Britain's Richest Family Sentenced to Prison for Exploiting Staff in Swiss Mansion

Social Media

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

Both Prakash, aged 78, and Kamal, aged 75, were absent from the trial, citing health issues.

If they were Thai and were to serve prison time in Thailand - which would never happen because of their wealth - they'd be given a comfortable hospital suite rather than a cell. But they aren't, so they won't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If they were Thai and were to serve prison time in Thailand - which would never happen because of their wealth - they'd be given a comfortable hospital suite rather than a cell. But they aren't, so they won't.

Can't imagine a Swiss jail could be all that bad.

• Agree 1

Well they should be severely punished.

I've worked in India, many times seen staff in the office (including well qualified senior accountants and junior staff) strongly abused.

Their boss was a 24 yo niece of the conglomerate owner, if the staff (any staff, di  / all levels didn't instantly stand up and respond to her demand for their attention (perhaps on the phone lookin in the opposite direction and conducting a business conversation) she would pick up a heavy book and throw it at them, across the room f needed.

There was a 15 yo office boy, he was always clean and neat and keen to work, he responded very quickly and politely; the 24yo boss would often march up to him and smack his face hard both directions and yell in his face 'not fast enough'. On one occasion she also smacked the bottom of the try he was carrying with coffee and tea cups, a cup flew up and cut his face.  Boss lady abused him and did nothing to attend to the blood on his face.  Other staff all quick smart put their heads down and got on with their work. The boy had a clean handkerchief, he used that to try to stop the bleeding but ensuring he continued to do his work.

• Like 1

Anybody surprised? Despite some apparences of modernized country, India has all the characterics of a third world  country. The happy few very rich and an overwhelming majority of poor people. This sustained by theirMiddle Ages cast system. 

My parents were quite wealthy when we first arrived in Canada decades ago.

It was virtually impossible for my mum to try and look after the house, the kids, etc., after being pampered literally like a princess all her life.

So, they tried to bring in servants from various countries at various times. 

This was not cheap, and required a lot of paperwork, and also the giving of personal assurances that the "imported" staff would leave the country when their visa was over.

It would never happen.  Invariably, no matter how high their salary, there were always family "friends" who would poach them, by offering a higher salary.

Or, they themselves would just disappear one day, for greener pastures, never to be seen again (leaving my folks in a bit of trouble for guarantees given on their behalf).

So, I can understand taking away their passports, and also limiting their freedom, due to the difficulties in importing and keeping track of domestic staff.

What I can not understand, is them being underpaid, by billionaires!

At the least, perhaps homes could have been bought for them in their home countries, or monies deposited in fixed deposits for their benefit down the road?

Cheating poor people, by extremely rich people, IMO a huge no-no.  Throw the book at them!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

It was virtually impossible for my mum to try and look after the house, the kids, etc., after being pampered literally like a princess all her life.

This was not cheap, and required a lot of paperwork, and also the giving of personal assurances that the "imported" staff would leave the country when their visa was over.

It would never happen.  Invariably, no matter how high their salary, there were always family "friends" who would poach them, by offering a higher salary.

Or, they themselves would just disappear one day, for greener pastures, never to be seen again (leaving my folks in a bit of trouble for guarantees given on their behalf).

So, I can understand taking away their passports, and also limiting their freedom, due to the difficulties in importing and keeping track of domestic staff.

At the least, perhaps homes could have been bought for them in their home countries, or monies deposited in fixed deposits for their benefit down the road?

Cheating poor people, by extremely rich people, IMO a huge no-no.  Throw the book at them!

"So, I can understand taking away their passports".

They are human beings, entitled to equal status in every way. Nobody has the right to withhold their passport, never.

(In reality a passport is owned by the issuing country.)

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

"What I can not understand, is them being underpaid, by billionaires!"  That's how they became rich - don't pay your bills! Trump.

"So, I can understand taking away their passports, and also limiting their freedom, due to the difficulties in importing and keeping track of domestic staff"

- They have no right whatever, regardless of any circumstances to hold someone's passport.  Can't hold someone responsible for the activity of other unrelated people.

I'm aware of a case about 20 years back of an expat family from Europe living in Bkk, they had a timid Filipino maid, she had been with the family for some 20 years across 3 or 4 countries, she had wanted to go back to her family in the Philippines for a long time but the family had locked up her passport and she couldn't escape.  A farang lawyer came to the house to pick up some documents (not connected to the maid), she took the risk of speaking to the lawyer. Within the same day the RTP had got her out of the house and into the sanctuary of the Philippines embassy in Bkk. Then quickly on a flight to Manila.

European husband and wife did 3 or 4 years jail. 

• Like 1

An Indian couple in Berkeley, California (sometimes referred to as The People's Republic Berkeley) were taken to court for abusing their Asian housemaid, did things like torture her with a laundry iron when they were displeased, and so on.  The sentence was severe, can't recall exactly, but it was around 20 years for each of them.  No sympathy from me.  More countries need to step up.  You hear that Malaysia?  Very common to hear of Indonesian domestic workers being treated as described in the OP over there.

This confiscating of passports is one of the pillars of human trafficking operations, even for the Asian massagee parlors in the US, one of which is in Jupiter, Florida and is supposedly popular with patrons of a notorious, nearby golf course.  :ohmy:

Jupiter spa owner arrested in prostitution, human-trafficking bust

• Thanks 1