US Senate Urges Thailand to Uphold Democracy Amid Party Dissolution Fears

webfact

On 6/15/2024 at 1:28 AM, webfact said:

APHR noted that should the MFP face dissolution—similar to the Fate of the Future Forward Party in 2019—millions of Thai citizens would be effectively disenfranchised, raising the spectre of potential civil unrest and instability within the country.

Sounds as if the US has a plan.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:59 PM, Karma80 said:

Funny stuff. The country that barely scrapes number 50 in the democracy rankings telling the country at the 130 spot out of 157 countries to be democratic. https://www.idea.int/gsod/2023/countries/

But aside from that, this was all so very predictable and openly orchestrated to weaponise the law to keep those in power in power. And nobody is the least bit shocked.

I guess it beats the usual tanks rolling into Bangkok.

I think the Economist Group's Democracy Index has been the gold standard for rankings when it comes to this matter. What the USA and Thailand have in common is they are both classified as "Flawed Democracies". So I agree with you this is something like "The pot calling the kettle black".                         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Economist_Democracy_Index

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

The problem is career politicians, the sooner we remove that barrier, the better for everyone. Very short term limits should be imposed, and no golden parachutes allowed.

Disagree, in the USA the major problem is $$$ in politics. Lobby groups such as AIPAC control much of the decision-making by American politicians. It takes about $2B to have a legitimate chance of becoming president. That buys a heck of a lot of influence. Extremely biased media also plays a significant role. The institution causing the problems with democracy in Thailand is {censored}..............

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pegman said:

I think the Economist Group's Democracy Index has been the gold standard for rankings when it comes to this matter. What the USA and Thailand have in common is they are both classified as "Flawed Democracies". So I agree with you this is something like "The pot calling the kettle black".                         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Economist_Democracy_Index

The US is at 29. Thailand is at 63. No comparison.

you often see many posters on here championing freedom and democracy and all those fun words and concepts. yet this thread is totally void of all of that. a whos who of champs wont even comment on this issue. 

in a reality where true dictatorship and fascism is happening the silence is deafening. 

7 hours ago, pegman said:

Disagree, in the USA the major problem is $$$ in politics. Lobby groups such as AIPAC control much of the decision-making by American politicians. It takes about $2B to have a legitimate chance of becoming president. That buys a heck of a lot of influence. Extremely biased media also plays a significant role. The institution causing the problems with democracy in Thailand is {censored}..............

You're naive to believe you can stop the money, the best course of action is to stop the career politicians who control the money and never leave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

You're naive to believe you can stop the money, the best course of action is to stop the career politicians who control the money and never leave.

Well I live in a country, Canada, that curtailed the money overnight with signing of a single law so not sure how I'm being naïve. Unless you are saying that the whole political system in the USA is so corrupt it would be naïve to expect better. on that you might be correct

On 6/18/2024 at 2:44 AM, stoner said:

you often see many posters on here championing freedom and democracy and all those fun words and concepts. yet this thread is totally void of all of that. a whos who of champs wont even comment on this issue. 

in a reality where true dictatorship and fascism is happening the silence is deafening. 

It's called living in denial. Believing all that the main stream media feed to the public. 

52 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

It's called living in denial. Believing all that the main stream media feed to the public. 

It's called living in a world of conspiracy theories. Believing all main stream media is dodgy.