US Photo ID options

Galong

I'm planning on visiting my family in Virginia next summer. It's likely my last time visiting. My Va driver's license expires in Oct of the next year. I read that every other renewal has to be in person and that it can only be renewed one year in advance.  I'll be longer away than that. My last one was by mail, so this one will probably require an in-person visit.   I don't really need a driver's license per se, but I do need some form of photo ID other than my passport. 

Va and many states are going towards something called a REAL ID.

Has anyone here been able to get a DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) Photo ID online?  I'm pretty sure I've got all of the documents/statements required.

I also read about the USPS offering a photo ID that is just as usable and easier to get than dealing with the DMV.

Any insight on potential other photo IDs would be greatly appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why can't you just use your passport?

Generally states are going to require that you sign a form stating you are a resident of that state. Isn't signing such a statement a crime if you are not?

I am a legal resident of Virginia. I'm not a resident of Thailand. The IRS and Social Security Administration know I live here but have a US address. 

I'm trying to do everything legally and upfront. I'll tell the DMV that I spend most of my time out of the US. I'm still a resident.

If, in fact, it comes down to a legality issue, I'll go with just using my passport for ID purposes. 

Edited by Galong

10 minutes ago, Galong said:

I am a legal resident of Virginia. I'm not a resident of Thailand. The IRS and Social Security Administration know I live here but have a US address. 

I'm trying to do everything legally and upfront. I'll tell the DMV that I spend most of my time out of the US. I'm still a resident.

If, in fact, it comes down to a legality issue, I'll go with just using my passport for ID purposes. 

Based on your OP, you live in Thailand.

I'm assuming you use an address in Virginia but don't actually live there.

Many expats do that.

If that's the case, I doubt DMV would agree you're a resident there though.

It can be hard to be an expat sometimes doing U.S. stuff.

Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get a passport card from the embassy before you leave.

It's not good for international air travel but it is good as photo id for domestic air travel and other purposes 

It's easier to carry around than your passport and it's always good to have a second photo id.

Edited by taxout

On 6/27/2024 at 5:46 PM, Galong said:

My Va driver's license expires in Oct of the next year. I read that every other renewal has to be in person and that it can only be renewed one year in advance.  I'll be longer away than that. My last one was by mail, so this one will probably require an in-person visit.

According to this you have 90 days to renew after expiration…

Used a vpn to access the dmv website

IMG_2985.thumb.png.25ca1889fdf8430bf67f25e8ce519316.png

IMG_2986.thumb.jpeg.c7e9e796d952db218f203cc9d2280f96.jpeg

Edited by novacova

On 6/30/2024 at 3:56 PM, taxout said:

Get a passport card from the embassy before you leave.

It's not good for international air travel but it is good as photo id for domestic air travel and other purposes 

It's easier to carry around than your passport and it's always good to have a second photo id.

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm after... sorry if I didn't explain myself better.  I want a state photo ID card to use in future sign-ups where two forms of photo ID are required. I always use my passport as one and my Va driver's license as the other. My driver's license will expire in 2026. I'm visiting the US in 2025. I don't particularly need a driver's license, so any acceptable photo ID (that is acceptable for government departments such as SSA, IRS, etc) is what I'm after.

Thanks for your help.