Dubai

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

Argentina and Chile would suit me better. Brazilians are up themselves.

Clearly you have never been to Argentina, they are the most conceited of the South American countries.

Brazilians don’t come close, even the Cariocas.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Brazil is sort of the Thailand of South America.

'Can't wait.

Since I killed Dubai as a layover option, any Brazil or S.American reflections would be appreciated.

Brazilians are nothing like Thai people.

• Sad 2

Been there a couple of times recently as my son works there as a singer/guitarist. Absolutely HATE the place. Skyscraper after skyscraper, all connected by big motorways. Driving is about as crazy as here. And as for the prices of food & drink.forget it. Got a reasonable hotel for about Bht 2500 per night.

Did Bahrain as well, where my other son is a drummer/vocalist. Not quite as congested, but just as expensive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Been there a couple of times recently as my son works there as a singer/guitarist. Absolutely HATE the place. Skyscraper after skyscraper, all connected by big motorways. Driving is about as crazy as here. And as for the prices of food & drink.forget it. Got a reasonable hotel for about Bht 2500 per night.

Did Bahrain as well, where my other son is a drummer/vocalist. Not quite as congested, but just as expensive.

Sounds great for Prubangboy. 3 year trip.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Certainly can be. Take it you were at the army garrison, I was  in the RAF there from Jan 70 till Dec, got early repat as they started to close down.

Think the Queens Own left in April 70 but can't remember who replaced them.

Yep.  I was with the OSS and left on a VC 10 13 December 70.

I think the Queens Own were replaced by the Irish Rangers. But maybe my memory on that is scant🤣🤣🤣

12 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Yep.  I was with the OSS and left on a VC 10 13 December 70.

I think the Queens Own were replaced by the Irish Rangers. But maybe my memory on that is scant🤣🤣🤣

Tell me about it, some of it very vague now.

As you said a small world, looks like I may have been on the same VC10. After Sharjah I went to Brize Norton, workd in the instrument bay before going on the VC10s/Belfast Line.

service record movements.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Tell me about it, some of it very vague now.

As you said a small world, looks like I may have been on the same VC10. After Sharjah I went to Brize Norton, workd in the instrument bay before going on the VC10s/Belfast Line.

service record movements.jpg

That's quite amazing that we were both probably on the same flight.

Landed at Brize, and took the train to Heathrow and onto Dusseldorf.

Absolutely freezing.

I always remember when cholera broke out and we had to use the RAF canteen/ cookhouse.   I couldn't believe the difference.   Knives and forks on the tables instead of us using are own kfs, and a great menu.

The place was spotless compared to the Army cookhouse.   

21 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Absolutely freezing.

I always remember when cholera broke out and we had to use the RAF canteen/ cookhouse.   I couldn't believe the difference.   Knives and forks on the tables instead of us using are own kfs, and a great menu.

Indeed. I landed at Brize, got pulled by customs for not declaring my watch so missed the transport to the railway station. Had to get a taxi which turned out to be LPG, ran out of gas half way to Didcot. Over an hour to get replacement and frozen to death.

Many complained about being there for various reasons, one of them being the food, but I quite enjoyed the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Indeed. I landed at Brize, got pulled by customs for not declaring my watch so missed the transport to the railway station. Had to get a taxi which turned out to be LPG, ran out of gas half way to Didcot. Over an hour to get replacement and frozen to death.

Many complained about being there for various reasons, one of them being the food, but I quite enjoyed the time.

Yep, the food wasn't great on our side of the fence.

I enjoyed Khan Creek, but was really glad to leave.

Edited by Raindancer
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 2:37 PM, Prubangboy said:

Have you been, would you go? It never pops up in retirement alternative destination discussions here.

Yes, I've been there. How long is the stopover. If long enough plenty of day tours that were interesting. Along the waterfront was interesting for a walkabout.

Depends on time of year for dune driving.

If it's hottest time of year, go on an AC coach tour of the emirates.

On 6/23/2024 at 5:54 PM, Raindancer said:

Absolutely freezing.

Airforce has better mess than the army for sure, but best food from the navy, on land ( they also had the best looking girls ).

The army thought mutton, boiled potatoes and silverbeet could be served every evening.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:37 AM, Prubangboy said:

Will have a stopover there en route to Brazil for a vacation. It's the only way to fly premium-economy to Brazil.

Have you been, would you go? It never pops up in retirement alternative destination discussions here.

'Doesn't look like there's much there to interest me. Two small old areas with some souks, a mall or two, some fake beaches.

I was surprised that Abu Dhabi, the nicer part of Dubai with a Louvre branch is 3 hours away from the main airport. 

