Classrooms in Louisiana Must All Display Ten Commandments

Social Media

6 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

The Constitution ?  America in the late 1700s was built by the Founding Fathers. To suggest that all or most of the Founding Fathers were believers in God, believed in Jesus as Lord, and they accepted the Cross, well, that's putting it lightly.

It's absurd to imply that the Founding Fathers of America wanted to build a new nation on secular (non-God) grounds.  America is a nation built on Europeans leaving Europe, and these people wanted to praise and worship God, they wanted the freedom to praise and worship the actual God they wanted. These people were not allowed to freely carry out their religion/Christianity in Europe, they went to the USA to have their freedom of religion. They did not go to America to get away from God, they went to America in order to get closer to God.

First_continental_Congress_at_Prayer.jpg.061782d5d4a6b3d8be64c7071d9de14b.jpg

And above, we have a painting of the First Continental Congress at Prayer.
Yes, prayer is of vital importance. It's a vital part of the USA, crucial to the US government, prayers are always said before any US government meeting. Actually, without prayer, there's no US government.  And this applies to the Republicans and the Democrats.

What did they write in the Constitution about religion and State?

And take note ‘Religion’ all of it, not just Christianity.

4 hours ago, riclag said:

When did America become Judeo-Christian?

1940s

Promoting the concept of the United States as a Judeo-Christian nation first became a political program in the 1940s, in response to the growth of anti-Semitism in America. The rise of Nazi anti-semitism in the 1930s led concerned Protestants, Catholics, and Jews to take steps to increase understanding and tolerance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judeo-Christian_ethics#:~:text=Promoting the concept of the,to increase understanding and tolerance.

As the article point out:

"In this effort, precursors of the National Conference of Christians and Jews created teams consisting of a priest, a rabbi, and a minister, to run programs across the country, and fashion a more pluralistic America, no longer defined as a Christian land, but "one nurtured by three ennobling traditions: Protestantism, Catholicism and Judaism. ... The phrase 'Judeo-Christian' entered the contemporary lexicon as the standard liberal term for the idea that Western values rest on a religious consensus that included Jews."[19]"

It was just one slightly more inclusive belief replacing another. Both were baseless.

Come to think of it. there's a class of jokes that begin with "a priest, a rabbi, and a minister". The upshot of the "judeo-christian" rebranding turned out to be a bad one.

Edited by placeholder

22 hours ago, 2baht said:

Well, God does bless America, doesn't he? It's a small sacrifice to make! :whistling:

not everybody "prays" on the same team  ....   with Liberty and Justice,,   FOR ALL

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Ever hear of Family Values and responsibility of parents to provide moral and ethical guidance to their children that seems a major feature of some religions? But conservative extremists want the government to supplant parent's influence over their children unless they too bend to the government ideals of faith.

What???  It seems that "family values" is failing... and if you do not believe that... my question is... where do you learn of "family values"... what is the source???

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Good question ... answer ...  I received my guidance from my parents at home and in my church membership as a youth. OK, I am American and old and so was indoctrinated by public school Bible readings and Pledging Allegiance to the flag of the USA, which would end in the 1960s, if I recall correctly. "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." - Corinthinans 13:11. Personally, I have far outgrown orientation toward any one religious belief. And that is the point ... our individual beliefs are personal rights, not to be imposed by the government.

Another view would be to allow the government of each group of people (ie individual state citizens) to be exposed to guidelines (10 commandments) without the need to force feed those guidelines... but the separatists do not want exposer as it MAY cause others to have opinions different to theirs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Which books???

What, I have to give you a reading list? Tell you what, I'll put in the effort if you promise to try to read the books. Deal? 

17 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

America is a nation built on Europeans leaving Europe, and these people wanted to praise and worship God, they wanted the freedom to praise and worship the actual God they wanted. These people were not allowed to freely carry out their religion/Christianity in Europe, they went to the USA to have their freedom of religion. They did not go to America to get away from God, they went to America in order to get closer to God.

Correct but you are referring to the original Pilgrims not the Founding Fathers, many of whom were members of the CoE.

Do you believe that the original Plymouth Pilgrims would have approved of anything other than a non-secular Constitution?

54 minutes ago, RayC said:

Correct but you are referring to the original Pilgrims not the Founding Fathers, many of whom were members of the CoE.

Do you believe that the original Plymouth Pilgrims would have approved of anything other than a non-secular Constitution?

In fact, the Pilgrims did not believe in religious tolerance. Which is why Roger Williams left to establish a colony in what is now Rhode Island.

