; nothing political, nothing, happened without a nod from him. They were murdered, in a particularly gruesome way, and it was made sure that their bodies would be discovered - it sent a particularly powerful message to the "established opposition".

What is the saying? Oh yes, there is none so blind as those who will not see!

In all honesty, although I hate these 'extras', if the proposed 300 baht tax had actually been used to cover the hospital bills of the uninsured, that would actually have been a good thing.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if all countries operated such a scheme - its like insurance for all but the numbers involved mean that the cost would be a fraction of individual insurance.

32 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

You still say it was nothing to do with Prayuth! He had just staged a long planned coup; nothing political, nothing, happened without a nod from him.

This is pure speculation. As a court case, you wouldn't have an argument other than "he's the boss, so he's responsible for everything" 🤦‍♂️

So, you're sure he had a "long-planned coup"? This again, would be an assumption or speculation. 

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I know a few very wealthy digital nomads here, one living on Phuket, paying 250,000 a month on rent. 

If it wasn't for the adventurous backpackers of the past, many of the old guys wouldn't be retiring here now. 

I also have been aware of a few very wealthy digital nomads here in Pattaya. Two of them have been murdered in clear view, and one has committed suicide.
The others are just waiting their ordeal. I'm sure you know the difference between digital nomads and online scammers/fraudsters.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Nah, it was scrapped because you don't know how to collect it.

You've got that right.

The government had workgroups and committees trying to get the tourist tax incorporated into the ticket price but there was no way IATA could do it the way the tax was conceived.

Luckily, and this being Thailand surprisingly, they had the good sense not to go for collection of the tax individually and in cash in Thai currency from arriving foreign passengers subject to the tax.

The manner in which the PM announced the abandonment of this scheme is a face-saving way to bow out of it.

11 hours ago, Galong said:

This is pure speculation. As a court case, you wouldn't have an argument other than "he's the boss, so he's responsible for everything" 🤦‍♂️

So, you're sure he had a "long-planned coup"? This again, would be an assumption or speculation. 

He was the "boss". He took over by a military coup, and established himself at the head of a military junta, so yes he was responsible.

Still no point continuing. You asked for evidence, I provided links to a reputable news source stating what happened, you dismiss it. Pointless discussion.

Liverpool Lou uses the word objectively in his weak asinine shot at me.Amazing how quick and illinformed some people are:

For the record this is my third one month stay since November 23. Therefore my assessment is base on a broad observation.

If he is that all knowing he should be able to prove my observation false without repeating TAT numbers .

By the way I have been coming here for over 45 years owned property and business here what is your knowledge base?

On 6/11/2024 at 10:33 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

The economy is in real trouble. 

The 300thb was proposed to be levied on all visitors so they could use it for free medical treatment for tourists.

Those of us who understand Thailand know that would never happen, and it was just another opportunity for graft and self-enrichment. 

Yes you are most likely correct given the nature of the beast but we live in hope that one day Thailand will find a leader that has a vision and is honest! 

1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

Liverpool Lou uses the word objectively in his weak asinine shot at me.Amazing how quick and illinformed some people are:

For the record this is my third one month stay since November 23. Therefore my assessment is base on a broad observation.

If he is that all knowing he should be able to prove my observation false without repeating TAT numbers .

By the way I have been coming here for over 45 years owned property and business here what is your knowledge base?

Oh Liverpool Lou knows it all, just ask him!!!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 5:37 AM, sabai-dee-man said:

Moronic response. I've been a digital nomad for over 15 years, spending 4-6 months a year in Thailand. I spent £12k between the end of December and mid-May, all brought into Thailand from abroad. You sound bitter of a lifestyle you could probably only dream of.

And I have been doing it longer, but have neither considered myself a digital nomad, nor a back packer with a laptop so why would I take offense?

5 hours ago, n00dle said:

And I have been doing it longer, but have neither considered myself a digital nomad, nor a back packer with a laptop so why would I take offense?

I don't think of myself as a "digital nomad", and like yourself, have been working remotely since it was ever even really a thing. I'm not offended, but I am irritated that those who don't have the aptitude to live a freer life, rather than slaving at a 9-5 under supervision and instruction for their working life, generally assume we're all lazy spongers!

Work smart, not hard, has always been my motto. Almost all my friends hate their jobs, and I'd say the majority suffer their job. I genuinely love my job... I'm doing something I wanted to do since I was at school. I learned the skills, and I can do it from anywhere! I've encountered a lot of bitterness over the years, often from employees of companies I've worked with.

On 6/10/2024 at 11:23 PM, DonniePeverley said:

If it would have stopped digital nomads - i mean cheap backpackers with a laptop - coming in then i was all for it. 

It was literally the price of a burger in the west. 

Good I'll put it towards my next overcharged tuk tuk fare.