Kodi boxes

carlyai

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Works well for me, and would work well for most expats. I binned kodi a few years ago, not necessary, but people who don't realise just ask for a kodi box 

Who are these 'most expats'? 😊 Have you conducted a poll with all of the expats in Thailand? 

So far, in this thread alone, more people are using Android boxes and even Mini PC than are using old Smartphones. Perhaps you can reveal your source of information as to what expats are using?

I've been running LibreELEC, which is a minimal Linux with kodi, for 10+ years, currently on a raspberry pi3+ - very happy with the performance when playing torrents I have downloaded.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Who are these 'most expats'? 😊 Have you conducted a poll with all of the expats in Thailand? 

So far, in this thread alone, more people are using Android boxes and even Mini PC than are using old Smartphones. Perhaps you can reveal your source of information as to what expats are using?

simply talking to people it's quite obvious, but still people like you bang on about Kodi, maybe you're one of those shady falang selling boxes. Anyway i have everything i need and it's simple, 6 free tv apps covers it nicely

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

simply talking to people it's quite obvious, but still people like you bang on about Kodi, maybe you're one of those shady falang selling boxes. Anyway i have everything i need and it's simple, 6 free tv apps covers it nicely

Lies and and wholly off-topic. The topic title is 'KODI boxes'. Haven't you noticed? You're in the wrong place 😊 The OP didn't ask about 'free TV apps'. Weird.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Works well for me, and would work well for most expats. I binned kodi a few years ago, not necessary, but people who don't realise just ask for a kodi box 

So now you are insulting the OP? What a poor character you have there.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think you might be referring to IPTV packages. The OP didn't ask about those. Tell us what you know about 'shady falang' selling KODI boxes. I haven't ever heard nor seen such a phenomenon. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

So what are you saying, they install KODI on a Android box? Aren't most boxes supplied with a form of KODI anyway?

I'm beginning to think that you haven't got even the slightest idea...

55 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Just set it up and playing with the new omega version.

The new Omega version self update on my old box and works. 🙂

Impressive.

I'll install some bits and pieces in the next few days and test it.

What specific tests did you have in mind?

I did notice the air mouse is a bit geriactric compared to my other Mii box. Cheap and nasty remotes. But to get lots of Zoomba and Aquaqerobics is the aim.

I looked at the Pelaton bike riding app and seems like you have to pay for every download. Horrible.

Thanks again for your knowledge and input. 🙂

8 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Just set it up and playing with the new omega version.

The new Omega version self update on my old box and works. 🙂

Impressive.

I'll install some bits and pieces in the next few days and test it.

What specific tests did you have in mind?

I did notice the air mouse is a bit geriactric compared to my other Mii box. Cheap and nasty remotes. But to get lots of Zoomba and Aquaqerobics is the aim.

I looked at the Pelaton bike riding app and seems like you have to pay for every download. Horrible.

Thanks again for your knowledge and input. 🙂

You wrote about external drive expansion. What have you tried in that regard? You wrote as if it were not possible.

What "air mouse"? You didn't mention obtaining one.

Edited by NowNow
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You wrote about external drive expansion. What have you tried in that regard? You wrote as if it were not possible.

What "air mouse"? You didn't mention obtaining one.

No no, have not looked at that yet. Sorry haven't considered it yet. 1.  Just thinking of accessing the exercises to play on the TV.

Then

2. How to save the ones we want.

Then

3. How to replay the ones we want.

Sorry if I'm confusing. 🙂

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

I think you might be referring to IPTV packages. The OP didn't ask about those. Tell us what you know about 'shady falang' selling KODI boxes. I haven't ever heard nor seen such a phenomenon. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

So what are you saying, they install KODI on a Android box? Aren't most boxes supplied with a form of KODI anyway?

I'm beginning to think that you haven't got even the slightest idea...

You are arguing with someone who started a thread that he stopped eating baked beans because they were more than 50 baht for a large tin.

Why you think he would ever think about paid iptv packages?

He's the kind of guy that think cheap is good, and cheaper is better

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, carlyai said:

No no, have not looked at that yet. Sorry haven't considered it yet. 1.  Just thinking of accessing the exercises to play on the TV.

