Renowned Thai school shifts to partial online teaching, 500+ fail test

webfact

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Half failing actually is quite representative of the thai students' abilities. No surprise here.

The question is: Would the results have been better if the traditional methods had been used? And, either way, what would this mean? - motivation? poor preparation before new methods introduced? psychology & sociology of education - face-to-face vs distance learning? ...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

In response, a group of parents and student representatives has submitted a petition demanding changes to the grading system and requesting financial assistance to cover additional home learning expenses, including water, electricity, and internet bills.

I'd have thought any minor additional expense like this would be offset by the savings made from not having to transport their kids to school.

• Agree 1

How in the world can they think it´s possible to leave responsibility of learning upon students that already have problem concentrating in the classroom and taking their lazy arses to school?

One reason might be, god forbid, that the people behind the school got the same half baked education as students.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The school's grading system, which required students to score above 80% to receive a top grade, exacerbated the situation. The focus on exam performance, despite the lack of effective teaching methods, led to disappointing results in key subjects.

Here are the exam outcomes:

- **Thai Language**: 309 students failed, 335 passed.
- **Mathematics**: 264 students failed, 379 passed.
- **Science**: 505 students failed, 139 passed.
- **Social Studies**: 451 students failed, 194 passed.
- **English**: 315 students failed, 330 passed.

80% for a top grade.. so lets say 50-60% for lower grades.. seems achievable if the children studied.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the hybrid model of education for high schools IS very workable … BUT… and it’s a big “but” …. it requires 1) a significant commitment by the parents to support it, 2) relies on the assumption there is adequate tech build out (ie access to reasonable speedy wifi and related tech) and 3) a student body that has the necessary self-motivation and discipline to study in a larger hands-off environment.

I think there are schools where these elements are present and as such, I’d guess hybrid learning is workable..  but… i suspect the vast majority of schools (speaking for public lower level prathom and even upper matthyom level) schools) this just isn’t reality … and that to me outs hybrid learning into a risky scenario. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Online teaching cannot replace class studies with a teacher.

I agree.. I DO think online can SUPPLEMENT a physical presence teacher, but for lower education kids (call me middle school to even high school age) I think they really need that physical “contact” between teachers and students. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, new2here said:

I agree.. I DO think online can SUPPLEMENT a physical presence teacher, but for lower education kids (call me middle school to even high school age) I think they really need that physical “contact” between teachers and students. 

Agreed... 

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I always thought in Thailand nobody fails

it is like that, a close friend who was teaching here told me
they just have to pass everyone regardless
if they do not pass everyone the schools funding is reduced.

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Online teaching cannot replace class studies with a teacher.

exactly, no teacher to just give everyone a pass regardless.

• Like 1

This doesn't really mean anything concerning online learning unless the past pass fail rates are also shown for comparison. Public schools weren't known for high teaching numbers concerning pass fail before. Then again, as a phycological study, you could argue that this reenforces B.F. Skinner's continuation of Pavlov's dogs model, that if the reinforcement is taken away that was used in the behavior modification then after a short period of time the subject will revert to old habits, but without past data it is meaningless.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The school implemented the hybrid teaching system at the beginning of Term 1, blending online and in-person classes. Students were required to prepare for their exams through online resources, with the school aiming to enhance flexibility and self-directed learning. However, this new method quickly revealed its shortcomings.

I think this would fail in most Western schools, let alone Thailand.

Study online during covid was just a long holiday for most Thai students.  Long in to get the attendance then back to sleep.

Crazy that they didn't learn from that and instead tried this.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I get the impression that Thai is actually quite hard even for Thais to learn fully.  They have to learn it not unlike learning a foreign language, even at high school.

I think I remember hearing there is kind of regular conversational Thai, then Thai for formal speaking and writing.  I guess like how legalese works.

I have heard the same.. as i understand it, it’s the formal/classic that evidentially is quite different than that’s modern version that is the hard part.. often my kids say thai class is by far harder than math, sci, bio and all the other usual “it’s hard” subjects 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

- **Mathematics**: 264 students failed, 379 passed.

- **Science**: 505 students failed, 139 passed.

Just looking at these two stats would show to my mind, that the system has indeed shortcomings, but works well at least in some subjects.

Self-learning math can be difficult, still the system has produced good results. One would think, that Science would fare similarly, but it did not, so here I would want to understand what has been the issue here.

Very interesting, that failure rates in Thai and English have been similar where I would have expected a large disparity. This again shows to me, that vocabulary learning must have worked fine (or there would not have so many successes in a foreign language), while grammatics (the obvious thing for native speakers to fail if they are not well prepared) seems to have not led to good results.

In any case, the suspicion of the parents that here a system was tested which has serious issues seems validated just form this alone.

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

So a student that scores 81% gets the same grade as a student that gets 100%?

A student who gets 0% will get the same grade as a student who gets 100%.  The absurdity that is Thai Education and the ridiculous notion that failing an exam is losing face  (in their very warped sense of losing face) So, they can't have anyone failing otherwise that would mean students losing face.   Great way to teach kids about life..... You won't fail at anything.

5 hours ago, patman30 said:

if they do not pass everyone the schools funding is reduced.

no fail policy has been here forever... nothing new. your friend doesnt know what he is talking about. it is a cultural face thing here and not about funding and all the kids and parents here take it for granted. also, most thai and foreign teachers rather than wasting time retesting over and over just fix the books and give the nemrods 50% passing grade