Labour Suspends Candidate Over 'Pro-Russian' Post

Social Media

image.png.e9d9c63f602ba3305d055ca63068b80d.png

Labour has suspended one of its candidates, Andy Brown, who is standing in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East, after reports surfaced that he shared "pro-Russian" material online. The Press and Journal first reported that Brown also shared a post downplaying allegations of antisemitism within the Labour Party.

A Labour spokesperson confirmed that Brown had been suspended pending an investigation. The suspension comes in light of a social media post Brown shared in April 2018, weeks after the Salisbury poisonings, from the Russian state media outlet RT. The article claimed that the toxin used in the Salisbury incident was "never produced in Russia, but was in service in the US, UK, and other NATO states."

In a separate instance in April 2018, Brown shared a quote from a Jewish historian stating, "the real issue... is that right-wing Jews in the Labour Party and outside the party object to the fact that Jeremy Corbyn is a consistent supporter of Palestinian rights."

A Scottish Labour spokesperson emphasized the party's commitment to high standards, stating, "Andy Brown has been administratively suspended from the Labour Party pending investigation. We have taken the decision to withdraw support from a parliamentary candidate during a General Election. Anas Sarwar and Keir Starmer have changed the Labour Party and said that every candidate and MP would operate to the highest standards. This action shows that they meant it."

Due to the timing of the suspension, after the political nominations deadline, Brown's name will still appear next to the Labour logo on the ballot paper for the election on July 4th. However, if elected, he will stand as an independent.

In the Aberdeenshire North and Moray East constituency, the Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross and SNP's Seamus Logan are also running as candidates.

Credit: BBC 2024-06-20

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

Product of a tool maker, Sir Keir Starmer must feel like he's playing bash the frog trying to keep the true distasteful nature of the Labour Party out of sight until the election.

Don't worry Sir Keir, you can take the mask off on July 5th. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Don't worry Sir Keir, you can take the mask off on July 5th. 

So have you now accepted that, this wobble aside, Labour aren't in fact going to do enough self-harm to lose the election to the Tories?

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

the toxin used in the Salisbury incident was "never produced in Russia, but was in service in the US, UK, and other NATO states."

https://www.rt.com/news/424149-skripal-poisoning-bz-lavrov/

The Russian foreign minister said that London refused to answer dozens of “very specific” questions asked by Moscow about the Salisbury case, as well as to provide any substantial evidence that could shed light on the incident. Instead, the UK accused Russia of failing to answer its own questions, he said, adding that, in fact, London did not ask any questions but wanted Moscow to admit that it was responsible for the delivery of the chemical agent to the UK.

https://www.unz.com/article/tracing-the-rush-to-war/

The technical ability of Porton Down to identify a chemical has never been in doubt, and the only “finding of the United Kingdom”the OPCW has confirmed is the identity of the chemical.

10. The results of analysis by the OPCW designated laboratories of environmental and
biomedical samples collected by the OPCW team confirm the findings of the United
Kingdom relating to the identity of the toxic chemical that was used in Salisbury and
severely injured three people.
11. The TAV team notes that the toxic chemical was of high purity. The latter is
concluded from the almost complete absence of impurities.

There are scores of countries that chemical could have come from. For the BBC and other mainstream media outlets to pretend that the OPCW has in any sense endorsed Boris Johnson’s claims about Russia is to spread deliberate lies as propaganda. In fact what they have confirmed is simply the finding of Porton Down – and that finding was that it is a chemical which cannot be confirmed as made in Russia.

Edited by Hakuna Matata

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

So have you now accepted that, this wobble aside, Labour aren't in fact going to do enough self-harm to lose the election to the Tories?

2 weeks is a long time in politics. 

But so far, Sir Keir has managed to brush most of the dirt under the carpet. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

2 weeks is a long time in politics. 

Indeed. 2 weeks ago most Tory MPs were trying to at least believe they could somehow end up in hung parliament territory.

Now they're begging the electorate to let them still at least be the official opposition.

I'm with you. I can't wait to see how things go over the next 2 wees!

5 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

You have freedom and democracy only as long as you conform.

When one is a member of the political party one is expected to tow the party line, yes.

If one doesn't agree with a party on a main issue, then one can find a party that is more aligned with ones own views.

If one wants to say whatever one likes and not be constrained by party politics then they are free to stand as an independent.

So the validity of your statement really boils down with whether you were referring to freedom as a party member (in which case you're right, you are expected to conform to certain views), or if you are referring to freedom as an individual - in which case the statement is incorrect.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Starmer is right to expel this guy.

Get rid of him before he gains influence in the Labour Party and starts lobbying for Russian Oligarchs to be elevated to the House of Lords.

If Labour got rid of every candidate with objectionable views they'd end up with the same number of seats as the greens.

Best he keeps sweeping it under the carpet under until July 5th. After that, we'll find out what these people are really like soon enough. 

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If Labour got rid of every candidate with objectionable views they'd end up with the same number of seats as the greens.

Best he keeps sweeping it under the carpet under until July 5th. After that, we'll find out what these people are really like soon enough. 

Oh so you tell us.

There are some candidates in this election who have expressed very troubling views, they are by no means all Labour candidates, not by a long way.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are some candidates in this election who have expressed very troubling views, they are by no means all Labour candidates, not by a long way.

Yes, some of them are smart enough to keep their views to themselves until July 5th. 

Sir Keir is ruling with an iron fist. Keep it zipped or get out.  

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, some of them are smart enough to keep their views to themselves until July 5th. 

Sir Keir is ruling with an iron fist. Keep it zipped or get out.  

And the evidence you have of this is the evidence you don’t have of views that have not been expressed.

Do you see the problem there?

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

And the evidence you have of this is the evidence you don’t have of views that have not been expressed.

Do you see the problem there?

I'd provide links of all the previous revolting comments by Labour MPs/candidates, but I have a meeting at 4pm tomorrow and wouldn't be able to finish in time. 

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'd provide links of all the previous revolting comments by Labour MPs/candidates, but I have a meeting at 4pm tomorrow and wouldn't be able to finish in time. 

I was thinking of having a wee punt on why candidates from any party in the run up to the election.

But then I hear having an ‘insider knowledge fueled punt on the election is actually good cause to suspend MP’s and party staff.

Not simply expressing views, but criminal activity.

The Gaming Commission are n it.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

30 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I was thinking of having a wee punt on why candidates from any party in the run up to the election.

But then I hear having an ‘insider knowledge fueled punt on the election is actually good cause to suspend MP’s and party staff.

Not simply expressing views, but criminal activity.

The Gaming Commission are n it.

Is that the same insider knowledge that told you it would be a May election? 😆

I wouldn't rush down the bookies if I were you.  

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Is that the same insider knowledge that told you it would be a May election? 😆

I wouldn't rush down the bookies if I were you.  

No it’s some rather serious.

A bit beyond social media post.

• Haha 2