Thailand in Top 50 in 2024 Happiness Report

webfact

6 hours ago, reflectionx said:

These ranking are ultimate BS. Nordic countries always end up at the top, yet I never heard of anyone moving there to retire. 

Happiness nowadays is just another label the corporations are using to promote consumerist society.

Ignorance is bliss…

Been around the world for the last 35 years, and hold Norway as the best country for safety, clean air, climate 8 months a year, living, equality,  and social security.

Not surprised you never hear someone going here to retire, because most want bang for their money when they do.

Nordic countries is great for working, families and healthy living if you have resources enough.

I'm moving back after 8 years living in Thailand.

The happy monsters here proves they made the right choice? 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The report evaluates happiness based on six categories: GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and perceptions of corruption.

Top 50, yes I can believe that. Great weather, good food, beautiful countryside, at least where tourism hasn't trashed it (Thai and farang), strong (if somewhat demanding) family bonds, free public health care (if with long queues and not exactly the most advanced in the world), a consumer society where pretty much everything is available, what's to make them unhappy?

• Haha 1

Say what you will about Thailand, I have likely said it all myself, the people here are for the most part happy.  It has nothing at all to do with their totally useless government. I find Thai’s ready with a smile, a laugh or “mai pen rai”. It’s what makes living in Thailand tolerable for me.  Global survey or not, the Thai people are happy and good to be around. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

In the over-60 category, Thailand does even better, at #41.

The significance of the report is that the UK seems twice as happy for young and old. Not coincidentally, Brits moving from the UK to Thailand all turn into whinging, miserable gits. Then, after they move back to the paradise of the UK, they're happy again and stop bashing Thailand. The lesson is clear.

I suppose that makes sense, since after 60 one no longer needs to deal with so much of the farce that goes on in everything one is trying to do while building a life, running a business, raising a family, and constantly having to put up with incompetence at every turn. Once over 60, the vast majority of those things are gone by the wayside and one can kick back and relax without needing to be involved in that tangled web, unless one chooses to be.
I really wonder about the demographics of this poll and the exact questions asked. It would be interesting to see to get an idea how good the quality of this poll really is.

9 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Most of the Thai younger generation have never been out of the Country to see the rest of the world, let alone had an education system that taught them about other Countries. Even my ex-Thai missus who spoke perfect English could not point to Thailand in a map of the world!!!!

Your point? If your not so wise ex that you married could point to Thailand would she be happier.  At least you seem happy to look down on others which says something about your character.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Wikipedia

Thailand has been ranked among the top 50 happiest countries in the World Happiness Report 2024, underscoring its considerable appeal as a destination particularly favoured by young people. This achievement highlights the country’s overall high levels of happiness, especially among those under 30.

The annual World Happiness Report, orchestrated by the United Nations (UN), the University of Oxford, and research firm Gallup, used data from the Gallup World Poll conducted between 2021 and 2022.

The report evaluates happiness based on six categories: GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and perceptions of corruption.

In this latest report, Thailand secured the 45th spot out of 143 countries and regions. It stands as the second happiest country in Asia, trailing only Taiwan.

Travel+Leisure magazine attributes Thailand’s ranking to its popular reputation as a travel destination and its welcoming atmosphere for international visitors.

The country's visa-free measures and various visa options have made it particularly accessible for young foreigners wishing to experience Thai culture and lifestyle.

The top 10 happiest countries include Lithuania, Israel, Serbia, Iceland, Denmark, Luxembourg, Finland, Romania, the Netherlands, and Czechia.

Chai Watcharong, spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office, remarked that Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin is highly attuned to the needs and lifestyles of the younger generation, particularly considering global changes.

PM Srettha has prioritised policies that resonate with the youth, such as the Marriage Equality Bill, passed on June 18, making Thailand the first country in ASEAN and the third in Asia to approve such legislation.

Chai stated that the ranking serves as evidence of the government’s effective leadership under PM Srettha. However, Thai netizens have voiced mixed reactions, highlighting challenges faced by local youth, such as job scarcity and drug addiction, suggesting that while Thailand may be welcoming for foreign youth, it has unresolved issues for its own young population.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-26

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Israel? Hmm... They dont look so happy in the TV news when reporting from tha war...

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Your point? If your not so wise ex that you married could point to Thailand would she be happier.  At least you seem happy to look down on others which says something about your character.

Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror as you appear the one with the problem!!! I rest my case m'lord.!!!

• Agree 1

I doubt about such critiria ranking methods.

You rank approximately by the same score Thailand = Greece = Malaysia =......China........ =Bahrain =Jamaica =......Libya.....=Bosnia and Herzegovina.............and I didnt read the full report to see if Syria Republic people are also happy........or Iraqians......and you grade the countres during Corona covid-19 when half population on Earth was under dictatorship regime and the other half planet population was free meals......

