30,000 Baht Lost Due to Incomplete ATM Deposit in Bangkok

webfact

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Advances in technology in every aspects of people lives left many confused and unsure as how to process and complete

a transaction concerning cash and documents and theres are the results,

I think the bank should go towards the client and help him with some of his losses and re examine their claim that the

sensors will prevent access to the cash once it has been put in the box that it turned out to be incorrect...

Sorry to say, but you complicate it far too much. The only thing he would have needed to know all was ok, was a receipt on his deposit, which the machine ask if you wish to print after transaction done. Receipt is not a new thing, but something we always been using to confirm things. The bank has no obligation as the person who deposit money did not care about any receipt.

3 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

I Agree the Bank could assist their client in some fashion and it would be great PR with little cost.  Not all of the machines are "exactly" the same either, further complicating matters.

Rather then sending the customer to the police, they could take the lead.  They could even consider returning the mans deposit and put pressure on the police to recover the funds. 

We know how, to put it kindly, these types of crimes can slip through the cracks. Hope the customer gets his money back. :jap:

They could help for good PR, but have absolutely no obligation to do that. Moreover, why would they return the deposit, when the person not wait for his receipt of the transaction?

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

30,000 Baht Lost Due to Incomplete ATM Deposit in Bangkok. 

The bank is Wrong .

It's there ATM thus their responsibility that that ATM Works 100%

If the ATM 's  Sensor Failed   to stop Other Costumers from Taking  money out off the Storage bin  than that is the Banks responsibility to rectify that  to protect costumers from losing their money.

Own up Bank , Pay up for your mistake /Non maintenance.

What? The bank is wrong? What CDM, not ATM, is not working? No, the sensor did not fail, because another person came to do a deposit, which led to that the box opened. The ADM worked perfectly, but the man who deposit, did not finish the transaction, nor waited for the possibility to print a receipt. Please do not post wrongful information.

• Confused 2

Happened to me. I was parked illegally and had to rush to move my car. The bank let me review the footage and i could see the lucky guy running out of the bank as fast as he could. This was in canada. Next time either not park in a bus zone, or just let the bus wait.

On a footnote, i parked illegally because there was no parking available anywhere

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Maitdjai said:

They've to maintain 10000s of machines. That would be costing a lot of money.
If that happens to you, you'll never get it back. To get a new one, you've to "dance around" 2 hours at the (only there!) card issuing branch,

with your passport, producing, and signing 31 photocopies (about what they know anyway). Feeling treated like a criminal suspect. 
Creating your new PIN on the employees keyboard (Lol), and pay the fee!
What happens to your old card, you'll never know, but keep good hope.
The TiT banking system is a katastrohpy, like 75% of its staff.

Every bank visit is a long winding, enduring procedure.
If they'd achieve in their performance only 25% of their shown self importance, 
would be a giant progress.
TiT is always eager to jump on evrery technical, or any  bandwagon, but uncapable to deal with it.
Learning by doing, trial and error. In the end the "hub" of paper shoveling prevails.

Ridiculous comment, it's a matter of software, done in a moment.
How do you come up with it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine? What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there?

Hard to fathom that an educated, moral person could write this. Maybe it's a safe assumption to make that you are neither?
Answers to your questions:
1. Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine?  Of course, no. And nobody was suggesting that it is. And nobody suggested that the thieving couple did anything wrong in discovering the money there.
2. What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there?  A normal moral person. A person who is not a thief.

What kind of person would take that money, rather than safeguard it for the person who might even be a poor person for whom that could be a massive amount of money and could cause tremendous hardship for, if it were lost? That kind of person, from what I gather from your comment would apparently include you. It would be an immoral, self-centered piece of trash that has no business being free in society bringing problems, likely everywhere they go. They should be locked up and have their freedom taken away from them, while being educated and taught how they need to behave in society. For a crime like this, I'd give them 3 months in jail with a penalty of restitution to the victim of double what was stolen from him. After the 3 months in jail, a public flogging with advertisement made in the media with his name and what he did. I doubt they would do it again. If they did, double the penalty and so on. If recalcitrant, and continues 4 or 5 times more, put them to death. Simple. Done.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, WDSmart said:

I've never lost money on either a deposit, withdrawal, or transfer in an ATM, but I have lost my card twice. That's a real hassle since, unless the ATM is actually in the bank, and sometimes even then, a private agency has been employed to service the machines, and they just cut up any cards they find. You'll never get them back.

I've managed, on one occasion, to leave money in the ATM although retrieving my card and, on three occasions, to leave my card in the ATM while retrieving my money. Sad. No fool like an old fool..

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sig said:

Hard to fathom that an educated, moral person could write this. Maybe it's a safe assumption to make that you are neither?
Answers to your questions:
1. Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine?  Of course, no. And nobody was suggesting that it is. And nobody suggested that the thieving couple did anything wrong in discovering the money there.
2. What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there?  A normal moral person. A person who is not a thief.

What kind of person would take that money, rather than safeguard it for the person who might even be a poor person for whom that could be a massive amount of money and could cause tremendous hardship for, if it were lost? That kind of person, from what I gather from your comment would apparently include you. It would be an immoral, self-centered piece of trash that has no business being free in society bringing problems, likely everywhere they go. They should be locked up and have their freedom taken away from them, while being educated and taught how they need to behave in society. For a crime like this, I'd give them 3 months in jail with a penalty of restitution to the victim of double what was stolen from him. After the 3 months in jail, a public flogging with advertisement made in the media with his name and what he did. I doubt they would do it again. If they did, double the penalty and so on. If recalcitrant, and continues 4 or 5 times more, put them to death. Simple. Done.