Then

Then

Indeed. "I should have waited a bit longer and bought a box that allows external drive expansion." 🙂

2. Depends on where you find them.

3. Installed Media Player will play them, either from the internal storage installed within the box or a drive that you plug in.

On 6/12/2024 at 7:25 AM, Encid said:

I've moved away from Android boxes and gone down the mini PC route instead.

The latest Android boxes provide good support for streaming, but do not support NTFS external drives, only FAT32 formatted drives, which means that media files are limited to 4GB in size.

So if you are like me and have a sizable media library containing 4K and DTS movies (typically 16GB and larger), then a mini PC is the only option due to file size constraints.

A 4K mini PC such as the BMAX B4 Plus Mini PC running Windows 11 with an Intel® Gen 12 CPU with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD will set you back about 7.5 K baht.

It has plenty of USB ports so you can either connect an air mouse (which I have done) or a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse as well as USB drives.

It also has an ethernet port so connectivity is not an issue for streaming media.

Kodi runs super fast on it.

Done the same. 

Went for a Small Form Factor (SFF) PC with half decent specs.  Tiny little thing with a lot of grunt under the hood.  Packs way more punch than an Android box, and gives a lot more options. 

I run Blue Stacks, which is an Android emulator, so have the best of both worlds in the one device. 

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Done the same. 

Went for a Small Form Factor (SFF) PC with half decent specs.  Tiny little thing with a lot of grunt under the hood.  Packs way more punch than an Android box, and gives a lot more options. 

I run Blue Stacks, which is an Android emulator, so have the best of both worlds in the one device. 

Let's hear about those options. We can compare with a 1400 baht Android box.....which will certainly look better next to the TV.

SFF or USFF?

Edited by NowNow

Jeez, reading through some of the replies here - you lot must work for NASA.

I just carry my Android box with me wherever I go in the world - UK, Thailand, Europe. Home or hotel, as long as there's decent wifi and a HDMI connection, I can use it on any TV and watch a zillion TV programmes/movies - no searching for streams etc. - just plug it in and watch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Let's hear about those options. We can compare with a 1400 baht Android box.....which will certainly look better next to the TV.

SFF or USFF?

You get what you pay for. 

If all you want to pay is 1400 baht, that's fine. 

This little PC does the lot for me, Windows, and Android, all in one, and is also a back-up in case my main PC sh*ts itself. 

I have all MS Windows options and all Android options through the emulator, all in a box close to the size of an Android box.

Can you run Windows on your 1400 baht Android box?  No, I didn't think so. 

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Jeez, reading through some of the replies here - you lot must work for NASA.

I just carry my Android box with me wherever I go in the world - UK, Thailand, Europe. Home or hotel, as long as there's decent wifi and a HDMI connection, I can use it on any TV and watch a zillion TV programmes/movies - no searching for streams etc. - just plug it in and watch.

When traveling, I have a laptop and a Google Chromecast.  All bases covered, and the Chromecast is smaller than an Android box.  Can cast to the TV with the laptop or the phone. 

13 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

When traveling, I have a laptop and a Google Chromecast.  All bases covered, and the Chromecast is smaller than an Android box.  Can cast to the TV with the laptop or the phone. 

Right but what are you casting?  Where are your movies/TV coming from?

24 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Right but what are you casting?  Where are your movies/TV coming from?

When traveling, rarely movies or Netflix.  Mostly live sport.  Different set up when at home.   

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

You get what you pay for. 

If all you want to pay is 1400 baht, that's fine. 

This little PC does the lot for me, Windows, and Android, all in one, and is also a back-up in case my main PC sh*ts itself. 

I have all MS Windows options and all Android options through the emulator, all in a box close to the size of an Android box.

Can you run Windows on your 1400 baht Android box?  No, I didn't think so. 

😊 KODI box....remember? What does running Windows have to do with anything?? Did they state the need to run Windows as one of their criteria?? If not, why should they pay more for that??

We are discussing features related to the tasks mentioned by the OP.

Nothing?

Close to the size of an Android box?? So it's not SFF at all. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

When traveling, rarely movies or Netflix.  Mostly live sport.  Different set up when at home.   

