Creating IRS account with ID.me for verification

Has anyone else created an IRS account using ID.me?  My ID.me account has my Thai address and Thai phone number associated with it. It didn't matter with the My Soc Sec site.

To create an IRS account, I read to go through the ID.me site. I did all of that and am now at the 'wait for a verification' email.  The last time (when I originally signed up for ID.me) the email came quite quickly. This time it's much slower.  How long have you guys waited for your confirmation email previously?

About to say, I initially set up ID.Me in February of 2022 to access IRS. It took me almost a week to get the appointment email and 50 minutes to wait in line for the live interview. Happy to hear it worked out so much more easily for you. People wanting ID.ME probably should use this "off season" to enroll. It sounds faster.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, John Drake said:

About to say, I initially set up ID.Me in February of 2022 to access IRS. It took me almost a week to get the appointment email and 50 minutes to wait in line for the live interview. Happy to hear it worked out so much more easily for you. People wanting ID.ME probably should use this "off season" to enroll. It sounds faster.

My only two experiences have been flawless. I couldn't get the facial scan to accept me, but after several attempts, I just clicked on the video verification. I had to wait about two minutes. 

• Like 1

Only ID.me works with IRS, not Login.gov, so this morning I create an ID.me account.

I used my US passport, SS card and SS-1099 .

Uploading files and video interview included, took less than an hour.

Thai address and phone number are acceptable.

I wasn't able to sign in to my IRS account on my window laptop, facial scan failed.

After I had successfully signed in on my android phone for the first time, I am able to do so on my laptop.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Only ID.me works with IRS, not Login.gov, so this morning I create an ID.me account.

I wasn't able to sign in to my IRS account on my window laptop, facial scan failed.

I did a bunch of facial scans and every time it seemed like it would pass, but then got a message to do it again. I changed the lighting and did everything I could think of and nothing worked. A message to do a video chat came up so I clicked on that. Everything was completed in about a minute. I was able to sign into my IRS account very soon after that.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Thailand J said:

It's useful to have an IRS account. Paying tax is simple, as bank information can be saved. Good bye Direct Pay and EFTPS.

I haven't looked over the entire site. Can you eFile on the IRS site?  TurboTax had a glitch the last two years that made it so I couldn't eFile. I had to mail it by post. 🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, Galong said:

Can you eFile on the IRS site? 

I don't think you can eFile 1040 on IRA account. The only site I can create an account to eFile without a US phone number is OLT.com.

Now that I have an IRS account I don't mind filing 1040 by mail. I will know if something went wrong and if it didn't reach the IRS.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Thumbs Up 1