A Thai father kills himself after his son is assaulted and unfairly fined by the police

istockphoto-956721332-612x612.jpg

A 63-year-old Thai man named Sakorn tragically took his own life to enable his family to access his funeral fund. The money was intended to pay a fine imposed by the police, which his family viewed as unjust.

This incident occurred in the central province of Suphan Buri, Thailand and was widely discussed on Thai social media. Sakorn and his two sons were involved in a dispute that led to a punitive decision by the Songphinong Police Station officers, leading to the resultant tragedy.

Sakron’s 14-year-old son had a conflict with his school friend which escalated when the friend's father threatened him. The friend's father then physically assaulted the young boy and created a dangerous situation that caused a road accident.

Sakorn and his son went to the police station to report the incident, but they faced the unexpected burden of a 1,000 baht fine. Faced with financial constraints, the family was unable to pay this fine. Sakorn decided to commit suicide in the belief that his funeral fund would be used to resolve the situation.

Despite his older son, the 29-year-old Sakesan also known as James, trying to dissuade him, Sakorn hanged himself. His tragic end left his sons with a note asking them to take care of each other.

Officer Apichart Parnpare from the Songphinong Police Station stated that the fine was due to a miscommunication. The police only intended to fine the attacker, not the victim. The misunderstanding was that if the victim agreed to the attacker’s fine, the dispute would be considered resolved.

While the attacker admitted to the assault during an interview with media, circumstances of the financial hardship faced by Sakorn’s family were also disclosed. The family did not even have enough money to buy a coffin for Sakorn’s funeral. They were however, supported by a local temple and community members. The exact amount in Sakorn's funeral fund was not reported.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Sakorn and his son went to the police station to report the incident, but they faced the unexpected burden of a 1,000 baht fine. Faced with financial constraints, the family was unable to pay this fine. Sakorn decided to commit suicide in the belief that his funeral fund would be used to resolve the situation.

A tad OTT to sort out a 1,000 baht fine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It’s an odd part of the Thai justice system that so much seems to be sorted out by the exchange of money between the parties (and the police) without the involvement of the courts or any open fixed penalty system.

it just invites corruption and dissatisfaction for victims. Apart from charging/summonsing people to court or officially ticketing them, the police should have no part of financial negotiations, although it does make up for the pitiful official salaries they receive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

took his own life to enable his family to access his funeral fund. The money was intended to pay a fine imposed by the police

Sakron’s 14-year-old son had a conflict with his school friend which escalated when the friend's father threatened him. The friend's father then physically assaulted the young boy and created a dangerous situation that caused a road accident.

that the fine was due to a miscommunication. The police only intended to fine the attacker, not the victim.

Cause of death : miscommunication .

Sad . There is NO social security in Thailand .

Still 3rd world .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

It’s an odd part of the Thai justice system that so much seems to be sorted out by the exchange of money between the parties (and the police) without the involvement of the courts or any open fixed penalty system.

it just invites corruption and dissatisfaction for victims. Apart from charging/summonsing people to court or officially ticketing them, the police should have no part of financial negotiations, although it does make up for the pitiful official salaries they receive.

I see your point. But if the case does go to court there might often be a monetary compensation to the victim anyway. The Thais just cut out the middleman, the courts. Or there might not. With the Thai way, there is.

I saw a different form of justice, after a good for nothing nephew came into the house one night and stole some items, including a phone from beside where my wife was sleeping (I was away at the time), after I'd banned him from the house. No police were involved, but he was sent off to the army for a year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Officer Apichart Parnpare from the Songphinong Police Station stated that the fine was due to a miscommunication. The police only intended to fine the attacker, not the victim. The misunderstanding was that if the victim agreed to the attacker’s fine, the dispute would be considered resolved.

As always, it was a "misunderstanding".
After all.  Thai Police are well known to be misunderstood when exchanging the brown enveloppes.
Corruption of a third world country worth.

A very sad story IMO.  For all of you who question the drastic action taken by the father to support his son, please remember the 1,000 baht fine would be a drastic sum to pay for many poor families throughout Thailand. My condolences go to the elderly gentleman's family and shame on the local police station. May his ghost haunt the local police for their callous behaviour. No further comment from me other than to say I would willingly have paid the son's fine if I had known.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1