High Pitch Ear Buzzing

digital

For almost 2 weeks now I've had a high pitch buzzing in my left ear, If I am watching tv or something where there is some other noise its not really noticeable, if I am reading in a quiet room its more noticeable especially once you know its there. If the ear is closed by laying on that side or covering it the buzz is there. I don't think my hearing is affected. It there most of the time but sometimes just stops for a while.

At first tried some hydrogen peroxide to clean the ear out in case its wax.

Been taking daily Merislon - Betahistine Mesailate since last Sunday I think.

Also tried Pseudoephedrine - only for 3 days on/off.  Oxymetazoline nasal spray - just a couple of times. Acetylcysteine again just a few times. Paracetamol. Saline rinse of nose starting today.

My wife has had covid after this started and is mostly better, I've checked myself 3 times and its negative.

I have had a sore throat come and go over last week after the buzzing started, both ears feel a bit congested, blocked or runny nose. For 2 days my other ear (right) was painful to touch under the ear where it meets the jaw but that seems better now.

Tried a few things so not really sure which if any are really the correct ones. Should I try some ear drops or something else? Thanks

Because I have some symptoms of a cold (blocked or runny nose, sore throat and the pain in the other ear) and my wife having covid I thought it likely to be due to congestion or similar. Most of the time it's fairly mild and I don't hear it over other noises unless I block my ear.

The Betahistine is supposedly for tinnitus, been taking that since last Sun evening.

I prefer a clinic to a hospital. I was going to go to my general Dr on Monday but maybe an ENT is better, there's one I have used a very long time ago (Dr Kongkrit) don't remember if it was good or not, closed until Monday evening now. Phuket, town area is preferred. - Thanks

Edited by digital

Today I'm a bit better than yesterday, the left ear buzz is not there all the time and again only really noticeable if I close my ear. My sore throat has improved my other ear still feels a bit blocked and hurts a little underneath.

Anyway, I found another ENT that was open today. He took a very quick look in my ears and then my throat and said I have a throat infection. Didn't feel like he was really listening was in and out very quick. He referred me for a Audiogram test to another place tomorrow and then go back to him after (ENT Dr only opens in the early evening, hearing place in the day). I asked if the throat infection was causing my minor ear buzz and he said he didn't know. Prescribed Cefuoxime 500mg twice daily for a week. 

36 minutes ago, digital said:

Today I'm a bit better than yesterday, the left ear buzz is not there all the time and again only really noticeable if I close my ear. My sore throat has improved my other ear still feels a bit blocked and hurts a little underneath.

Anyway, I found another ENT that was open today. He took a very quick look in my ears and then my throat and said I have a throat infection. Didn't feel like he was really listening was in and out very quick. He referred me for a Audiogram test to another place tomorrow and then go back to him after (ENT Dr only opens in the early evening, hearing place in the day). I asked if the throat infection was causing my minor ear buzz and he said he didn't know. Prescribed Cefuoxime 500mg twice daily for a week. 

Yeah exactly, he’ll just prescribe you stuff in a shotgun style approach without having any clue, with his number one concern being you come back for another visit and more tests and meds. 

the truth is the inner ear is a total enigma and doctors do t know what the hell they are doing in there or how to fix it. I would wait a few weeks if I were you, no meds, and see if it still there. Right now you’re likely just wasting money at the doctor

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, digital said:

Not really sure if I should be rushing to get this hearing test done and going back to the ENT Dr tomorrow, or to wait until the course of antibiotics is finished?

19 minutes ago, digital said:

Not really sure if I should be rushing to get this hearing test done and going back to the ENT Dr tomorrow, or to wait until the course of antibiotics is finished?

Unlikely the tinnitus is due to the throat infection, but time will tell.

Often it is due to hearing loss, hence the recommended audiogram.

There are ENTs who specialize in tinnitus but you won't find them in clinics or, for tha  matter, in Phuket.

By the way Betahistine  does nto treat tinnitus. It is for vertigo, specifically vertigo associated with Menieres Disease.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unlikely the tinnitus is due to the throat infection, but time will tell.

Often it is due to hearing loss, hence the recommended audiogram.

There are ENTs who specialize in tinnitus but you won't find them in clinics or, for tha  matter, in Phuket.

By the way Betahistine  does nto treat tinnitus. It is for vertigo, specifically vertigo associated with Menieres Disease.

Thanks Sheryl. 

The left ear buzz started first, then after a week the other symptoms including pain around the other right ear, at a similar time my wife had covid. Quite a coincidence if they aren't connected.

I've not noticed any hearing loss.

Do you think better to just go and do the tests now, or wait until the throat infection has gone first?

46 minutes ago, digital said:

Thanks Sheryl. 

The left ear buzz started first, then after a week the other symptoms including pain around the other right ear, at a similar time my wife had covid. Quite a coincidence if they aren't connected.

I've not noticed any hearing loss.

Do you think better to just go and do the tests now, or wait until the throat infection has gone first?

Up to you. I don't think it matters.

Is it possible  you also had/have COVID? As COVID does cause tinnitus in some people.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Up to you. I don't think it matters.

Is it possible  you also had/have COVID? As COVID does cause tinnitus in some people.

Thanks.

Covid is a possibility. About a week after the buzz started my wife had covid, I then started with some symptoms and tested 3 times last was Thu/Fri I think all were negative. It's possible I had covid first but with no symptoms.

If it was covid related how long would you expect it to last?

25 minutes ago, digital said:

Thanks.

Covid is a possibility. About a week after the buzz started my wife had covid, I then started with some symptoms and tested 3 times last was Thu/Fri I think all were negative. It's possible I had covid first but with no symptoms.

If it was covid related how long would you expect it to last?

In most people it gets better within a few months, but it does vary.

https://ada.com/covid/covid-19-tinnitus/

• Thanks 1

Several posts making veiled illusions to COVID vaccines and a reply to same have been remived.

COVID infection is linked to tinnitus.

The incidence of new onset of tinnitus after CIVID vaccine is quite low, about 4 in 10,000. Much lower than the incidence of it linked to COVID infection. 

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/lary.30395

• Agree 1