And I omit that the first countries you grade excellent are : Finland - Denmark - Iceland island - Sweden -Israel where all of them are very -very expensives and in Israel Tel Aviv real estate price are sold €40.000 per square meter......

Are you kidding us?

Source: (18 page)

https://happiness-report.s3.amazonaws.com/2024/WHR+24.pdf

Edited by Paris333

31 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror as you appear the one with the problem!!! I rest my case m'lord.!!!

I looked in the mirror and see a  few but still don't get how trashing a Thia's geography knowledge has anything to do with happiness. That was why I asked what was your point.  Might be missing the obvious - so again, your point? I didn't read the whole thread so might have missed something.  No big deal - march on...

Edited by atpeace
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sig said:

I suppose that makes sense, since after 60 one no longer needs to deal with so much of the farce that goes on in everything one is trying to do while building a life, running a business, raising a family, and constantly having to put up with incompetence at every turn. Once over 60, the vast majority of those things are gone by the wayside and one can kick back and relax without needing to be involved in that tangled web, unless one chooses to be.
I really wonder about the demographics of this poll and the exact questions asked. It would be interesting to see to get an idea how good the quality of this poll really is.

And the UK still strongly outranks Thailand for the 60 and over crowd. The stats are all given in the report and if you "really wonder," you may study it at your leisure: https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2024/

12 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Thailand certainly ranks among the 10 most desperate countries who try to attract foreign money .

Invest in Thailand ? With the current political instability ?

The ' hub ' of ignorance and political satire .

What a ridiculous comment. 

20 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Lies lies lies. Thailand is 58

No. The OP references the below-30 youth index. It's not stated clearly, but phrases like

underscoring its considerable appeal as a destination particularly favoured by young people.
particularly accessible for young foreigners
is highly attuned to the needs and lifestyles of the younger generation
policies that resonate with the youth

indicate so. Thailand is at #45.

19 hours ago, BigStar said:

And the UK still strongly outranks Thailand for the 60 and over crowd. The stats are all given in the report and if you "really wonder," you may study it at your leisure: https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2024/

Not sure if you were thinking for some reason that I didn't agree about the UK outranking Thailand. That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I was more wondering about the case of Thailand ranking so highly. I find it improbable. The hype or PR about any developing nation as being a top "happy place" is very difficult for me to believe. Polls or studies can be designed in myriad ways to make things look different from reality. To really know if the study or poll was done well, one would need to know the quality of the design of the study/poll. Or maybe, if possible, it be a poll by a tried and proven unbiased (if there is such a thing) group.
It is not easy for the average man on the street living in a developing country. It seems to me, just by common sense that in a well balanced poll, this struggle for living by the average person would be apparent in the results.
By the way, thanks for that link. I'm definitely interested in taking a look, especially if they show how the report was designed, as well as the outcome.

Edited by Sig

1 hour ago, Sig said:

The hype or PR about any developing nation as being a top "happy place" is very difficult for me to believe.

I wouldn't say #45 is "top" and the article merely claims, "top 50." True. 'Course, now, in the neighborhood Thailand beats out Malaysia at #64, Vietnam at #65, and the Phils at #70. So that's good, relatively, and makes sense instinctively. 

The report is heavy with objective statistical analysis, so it of course doesn't agree with the Eyeballs of our many ANF Experts.

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

I wouldn't say #45 is "top" and the article merely claims, "top 50." True. 'Course, now, in the neighborhood Thailand beats out Malaysia at #64, Vietnam at #65, and the Phils at #70. So that's good, relatively, and makes sense instinctively. 

The report is heavy with objective statistical analysis, so it of course doesn't agree with the Eyeballs of our many ANF Experts.

Yeah, I agree, "top" is subjective, but #45 out of about 194 countries in the world, is pretty good, that's for sure. It's likely not far off. My initial take was what felt to me as an absurdity to figure on young adults' take on things in countries that have such vast differences in how that age group develops socially in different cultures, yet measure them with the same scale. I looked through a fair amount of the data that was provided and it was interesting, although at times exceedingly boring to read through. Some of their metrics were, in my opinion, absurd. But, all in all, it's a highly complicated sort of survey to undertake. I'd guess that people with experience in a wide variety of countries and cultures would probably come up with a similar estimation without spending the kind of resources that went into this report.  Interesting nonetheless.

The restaurants smell like urine and are covered in flies.  The staff look like they haven't smiled in years.  Suwanipoom airport has some of the worst airport staff I have experienced.  Chang Watana immigration gave me a disease.  Doctor's letter and 5 days off.  Not exactly the land of smiles.

Edited by Chris Daley