Wow! The Spanish Inquisition would have been proud to have you on their payroll!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Vibora99 said:

Sorry, what crime are you talking about? Nobody committed any crime, the couple did not commit any theft, they just found a gift…

It is a crime known as 'stealing by finding'. They are recorded on CCTV finding the cash, if they do not take the cash to a police station so that the owner can enquire about it they become criminally liable for theft. It is on the statute books of UK, US and Thailand. It is most certainly not a gift

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

Ridiculous comment, it's a matter of software, done in a moment.
How do you come up with it.

Yes sure, ridicilous comment.
You must be one of those "Digital Nomads", making the world go around "in a moment",
they're lookingg desperately for. How it comes, they didn't find you yet?

Still, I wonder, why you're asking yourself the question, why they don't change the software, just "in a moment", then?

"How do I come up", with what? 
I just described some experiences, and gave a possible explaination?
About, how they like to make you dance?
If a bank rolls out the red carpet for you, you'd be happy, to be soo special.
Or, you're  one of those "smart" walking wallets, paying an agenciy, even for a banking matter, or a DL?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

That couple went straight to Sukhumvit for lunch and drinks,  they decided it was their lucky day.

No, this couple belongs to this Rat Pack, as we know it only well in Thailand. Other people’s property doesn’t count:coffee1:

Edited by ujayujay

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

Just read the couple returned the money

that's great news.  

is he a taxi driver ...   and does she work as a cashier in a bank.

Edited by steven100

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Don’t think anything on the machine failed. He failed to push a button. Can’t see what the bank can do to stop that happening

But it said that he put the money in the machines money bin .

I think  that means that the machine didn't functioned properly if it did than no one could take the money out of the machines Money bin The Sensor is suppose to Prevent that.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sorry to say, but you complicate it far too much. The only thing he would have needed to know all was ok, was a receipt on his deposit, which the machine ask if you wish to print after transaction done. Receipt is not a new thing, but something we always been using to confirm things. The bank has no obligation as the person who deposit money did not care about any receipt.

They could help for good PR, but have absolutely no obligation to do that. Moreover, why would they return the deposit, when the person not wait for his receipt of the transaction?

What? The bank is wrong? What CDM, not ATM, is not working? No, the sensor did not fail, because another person came to do a deposit, which led to that the box opened. The ADM worked perfectly, but the man who deposit, did not finish the transaction, nor waited for the possibility to print a receipt. Please do not post wrongful information.

C'mon now,   What Wrong Info ?

If the sensor had worked properly then the money should've  been moved from the bin and the bin would've been Empty for the next costumer  Never mind if the transaction wasn't completed ,Ones the money is in the bin that's it  the sensor must prevent excess to the money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

the couple would have to have used their ATM card to access t.he ATM after the machine closed to count the deposit. their should be a record of this and a CCTV image of the couple. easy to trace for questioning. 

2 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

They've to maintain 10000s of machines. That would be costing a lot of money.
If that happens to you, you'll never get it back. To get a new one, you've to "dance around" 2 hours at the (only there!) card issuing branch,

with your passport, producing, and signing 31 photocopies (about what they know anyway). Feeling treated like a criminal suspect. 
Creating your new PIN on the employees keyboard (Lol), and pay the fee!
What happens to your old card, you'll never know, but keep good hope.
The TiT banking system is a katastrohpy, like 75% of its staff.

Every bank visit is a long winding, enduring procedure.
If they'd achieve in their performance only 25% of their shown self importance, 
would be a giant progress.
TiT is always eager to jump on evrery technical, or any  bandwagon, but uncapable to deal with it.
Learning by doing, trial and error. In the end the "hub" of paper shoveling prevails.

many ATM up here in CM are out of order and not serviced or removed.   i think this is costing the banks too much money to maintain.  more people shopping cashless. 

14 minutes ago, digger70 said:

C'mon now,   What Wrong Info ?

If the sensor had worked properly then the money should've  been moved from the bin and the bin would've been Empty for the next costumer  Never mind if the transaction wasn't completed ,Ones the money is in the bin that's it  the sensor must prevent excess to the money.

Doesn´t matter. The guy did not finish the transaction, and have no receipt of deposited money. his fault. NOT the Bank!

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Wow! The Spanish Inquisition would have been proud to have you on their payroll!

And I guess you'd be fitting to wear a tight brown uniform....

7 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

The only way the bank could help would be if the people who took the money from the machine actually used an ATM debit card there. How could the bank help without some identifier telling them who it is or a worker there that knew the couple?

I once walked away from an ATM leaving my phone on the machine. The bank reviewed transactions there at the time and informed the police which customer used the ATM after me. I was told they only keep video footage for a week from their cameras.  

Also, the man failed to confirm the deposit. How does anyone know if he actually put 30k in the machine? So why would the bank offer to give him the money? 

Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine? What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there? True a police report for theft could be made. But to get the police to actually find and prosecute someone is a different story. 

"What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there?" I wouldn't. That is stealing and I would never steal from ordinary people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What a mixed up post. What is CDM? What is ADM?

• Thanks 1