"The political and religious leader Roger Williams (c. 1603?-1683) is best known for founding the state of Rhode Island and advocating separation of church and state in Colonial America. He is also the founder of the first Baptist church in America. His views on religious freedom and tolerance, coupled with his disapproval of the practice of confiscating land from Native Americans, earned him the wrath of his church and banishment from the Massachusetts Bay Colony."

https://www.history.com/topics/colonial-america/roger-williams

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In fact, the Pilgrims did not believe in religious tolerance. Which is why Roger Williams left to establish a colony in what is now Rhode Island.

"The political and religious leader Roger Williams (c. 1603?-1683) is best known for founding the state of Rhode Island and advocating separation of church and state in Colonial America. He is also the founder of the first Baptist church in America. His views on religious freedom and tolerance, coupled with his disapproval of the practice of confiscating land from Native Americans, earned him the wrath of his church and banishment from the Massachusetts Bay Colony."

https://www.history.com/topics/colonial-america/roger-williams

I think that we are both correct (and incorrect). Some pilgrims did not believe in religious tolerance, others did. Some (most?) were secularist, others weren't.

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

I think that we are both correct (and incorrect). Some pilgrims did not believe in religious tolerance, others did. Some (most?) were secularist, others weren't.

I don't think so. The Pilgrims were actually religious fanatics.

"They made peace with some of the Indians they encountered, but they slaughtered others. They were devout, but they weren't exactly proponents of religious freedom: People who didn't accept their strict beliefs were expelled from their community."

https://www.npr.org/2015/11/26/457246585/reconsidering-the-pilgrims-piety-and-americas-founding-principles#:~:text=They were devout%2C but they,were expelled from their community.

On 6/21/2024 at 3:35 AM, Social Media said:

Louisiana has enacted a controversial new law mandating that every public school classroom, from elementary through university level, display a poster of the Ten Commandments.

5! Good! Right or wrong - constitutional or not- it annoys the heck out of the left. I suppose that’s why they implemented the law-annoyance factor- I like it!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

And who needed to be told that killing and stealing are wrong? Maybe MAGA types, but absent the psychopathic demographic, people know it's a no-no to kill.

Oh oh are you an anti-Trump supremacist? 

All men are equal, why be so insulting, divisive and childish? 

No wonder the US has 2 old has beens debating soon, people like you are the cause, thinking you are superior to 70, million Republican voters. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, stoner said:

possibly the dumbest thing you have ever said on here. your clear disgusting bias is showing here with this pathetic accusation. 

seek help for your octd. 

I kind of liked it.

You don't need to be any religion to know that certain things are wrong.

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't think so. The Pilgrims were actually religious fanatics.

"They made peace with some of the Indians they encountered, but they slaughtered others. They were devout, but they weren't exactly proponents of religious freedom: People who didn't accept their strict beliefs were expelled from their community."

https://www.npr.org/2015/11/26/457246585/reconsidering-the-pilgrims-piety-and-americas-founding-principles#:~:text=They were devout%2C but they,were expelled from their community.

I am out of my comfort zone here, but not all of The Pilgrims were religious zealots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower_Compact

In any event, that is bye-the-bye. The OP inferred that the Pilgrims and/or Founding Fathers would have been non-secular. The evidence suggests that while some might support a non-secular state, this view was certainly not universal. Therefore, the idea that the US constitution supports the concept of a 'State' based religion vis-a-vis the CoE in England seems flawed to me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fathers_of_the_United_States (section on religion)

13 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Nothing screams 'man made god' louder than the Judeo 10 Commandments.

Apparently the creator (sic) of 200 billion galaxies each with up to a trillion stars, is really insecure if he insisted the first 3 Commandments be all about it. On an obscure planet around a nothing star in one of those 200 billion galaxies, this omnipotent being insists on no competitors, no graven images, and set aside a day just to tell it how great it is.

Sounds very human, and not the good kind of human.

And who needed to be told that killing and stealing are wrong? Maybe MAGA types, but absent the psychopathic demographic, people know it's a no-no to kill.

Oddly, no mention of slavery. In fact neither the Bible nor the great Hay Zeus himself, who had 33 years to say something about it, never said owning other humans is wrong.

No, there's no morality in the Bible, and nothing anyone wouldn't innately know in the Commandments that discuss actual moral subjects, rather than the "hey, look at me!" first three. Totally unnecessary drivel.

As has been noted, the Constitution mentions deities exactly zero times. The fact a good many of the Founders were not believers, plus they knew the dangers of forced faith, explains why they left out the superstition.

I wonder if at some future date when US demographics could conceivably shift toward majority Moslem, will we have Shari'a enforced upon us and daily sura readings in schools?

Do you write this drible... sounds like kamala's word salad.

• Like 1