New COVID Sub-variant KP.2 on the Rise in Thailand

webfact

This is the latest research I've seen on the real-world effectiveness of the current XBB variant COVID vaccines -- not absolute protection by any means, but a lot better than doing nothing.

The percentages below refer to the amounts of reduced risk that being vaccinated with the current XBB-variant vaccines (mostly Pfizer, some Moderna) provided against being hospitalized, dying, etc. vs. those who didn't receive them.

The research below also divided its overall vaccine effectiveness data into two cohorts -- those vaccinated before late Oct. 2023 when the XBB variant was still dominant, and those vaccinated later when the current, more vaccine evasive JN.1 family of variants emerged.

"Data appeared to point to lower effectiveness against infection, hospitalization, and death after the arrival of the JN.1 subvariant, the dominant strain in the U.S. through the end of March of this year.

Effectiveness against hospitalization in those vaccinated during the period before JN.1 was 73.7% after week 8 and 59.1% after week 10, while effectiveness against death was 86.2% at week 4 and 72.9% at week 8 during this period.

Among those vaccinated after the JN.1 variant became dominant, effectiveness against hospitalization was 60.1% after week 4 and effectiveness against death was 59.8% after week 4, and both steadily decreased over time. [the hospitalization VE number at week 9, the last week tracked, was 40.3%]"

MedPage Today

Screenshot_18.jpg.8c08ed89f5607fba9cdc1c7ff24c3848.jpg
"We collected individual-level data on the uptake of the three XBB.1.5 vaccines and the incidence of Covid-19 between September 11, 2023, and February 21, 2024, in a cohort of approximately 1.8 million persons by linking records from the Nebraska Electronic Disease Surveillance System and the Nebraska State Immunization Information System (NESIIS).
In the cohort, 218,250 persons (11.9%) received XBB.1.5 vaccines, of whom 133,403 (61.1%) received the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine and 84,307 (38.6%) received the Moderna vaccine.
Overall, the XBB.1.5 vaccines were effective against omicron subvariants, although less so against JN.1. The effectiveness was greater against hospitalization and death than against infection, and it waned moderately from its peak over time."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My wife, myself,  grandaughter are in day4 <5 of confirmed covid.

At 72 and despite a slight  degree of  copd I am doing as well as my wife and grandaughter  with almost no ongoing symptoms.

This my third  bout.

First time pre vaccine was like a lingering influenza  but not too debilitating.

Second time post  vaccine was like a short duration mild flu.

This time like a common cold but with  slight fever for two days.

More nasal issues than previous almost like rhinitis.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

So no real difference to a cold or flu?

(apart from those cheap plastic 'test' things)

We all have different experiences.

My first time comprised a cough and nothing else, the nurse at a local hospital recognised the type of cough and suggested I get tested, which turned out to be positive for covid. No fever, no nothing, just a cough.

The second time was much much worse. Extreme fatigue, temperature to 39 degrees, sore throat, constant headache......48 hours on anti inflammatories saw the worst of it over and done.

18 hours ago, stoner said:

its a good thing the post you replied to was talking about deaths. 

Many ignore those who survived but struggle for years with long covid. It's not just about deaths.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

Cough 'covid' & flu 'covid'.

Apologies for my scepticism but very little if any of the establishment covid narrative makes sense.

Especially if you get your information from social media and not scientific or medical sources.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

We all have different experiences.

My first time comprised a cough and nothing else, the nurse at a local hospital recognised the type of cough and suggested I get tested, which turned out to be positive for covid. No fever, no nothing, just a cough.

The second time was much much worse. Extreme fatigue, temperature to 39 degrees, sore throat, constant headache......48 hours on anti inflammatories saw the worst of it over and done.

As far as I can understand, the differences between the severity of cases numbers one and two was determined by the viral load. On the first occasion I had minimal exposure to the virus. On the second I was trapped inside my car for twelve hours, driving from Rayong to Chiang Mai with a sick wife who was coughing constantly. Her contamination preceded mine by two days, ultimately we both ended up getting quite sick.

8 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Most have either had vaccines or gotten covid by now. Not as many deaths, but people are still dying. Currently.

And just how many are dying? As I said the chances of dying from Omicron, whatever variant, is very, very, very slim indeed. If a person is immunocompromised for example then the risk increases but for the majority Omicron in a non-severe viral infection. This is the reality. 