Dubai, where anything and everything is possible(literally). When I was there about a decade ago snow boarding and sking was possible at Emirates Mall(of course it was man made snow but the indoor facility was impressive).  I worked iin Kuwait for two years and Dubai was the closest place to go for joy, happiness and fun. It is expensive like Singapore but food from all over the world is available and the choice of adult beverages was unlimited.  Met friendly ladies from Ukraine, Romania, Nepal, Bhutan, the PI (many from the PI) and yes Chinese ladies as well. A day or two in DXB will be an eye opening experience. Maybe I will go back next year.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Airforce has better mess than the army for sure, but best food from the navy, on land ( they also had the best looking girls ).

The army thought mutton, boiled potatoes and silverbeet could be served every evening.

Oh really.   When did you last eat in an Army cookhouse.

I think you are referring to the 1940s, but I'm sure you're not that old🤣🤣

18 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Dubai, where anything and everything is possible(literally). When I was there about a decade ago snow boarding and sking was possible at Emirates Mall(of course it was man made snow but the indoor facility was impressive).  I worked iin Kuwait for two years and Dubai was the closest place to go for joy, happiness and fun. It is expensive like Singapore but food from all over the world is available and the choice of adult beverages was unlimited.  Met friendly ladies from Ukraine, Romania, Nepal, Bhutan, the PI (many from the PI) and yes Chinese ladies as well. A day or two in DXB will be an eye opening experience. Maybe I will go back next year.

I remember my first time in Dubai, I stayed overnight at the Astoria Hotel before I caught my ship in Jebel Ali. The restaurant and bar was wall to wall hookers. Dubai is awesome, I have been there countless times. If anyone wants to visit the Middle East, Dubai is a great place to start. The Malls are out of this world. I watched Hangover 3 in a theater there. It was great seeing ladies with berkas watching the movie.

In the near future I plan on taking my kid to go see Dubai. Would be a fantastic week.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I remember my first time in Dubai, I stayed overnight at the Astoria Hotel before I caught my ship in Jebel Ali. The restaurant and bar was wall to wall hookers. Dubai is awesome, I have been there countless times. If anyone wants to visit the Middle East, Dubai is a great place to start. The Malls are out of this world. I watched Hangover 3 in a theater there. It was great seeing ladies with berkas watching the movie.

In the near future I plan on taking my kid to go see Dubai. Would be a fantastic week.

Favorite hotels were Marco Polo and Traders (don't know if both are still there).  First time in DXB was eye opening to what "money can truly buy". 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

Anyone go back far enough to remember the Carlton Hotel.

And only way to cross the river was by Dhow.

And of course the Costain Beach Club.

Crossing over from the Old Market (souq) to the other side by dhow was part of the fun.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

When I worked O&G  in Iran I usually had a couple days in DBX at each end of the hitch.Tons of p4p in some areas.I wouldn't want to live there though>Sharia Law<  Spent some time at the Irish Pub compound...lovely place. You could buy gold wafers etc from a vending machine on one of the upper floors of the Burj Mia Khalifa.

Great place to blow out the pipes after 6 weeks offshore. Mind you I was living in Pattaya at the time ,so...

14 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I met my family there, and I went bevving with my Wee Boy.
It had all changed, and it was not the same as I remembered.

There was a general dissatisfaction on my part that I struggled to find the shortest route the "... streets I used to know...", but we got there in the end.
So I'd had slightly longer to build up the Dublin Arms than I had planned, and we walked into the hotel - and it was gone!  There was a nightclub instead, and I pushed on the door, but it was definetely not open at 7.30 pm.  I pushed again, anyway.  And I turned to the Lad, and gave him a shrug as if to say "Je ne sais quoi", or maybe "your confusion is matched only by my my disappointment" and we turned to go out.
The Doorman said, as we were leaving "Dublin Arms has moved upstairs", and whether the upstairs bar was better than nothing or not is a moot point, but any disappointment is easier to swallow with three pints of Guinness. 

Things are not what they were.  I was very impressed with the level of effort to make Dubai pedestrian-friendly, but probably the most important part of that was December.   

21 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Anyone go back far enough to remember the Carlton Hotel.

And only way to cross the river was by Dhow.

And of course the Costain Beach Club.

I think the hotel I stayed at was called Chicago Beach Hotel. The breakfast was not included and was too expensive, but they had a free van to go to town so I'd go into town for breakfast every day.

Can't have been a memorable hotel as I remember nothing except that about it.

That was back in the early 90s and I don't remember any hookers being around then.

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Don't go when it's hottest. The heat is brutal, and some of the tours don't go.