Skinflint Boomers

1) I have no fear of outliving my money. 

2) I don't care much about leaving much to my heirs. 

3) I do not stay at home any more now than I did pre covid.

4) I do have too much cr*p, but I'm looking for a bigger house. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Perhaps skinflint boomers are a product of their parents who grew up during the Great Depression era of the 1930's.

I agree, My Maw and Paw endured the great depression as children and the 2nd World War as young adults. These imprinted a fear of running out of funds for the rest of their lives. Furthermore Grandchildren at university are expensive if you do not want to let them run up a large debt.

• Agree 2

On 6/23/2024 at 4:49 PM, Prubangboy said:

1) fear of out-living their money due to increased life spans

2) wanting to leave money to their heirs

3) stay-at-home habits from Covid are sticking

4) oldies feel glutted with possessions and want no more

I fall under all four reasons. I even did #3 well before covid appeared.

I do, however, spend a HEAP of money on my Thai partner.

On 6/23/2024 at 8:06 PM, Lacessit said:

Comparing Thailand with the Western world, it is blindingly obvious the cost of housing, food and services have inflated far less here.

I agree. I have rented the same condo in Bangkok for the past 9 years and the rent has remained the same at 17000 a month all that time. Maybe I have a good landlord. In the meantime I have 2 properties in my home country and I have increase the rent there almost every year to keep up with costs and maintain my standard of living.

17 hours ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

Longer life spans like living into one's 90s or 100s in high income countries seems to be a happening thing. So work longer;  don't smoke/vape/eat crap or binge Netflix. Get a dog, you'll live 8-9 years longer than average.  

20240618_100732.jpg

You call THAT a dog? 5555555555555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dexxter said:

I fall under all four reasons. I even did #3 well before covid appeared.

I do, however, spend a HEAP of money on my Thai partner.

So your more a "home body" ?

Nothing wrong with that , even I prefer the comfort of home instead of going out much.

This weekend for example I will have to stay home to read over the Australian Government privacy Laws and the finance budget  ,not for any particular reason but these are all new ones apparently 

On 6/23/2024 at 2:49 PM, Prubangboy said:

-So says The Economist. This generation of pensioners is not spending nearly as much as past generations. 10% less, and it's lowering inflation and interest rates as that unspent cash rolls over into savings.

Reason:

1) fear of out-living their money due to increased life spans

2) wanting to leave money to their heirs

3) stay-at-home habits from Covid are sticking

4) oldies feel glutted with possessions and want no more

Are you a net-saver well into retirement? Why? Which reason above affects your spending?

Me first: I spend about 70% of my monthly allotment. The rest is re-invested.

I expect to live for about 15 more years (no $$$ prob). No heirs. I eat out in a nice Nimman restaurant for my main meal every day.

I ran out of stuff to buy (I have 16 nice polo shirts). I splurge a little on travel (premium economy flights these days) and I give a bit away.

-And how has living in cheap Thailand affected your spending? I go to the doctor at the drop of a hat now that it's only 500 baht for the office visit.

Back in the day, pensions were paid by the government / public out of other people's current earnings.  Since about the 1980s / 1990s, people are expected to have saved and invested their own pension funds.  

• Thumbs Up 1