So nothing to do with the topic...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, carlyai said:

Then

Then

Without going into technical explanations... You can download/upload your files to a central point(let's call it a server) and then play your files using your 'KODI box', Smartphone, Tablet... anywhere in the world that has a reliable Internet connection. If no Internet connection, then you can download the files from your server beforehand whenever and whereever there is an Internet connection and store them on any and all of the aforementioned devices beforehand. You can do this from anywhere. You don't have to be near the server.

You can have your server in say, Bangkok and stream or download/save from it whilst you are in Chiang Mai or Sydney... or on a smaller scale, from every capable device in your home. No need to shuffle USB storage drives between them.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:25 PM, Encid said:

A 4K mini PC such as the BMAX B4 Plus Mini PC running Windows 11 with an Intel® Gen 12 CPU with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD will set you back about 7.5 K baht

I used a BMax2Pro for about 4 years as a media streaming device and I would hesitate to buy BMax again. First of all, the copy of Windows Pro-10 included with mine was totally corrupted and quite obviously a cloned copy.  I had to get a new copy of Win-10 and do a total reinstall.  Though only a Celeron processor, it did OK as a media streamer until 4K became common but I did have overheating issues frequently. The components are pretty low end. My headphone jack and one pair of USB ports eventually failed.  

I replaced the BMax last year with a Ryzen-7 powered Mini PC (Chinese) so I can now play 4K video.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NowNow said:

KODI box....remember?

KODI is an app, not a piece of hardware, like a box..........remember?

What does running Windows have to do with anything??

I have hardware that can run both.  An Android box can only run Android. 

You do know Kodi can run on Windows, right?

Did they state the need to run Windows as one of their criteria?? If not, why should they pay more for that??

Windows can run Kodi also, so why not mention it. 

As I said, you get what you pay for.  The specs of a SFF PC are higher than a 1400 baht Android box, and offer more options to the user / owner.

We are discussing features related to the tasks mentioned by the OP.

Yeah, and a mini PC can do it all, and better. 

Close to the size of an Android box?? So it's not SFF at all. 

There are many to chose from. 

Here's a random one from Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/t9-intel-plus-n1008gb16gb-ddr5-256512gb1tb-windows-11-pro-hd-mi-i4870913151.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.29.194962b8qg5Qk5

Why don't you post the specs of the 1400 baht android boxes you are selling and we'll compare them?  :smile:

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Did it occur to you I may have Kodi on my Laptop and on my phone? 

Then discuss that. No one asked about anything else. Why should the OP buy three or four PCs instead of much cheaper Android boxes? Convince them.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

As I said, you get what you pay for.  The specs of a SFF PC are higher than a 1400 baht Android box, and offer more options to the user / owner.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/t9-intel-plus-n1008gb16gb-ddr5-256512gb1tb-windows-11-pro-hd-mi-i4870913151.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.29.194962b8qg5Qk5

Why don't you post the specs of the 1400 baht android boxes you are selling and we'll compare them?  :smile:

What a silly post 😊 You want to compare the specifications to an item that is four times the price?? Does that make any sense to you?

Why don't you take go back to take a look at my very first post in this thread where I recommended the ToX4.

The specifications can be found there.

Here again: As an alternative, for your described usage, take a look at a ToX4: https://trustonx.com/product/tox4-4gb-ram-32gb-nand-rockchip-3528-media-player/ Can be obtained for around 1400 baht plus postage. 

Can play all formats at up to a 4k 60Hz resolution. Again why should the OP pay four times the price in order to run Windows when there is no need for Windows in the first place??

Edited by NowNow
  • Love It 1

42 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Personally, I think you are just tying yourself up in knots.

They want a few devices dotted around the home. So is your suggestion that they buy four PCs? 

If they were in the market for a PC, then of course a Mini PC might be a viable option. But to buy a PC costing four times more, just for the tasks described doesn't seem like good advice and even less so when you cannot justify it in terms of performance of those tasks.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

For me its mainly BBC News and Formula 1 when I'm away. WS Pro has them both.  I would never subscribe to the Thai channel that carries F1......can't remember if its Fox or True. What I do remember is them breaking for adverts in the middle of a race - sacriledge! I can find F1 after the event elsewhere but not live. Never been able to get BBC News on anything other than WS Pro. At home (UK) - more or less the same with a few movies and series thrown in.