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

An interesting court case against Pfizer in Kansas:

PETITION COMES NOW the Plaintiff, State of Kansas, ex rel. Kris W. Kobach, Attorney General, by and through Assistant Attorney General Kaley Schrader, and for its cause of action against Defendant, alleges and states as follows:

NATURE OF THE ACTION

1. Pfizer misled the public that it had a “safe and effective” COVID-19 vaccine.

2. Pfizer said its COVID-19 vaccine was safe even though it knew its COVID-19 vaccine was connected to serious adverse events, including myocarditis and pericarditis, failed pregnancies, and deaths. Pfizer concealed this critical safety information from the public. 

3. Pfizer said its COVID-19 vaccine was effective even though it knew its COVID19 vaccine waned over time and did not protect against COVID-19 variants. Pfizer concealed this critical effectiveness information from the public.

4. Pfizer said its COVID-19 vaccine would prevent transmission of COVID-19 even though it knew it never studied the effect of its vaccine on transmission of COVID-19.

5. To keep the public from learning the truth, Pfizer worked to censor speech on social media that questioned Pfizer’s claims about its COVID-19 vaccine.

It's a very long list of complaints against Pfizer and the outcome will be very interesting to see.

https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/legaldocs/egvboakldpq/2024-06-15-pfizer-complaint-(002).pdf

Yes it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

But put yourself into the wayback machine for a moment and revisit that point in time when realisation struck that a new virus was rapidly spreading and there was no off the shelf solution, what do you do if you're government? 

The first thing you'd do is turn to your drug companies and ask if they can make something for you, they of course would say, we can try. And when after 3 or 6 months they made something but said it wasn't fully tested, because that normally takes 10 years, not 3 or 6 months, what do you do? Do you say no, test it.....cannot. Do you say, roll it out but tell everyone it's not fully tested and say this is at your risk? If you do that, a large percentage of the population wouldn't take up the offer so the needs of the population overall probably haven't been served. And anyway, the general population may be mostly dense but not that much so that they don't realise it can't have been fully tested, because of the short timescales. What you probably do is to roll it out and say something like, we think this is mostly safe for most people. I think that was the basis on which most reasonable people (not ambulance chasers however), were vaccinated, I know it was for me, even though there's no signed agreement in place, it's called, good faith, best efforts. Will 1%, 2%  or even 5% more people die because they took the vaccine? Probably. Is that acceptable? Probably, given the circumstances and nature of the problem.

• Haha 1

A series of off-topic diversion posts relating to a topic that already has its own separate thread in the forum have been removed.

The subject of this thread is: New COVID Sub-variant KP.2 on the Rise in Thailand. Not COVID vaccine litigation in the U.S.

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

And just how many are dying? As I said the chances of dying from Omicron, whatever variant, is very, very, very slim indeed. If a person is immunocompromised for example then the risk increases but for the majority Omicron in a non-severe viral infection. This is the reality. 

Yep, death rates are "acceptable" now.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:47 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And that studies repeatedly have shown than being up-to-date on COVID XBB variant vaccinations reduces people's risk of serious COVID illness vs. those who haven't received the latest vaccine.

Latest COVID-19 vaccines reduce hospitalization risk by around half

"The latest COVID-19 vaccines reduce the risk for hospitalization or visits to an ED or urgent care by around 50%, according to interim data published in MMWR.

Overall, VE against COVID-19-associated ME or hospitalization was 51% (95% CI = 47%-54%) in the first 7 to 59 days after receiving an updated vaccine dose and 39% (95% CI = 33%-45%) in the 60 to 119 days after an updated vaccine dose.

Screenshot_5.jpg.6c3b304447a6a4f2758ef7b91eab7c2d.jpg

https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20240301/latest-covid19-vaccines-reduce-hospitalization-risk-by-around-half

or the following from the U.S. CDC:

"Protective tools, like vaccines and treatments, that decrease risk of COVID-19 disease (particularly severe disease) are now widely available. COVID-19 vaccination reduces the risk of symptomatic disease and hospitalization by about 50% compared to people not up to date on vaccination. Over 95% of adults hospitalized in 2023-2024 due to COVID-19 had no record of receiving the latest vaccine."

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/background/index.html#:~:text=Over 95% of adults hospitalized,of receiving the latest vaccine

I find it disconcerting that they don't even bother to publish results after more than 119 days. That's just 4 months. 

A well informed friend of mine (over 70, overweight, diabetes) really gets vaccinated every 3 or 6 months - I forgot which number,  I find both numbers very frequent. 

I haven't followed the subject for a while,  so 2 questions if you happen to know the answers:

How long does the protection from vaccines against hospitalisation and death last? They used to say (1 or 2 years ago) this would be long-lasting.

I have read that there is no reason not to get a vaccine every 6 or even 3 months.  Do you know anything about this?

Thx