Are ATMs Disappearing?

I live in Chiang Mai. Previously all 711s that I have visited had an ATM. Recently one I often pass and sometimes stop to use the ATM, the ATM had gone. New 711 nearby no ATM. Yesterday I went to Rimping near iron bridge which used to have ATM, cash deposit and passbook update machines. All gone. Admittedly there are renovations being carried out so maybe removed for that. Last night was heading to local Thai bar for a drink and stopped at PTT station to fill car. Previously ATM there, gone. Drove a bit further and stopped another 711, no ATM.

Thankfully I could use QR code with my bank app but do like to carry some cash.

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The sensible thing for banks to do is share ATMs, even branches, cashless is taking over, I scan QR 75% of the time

I mainly use QR code but had a few issues lately that I could not use it after midnight with Bangkok Bank. So ATMs my main back up but now disappearing. Just carry small amount cash.

My main point of post it ATMs disappearing from servos and 711s and other none bank locations.

4 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

My main point of post it ATMs disappearing from servos and 711s and other none bank locations.

There was a similar thread a few months or more ago about this with posters chiming in from all over but specifically Pattaya. 

Presumably banks see it as cutting costs and reducing theft/card cloning exposure.

It is apparently worse in the UK but at least there some people are trying to reverse it.

10 minutes ago, topt said:

There was a similar thread a few months or more ago about this with posters chiming in from all over but specifically Pattaya. 

Presumably banks see it as cutting costs and reducing theft/card cloning exposure.

It is apparently worse in the UK but at least there some people are trying to reverse it.

Didn't see post. Just noticed lately my area the reducing numbers.

With cashless making it way into our lives we probably wont need ATMs in the future is I guess cost cutting by banks and also to get us more used to using QR codes on our phones.

11 hours ago, topt said:

I am not aware of the disappearance of any ATMs in Pattaya, although almost all of the BBL ones were out of service for a long period last month. 

Definitely in my area.Tesco has dropped from 3 to one. Big C from 5 to one and the removal of one bank office.

As stated by others it's mostly QR code now, even the noodle shops ! Pizza company have had a sign up along time stating "cashless store" .

29 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Definitely in my area.Tesco has dropped from 3 to one. Big C from 5 to one and the removal of one bank office.

As stated by others it's mostly QR code now, even the noodle shops ! Pizza company have had a sign up along time stating "cashless store" .

So what do you do if you have no access to the web? Have no smart phone?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, topt said:

Since I started the earlier thread last year our nearest ATM is now 7km away 😞 

Even our local food-hut has QR payment.

Here's the earlier thread: -

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

As stated by others it's mostly QR code now, even the noodle shops

Was at the bars recently and one of those ladies selling small packs snacks came past. A bar lady asked me for some snacks. I just said I had no cash so the seller showed a tag hanging around her neck, a QR code.

On the other hand went to the newest 711 near me and bought a fair amount of stuff. Checked out so said scan (QR) please. Reply was sorry don't have.

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

So what do you do if you have no access to the web? Have no smart phone?

Ok for a little while but in the near future you will soon require.

One reason for the Thai Govt to offer 10,000 baht to 50 million Thais which will be paid to a digital wallet. For 10,000 I think most people will get a smartphone if they don't own one.