European Visa for Thai GF

Can someone share a recent experience or advice?

Based in London. Looking to take my Thai other half, currently in UK on tourist visa, to either Italy or Portugal in August

I know usually should apply in Bangkok but possible to get a tourist visa though local embassy? I can see ualso just VFS for the admin..

Thanks!

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

As you said...from Bangkok👍

Don't comment if you don't know. It is possible to obtain a schengan visa direct from some embassies direct as long as you contact them first to ask. Those that do will inform of the process. I suggest you email a few ie Spain, France, Portugal etc and see. A schengan is valid across the EU although you are supposed to get a visa from the first country you visit or if visiting a few countries, the country where you will be spending most time. This is rarely enforced.

11 hours ago, Asmoseus_uk said:

I know usually should apply in Bangkok but possible to get a tourist visa though local embassy?

Yes it is possible.

The Schengen guidance says the visa should be obtained in home country before travelling unless there is some reason why it couldn't be done.

I know a few that have made successful applications in London, mainly on the basis it was a last minute decision to travel to Europe. For example a last minute promotional deal that wasn't available before leaving Thailand.

My wife has recently done one in Bangkok for Germany, more tedious than anything. The first since she stopped being the spouse of an EU citizen.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Antti said:

If you are not particular about the country and don't want to deal with visa hassles, take her to Turkey. Thai people can stay there for 30 days without a visa.

Indeed, took my wife to Turkey last year.

No problem whatsoever getting into Turkey. Different story trying to get out, passport checked multiple times and every check resulted in a protracted phone call over her UK visa. Scared stiff of any fallout from UK immigration.

This is from Greek forum : www.thai.gr : (see the report for Thais to Schengen countries and  it has included official form that you may download it from Britain Embassy in Bangkok)

Subject: Thai citizen's visa for Greece  

See also the signed declaration that must be completed and which you can get from our embassy in BKK.

Source:

https://www.thai.gr/forum/index.php?topic=592.75

and the Official form in PDF format is :

https://app.box.com/s/nrmk0qsp6i

7 hours ago, jimn said:

Don't comment if you don't know. It is possible to obtain a schengan visa direct from some embassies direct as long as you contact them first to ask. Those that do will inform of the process. I suggest you email a few ie Spain, France, Portugal etc and see. A schengan is valid across the EU although you are supposed to get a visa from the first country you visit or if visiting a few countries, the country where you will be spending most time. This is rarely enforced.

It’s actually a requirement that a Schengen Visa must be applied via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the applicants main destination in the Schengen Area, ie where they are spending the most time. If they are spending an equal amount of time in one or more Member State, they should apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the port of entry into the Schengen Area.

Far from being rarely enforced, l understand that it’s being rigorously enforced by some Member States, remember details of travel and accommodation must be submitted with application.

Not all the countries in the EU are in the Schengen Area, and not all countries that are Schengen Area member states are in the EU.

There are currently problems submitting applications in the UK, due to the lack of appointments at Visa Application Centres, it’s got to the point where agents are using bots to scan the appointment websites, booking slots and selling them on.

23 hours ago, theoldgit said:

It’s actually a requirement that a Schengen Visa must be applied via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the applicants main destination in the Schengen Area, ie where they are spending the most time. If they are spending an equal amount of time in one or more Member State, they should apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the port of entry into the Schengen Area.

Far from being rarely enforced, l understand that it’s being rigorously enforced by some Member States, remember details of travel and accommodation must be submitted with application.

Not all the countries in the EU are in the Schengen Area, and not all countries that are Schengen Area member states are in the EU.

There are currently problems submitting applications in the UK, due to the lack of appointments at Visa Application Centres, it’s got to the point where agents are using bots to scan the appointment websites, booking slots and selling them on.

I understand what you are saying. However my wife has had a number of Schengan visa's. First one was on the back of a recommendation by yourself to use the Netherlands embassy in Thailand. We never went to the Netherlands but entered first France and then Spain. Second was from the Swedish embassy, we went to France first before Sweden. Third we got again from the Swedish embassy but only went to France and Italy. 

At one time I wrote to one of the embassies in the UK and they replied with a process to get from the UK that we ended up not doing, so it is possible and not always has to be done in Bangkok. Also in my experience they do not check what country in the Schengan area issued the visa.

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

I understand what you are saying. However my wife has had a number of Schengan visa's. First one was on the back of a recommendation by yourself to use the Netherlands embassy in Thailand. We never went to the Netherlands but entered first France and then Spain. Second was from the Swedish embassy, we went to France first before Sweden. Third we got again from the Swedish embassy but only went to France and Italy. 

At one time I wrote to one of the embassies in the UK and they replied with a process to get from the UK that we ended up not doing, so it is possible and not always has to be done in Bangkok. Also in my experience they do not check what country in the Schengan area issued the visa.

Thats interesting, so just apply to the easiest one then, going there or not

15 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I find it bizarre all these regs to enter countries when they let in multiple thousands of migrants without visas, passports or any documents.

They are entering illegally and/or claiming asylum.  Not the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2024 at 2:20 PM, proton said:

Thats interesting, so just apply to the easiest one then, going there or not

By all means follow that advice if you’re prepared to ignore the rules and risk being denied entry at the border, and entered onto the SIS (Shenghen Information System) which could could affect future applications and attempts to enter the Schengen Area.

The rules are very clear, applicants must apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for their main destination, if they are planning to spend an equal amount of time in two or Member States they should apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for your point of entry into the Schengen Area.

I have no doubt that other members have had no problems flouting the rules, but I’m aware that some member states are clamping down on “visa shopping”, that’s where they supply details of a trip to one country and then attempt to enter with a totally different itinerary, and are refused entry.

• Thumbs Up 1